Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 CT.
I was wondering what is the top speed you can get with EV what do you do to get above 10 mph.
I only get up to 10 mph even if I coast slowly to increase speed.
As soon as I hit 10 mph it deactivates ev mode for excessive speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It can deactivate for excess speed or excess acceleration - I get into mid twenties before it cuts out but it can cut back in at higher speeds when it seems to interpret only slight effort is being required to maintain speeds - often on down inclines

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was driving on flat ground and accelerating very slowly. The battery showed like 80% charge which I believe is basically full.
I was just wondering why it kicks out at 10mph and if that is normal.

How do you get it to the mid 20s? Does it have to be in eco, normal, or sport to get that?

Part of my curiosity is I was reading about plug in conversions, but I dont see the point if you cant run off EV only over 10mph. I also read that some people with prius's were getting up to 30+mph with EV only, but I dont see how the software will allow that just because you have a full battery when I cant even get it to go over 10mph.
I guess the conditions for the computer to stay in EV are not clear.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the answer.
Gen3 warming up stages | PriusChat

You cannot go over 10mph in EV until the gas engine reaches temp 70C/158F then the computer will allow you turn the engine off and run in EV limited to 25mph max.
Toyota makes no sense in this logic as using EV when you start in a parking lot is really its only use, but they purposely wont let you use it. At least I know why it wont go over 10 mph in EV.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I can go from 0 to 35mph on EV only after the engine is warmed up and accelerating at a slower rate (if you try to accelerate too fast it will turn on the gas engine).
Once you hit 35mph any acceleration will start the gas engine, but after acceleration it will go back to EV only up to 50mph. Once over 50mph then the gas engine runs all the time except when you release the gas pedal and slow down then the gas engine will turn of and the battery will charge.

I was getting 35mpg at 80mph when I did my recent 2,100 mile drive from Boston to Houston and 44mpg in stop and go traffic for about 60 mile drive where half the drive was stopping/going slow and the other half was 70mph.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My EV cutoff point is 45mph. If you are below 45mph, and you feather the throttle, the car will drop into EV mode, as long as you keep the needle in the ECO gauge, right at ECO or below. I can easily tool around 1 mile or more in EV when driving the country roads around my home, as the speed limit is 40mph, so I drive just a hair under 45mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts