Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I press the EV mode button, for example while driving in a parking lot, I'm finding that it beeps and cancels EV mode whenever going over about 8 MPH- and the display reads that the speed was excessive for EV mode. It happens regardless of how much the battery is charged. I thought it should stay in EV mode until 25 or so MPH, so are there other conditions which cause EV to cancel prematurely?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It bothered me too. But sleepypete is right. There are like 5 different warm up stages, one of them kicks off EV mode at 8-10 mph when not yet at operating temp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can still drive electrically up to about 45mph... It just cancels "EV mode" above 8mph or so. I dot think it's because of cold temps. But the car is still in "EV". Kind of confusing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can still drive electrically up to about 45mph... It just cancels "EV mode" above 8mph or so. I dot think it's because of cold temps. But the car is still in "EV". Kind of confusing.
No - there's a definite reluctance to switch off the engine and go all electric when the engine's in the warm up procedures. I notice this on my route in to work where there's plenty of 30mph zone but no Electric Only driving until the car has warmed up and done the idle ceremony.

The EV button is pretty much just a device to tell the car you don't want it using the engine for a while, in normal driving the car finds its own balance between engine and electric. During the warm up cycle, hitting the EV button will give you a message of "EV Mode unavailable" (similar message, same meaning, bad memory :cool:)

The S1a description is a little confusing - I think the car can come out of it before the 50 seconds if you ask for more speed than minimal. Although that could be the car driving off Electric with no limits with the engine doing warmups.
S1b - seen this. On my route into work I either have to go through a choke point early or a choke point later. One morning going through the early choke point, I hit the EV button when stopped to have the car tell me it was unavailable. Cue brain going "whatdat?" (pre-coffee)
S3 - after that choke point there's about a mile of 40mph road, there's no chance for the idle check ceremony until traffic lights. 40mph electric typically becomes active after stopping at those traffic lights.

All that said though, there could easily be differences between how the software's set up for regions (like the reversing gridlines). It'll also depend on where the car lives, if it's in a warm garage you may never see the early warmup steps.

What the driver wants to do is be aware of the steps, recognise if the car is in one of them and see if they can do anything to persuade the car to move on to the S4 fully operational step.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can get the HSD to go into EV mode in the morning by using the following practice: Turn on the car as normal (note: the cabin heater and seat heaters must be OFF or the computer will think that you want heat - which is provided by the warmth from the radiator fluid -- and will keep the ICE running to meet the demand from the HVAC system to provide heat) and let it run through its initial system check. I believe that this is S0 (when it's already warmed up or warm days) and through S1 when its cold (below40c) and/or the first start on a cold morning. I let the ICE run until it stops. This lasts anywhere from ~60 seconds to a high of ~150 seconds. I then open the garage door and back out (I am NOT in EV mode) - and while granny footing the accelerator pedal, I can drive the entrance of my subdivision on elictirc power only (Golf Cart mode). I can reach speeds up to 35 mph, but that's slightly over the 'limit' for my neighborhood so I try to keep it under 35 mph.

During the initial warm up stages (S0~S1), while sitting still in my garage, I will lose .2 MPG, but I gain .3 ~ .4 MPG on my drive to the entrance so it's a net gain of .1 ~ .2 <-- OK, not much, but I "feel" better and I'm really, really quiet as I exit my neighborhood. Once I reach the main road, I must engage the ICE as it is required to meet the speed that the other traffic is doing so the remaining stages (S1b --> S4) are met in the next 1.0 ~ 1.5 miles. I also have one traffic light and stop signs that I encounter -- and by the 4th one, I have achieved S4 and can (if the accelerator pedal is pressed "easy") drive in electric mode once the "idling check ceremony" has finished.

If I have the "Got to's and can't help it's" and have to have heat, I will turn on the seat heater and warm up that way until after the sytem achieves S4 - and even then I try to limit the use of the HVAC system unless I am above 42 mph (the ICE spins above 42 mph anyway, so it might as well be providing power). Once S4 has been achieved, you can also turn on your HVAC, reach your desired cabin temp and then switch it off. If you have the system set to provide fersh air (not recirculating) then the "flow" of air into the system will provide enough heat to maintain the cabin temps unless its really really cold outside.

note: these examples are with both my HyHi and the PriusG3. My CT is due within the next 30 days so I'm eager to see if there are improvements to the way that the HSD functions on my daily commute.
note2: when returning home, I use a similar practice although I have a lesser distance to travel until I reach the major road where I must keep up with traffic (I'm not a Hybrid driver that impedes other drivers in order to reach max mpg. I get my satisfaction at the pump each time I fill up).
note3: I've noticed ~10% drop in MPG since we switched over the the winter formulation gas. If I am unlucky enough to have to fill up with 10% ethenol gas (not all stations carry it so I try to avoid those that do), I also get ~10% penalty in my MPG. Winter formulation gas + 10% ethenol = "ouch"

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I can get the HSD to go into EV mode in the morning by using the following practice: Turn on the car as normal (note: the cabin heater and seat heaters must be OFF or the computer will think that you want heat - which is provided by the warmth from the radiator fluid -- and will keep the ICE running to meet the demand from the HVAC system to provide heat) and let it run through its initial system check. I believe that this is S0 (when it's already warmed up or warm days) and through S1 when its cold (below40c) and/or the first start on a cold morning. I let the ICE run until it stops. This lasts anywhere from ~60 seconds to a high of ~150 seconds. I then open the garage door and back out (I am NOT in EV mode) - and while granny footing the accelerator pedal, I can drive the entrance of my subdivision on elictirc power only (Golf Cart mode). I can reach speeds up to 35 mph, but that's slightly over the 'limit' for my neighborhood so I try to keep it under 35 mph.

During the initial warm up stages (S0~S1), while sitting still in my garage, I will lose .2 MPG, but I gain .3 ~ .4 MPG on my drive to the entrance so it's a net gain of .1 ~ .2 <-- OK, not much, but I "feel" better and I'm really, really quiet as I exit my neighborhood. Once I reach the main road, I must engage the ICE as it is required to meet the speed that the other traffic is doing so the remaining stages (S1b --> S4) are met in the next 1.0 ~ 1.5 miles. I also have one traffic light and stop signs that I encounter -- and by the 4th one, I have achieved S4 and can (if the accelerator pedal is pressed "easy") drive in electric mode once the "idling check ceremony" has finished.

If I have the "Got to's and can't help it's" and have to have heat, I will turn on the seat heater and warm up that way until after the sytem achieves S4 - and even then I try to limit the use of the HVAC system unless I am above 42 mph (the ICE spins above 42 mph anyway, so it might as well be providing power). Once S4 has been achieved, you can also turn on your HVAC, reach your desired cabin temp and then switch it off. If you have the system set to provide fersh air (not recirculating) then the "flow" of air into the system will provide enough heat to maintain the cabin temps unless its really really cold outside.

note: these examples are with both my HyHi and the PriusG3. My CT is due within the next 30 days so I'm eager to see if there are improvements to the way that the HSD functions on my daily commute.
note2: when returning home, I use a similar practice although I have a lesser distance to travel until I reach the major road where I must keep up with traffic (I'm not a Hybrid driver that impedes other drivers in order to reach max mpg. I get my satisfaction at the pump each time I fill up).
note3: I've noticed ~10% drop in MPG since we switched over the the winter formulation gas. If I am unlucky enough to have to fill up with 10% ethenol gas (not all stations carry it so I try to avoid those that do), I also get ~10% penalty in my MPG. Winter formulation gas + 10% ethenol = "ouch"
I commend you on your frugality :):):):)

My wife drives her Ct with no special regard and gets 43 mpg - she's happy !!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi Lexus peoples, I've said this before and I'm going to say it again. With respect - don't forget that you have a little technological masterpiece seamlessly doing its thing for you, so sit back, luxuriate in Lexus luxury - and just enjoy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Lexus peoples, I've said this before and I'm going to say it again. With respect - don't forget that you have a little technological masterpiece seamlessly doing its thing for you, so sit back, luxuriate in Lexus luxury - and just enjoy.
:D

+1 on that for sure

·
Registered
371 Posts
However, while we’re enjoying this little technological masterpiece and its seamlessly approach of doing all things for us, it’s nice to know what it’s actually doing and how it operates. As we all pretty much know, Lexus logic is not always spot on. There are a lot of logical things from Lexus that baffle my mind i.e., why do the foot well lights dim, but are always on, when driving your CT at night? Why are there no backup guide lines on the navigational screen, but guide lines are present if you have the backup feature built into the rearview mirror? As you read through this forum you’ll see other anomalies that make you pause and say, “I wonder what the heck Lexus was thinking when they did that?” Inquiring minds want to know a little bit more.

Just my 2-cents worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts