Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...so I purchased a car today over the phone. The salesman sent me a PDF file with the window sticker showing the VIN# and equipment on the car. Now he tells me it's a car from before the catastrophe in Japan. If these cars are just arriving now, how can they be before the catastrophe in Japan....have they been at sea for over a month? Are there any cars arriving now that are post tsunami and earthquake or are all the cars here so far been from before the earthquake? Sorry to sound stupid on the issue but was just wondering how long if they are what he says.....where have these cars been for so long?

·
Registered
32 Posts
bondguy, on the printout for my car with the anticipated ship date, etc. that is given to the dealer, it says my car's production date was 4/7/2011 - after the earthquake. The ship date on that paper and the more detailed description of my car's specs and costs don't match, but they're both in April. I am also now wondering where your car has been hiding since March.

·
Registered
283 Posts
bondguy, on the printout for my car with the anticipated ship date, etc. that is given to the dealer, it says my car's production date was 4/7/2011 - after the earthquake. The ship date on that paper and the more detailed description of my car's specs and costs don't match, but they're both in April. I am also now wondering where your car has been hiding since March.
Seeing a lot of the shipping ports and roads where cars were shipped from were closed, may have been a logistics problem in getting the vehicle from the manufactureing facility to a shipping port/ship.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My guess is they've been sitting at a port for months.
I think this is one of those questions that do not have a perfect answer; only guesses and assumptions...or whatever customers want to hear. When I bought my CT, my salesman told me it was in transit ...on a boat due to dock in a week or so. He did not realize the vessel name was on the printout he gave me. Vessel tracker says it's been at the port more than two weeks before I even bought the CT. Then he told me the earthquake caused a lot of delays because of customs paperwork, processing, etc. at the port. The stories, explanations, excuses just kept going every few days (because he told me to check with him "tomorrow" every time we talk). Then one day, "Come on over and pick it up".

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing a lot of the shipping ports and roads where cars were shipped from were closed, may have been a logistics problem in getting the vehicle from the manufactureing facility to a shipping port/ship.
I think you can decode the VIN# to determine certain things...is date of manufacture one of them? Only the last 6 digits are unique to each car's VIN#. Anyone know how to decode and if it shows date of manufacture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts