Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
What is the difference between these two symbols on the instrument cluster? I understand that the "EV Mode" indicator text appears when the EV Mode button is pressed. But what is different about the the EV Indicator (the little car symbol with EV written inside)? The manual says that it comes on when driving the vehicle using only the electric motor.

Does this mean that the gas engine is still on but acting in series as opposed to parallel?

Thank you,
amishomelet

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
EV Mode is when you can select driving mode where gas engine will not be on, and you can only go slow speeds. You will get a warning if you are exceeding limit and it will automatically dip back into normal driving mode with the gas engine.

The little EV indicator (car with EV) comes on like the manual says when electric power is being used only in other driving modes than EV. Now this can occur at low speeds before the gas engine kicks in, or when you lift off the gas as other speeds and electric engine is keeping speed. I believe the EV indicator also comes on when you let off gas and you are just cruising. You can check this out by switching it into sport mode with the tach. You will see the rev counter goes down to zero because gas engine is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I was wondering because when I test drove the car I was traveling at a constant 40mph and the EV indicator was on. I was suprised to see that and turned to ask the associate, but he didn't have an answer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wish the EV Mode speed threshold was a little bit higher (like at least 30mph). I think it's 25mph (?)...seems like it shuts off EV right when you reach 25. I hate having to put in the extra effort to keep it at 20-23mph. Neighbors probably think I'm showing off my new car as I creep through slooooowly.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
EV mode is 20 mph or so, I think.

However, you can gas the car up to 40 mph and let off on the throttle until the EV light comes on, then keep the needle in the center of the gauge (where the word ECO is printed) and run on electric mode as long as the battery is high and as long as you don't go higher than 40 mph or gas the car hard.

·
Registered
115 Posts

However, you can gas the car up to 40 mph and let off on the throttle until the EV light comes on, then keep the needle in the center of the gauge (where the word ECO is printed) and run on electric mode as long as the battery is high and as long as you don't go higher than 40 mph or gas the car hard.
Yes - that is exactly what i do. i raised my initial mpg from ~42 mpg to closer to ~45-46 mpg without any Eco mode (mostly Normal/Sport).

·
Registered
267 Posts

I think EV Mode is up to 25mph, and the 'Eco Mode EV' is...40mph(?).
I do that all the time, but when it comes to neighborhoods with lots of stop signs and speed limit of 25mph, I'd like to (try to) go 100% EV without that boost of speed from the gas.
Either way...takes some effort.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
What's EV / ECO mode?

I drive my wife's car aggressively in sport mode , all the time.

It drives her crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
What's EV / ECO mode?

I drive my wife's car aggressively in sport mode , all the time.

It drives her crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use this approch carefully.... I used to do that as well. Now however I've been banned from ever driving her vehicle again :eek::rolleyes::)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think EV Mode is up to 25mph, and the 'Eco Mode EV' is...40mph(?).
I do that all the time, but when it comes to neighborhoods with lots of stop signs and speed limit of 25mph, I'd like to (try to) go 100% EV without that boost of speed from the gas.
Either way...takes some effort.
according to my salesman and I think I read it somewhere, the MPH limit for up to 1 mile in EV is 28 MPH...but what do I know...I don't even have my car yet

·
Registered
115 Posts
according to my salesman and I think I read it somewhere, the MPH limit for up to 1 mile in EV is 28 MPH...but what do I know...I don't even have my car yet
take it from a guy who has his CT already, when NOT in EV mode, your EV light can go on (in the "eco" range but not just in Eco-mode - it works in normal mode as well, and even Sport - but harder to gauge in Sport-mode because the "Eco-meter" changes to a tachometer) well up to 35-40 mph while coasting. your real-time fuel-efficiency gauge goes to >90+mpg during that time suggesting that minimal-to-no gas is being used while the EV-light is on. i actually find this more practical than EV-mode which is very sensitive to the gas pedal (even when under 28 mph, when you press the gas to accelerate even slightly aggressively your EV-mode disengages- very annoying). when i actually try to do EV-mode in residential areas, a line of cars behind me starts to form suggesting to me that i am accelerating much too slowly... you can effectively be in "EV-mode" when in Normal mode just by slow acceleration and stay ~30 mph.

·
Registered
516 Posts
take it from a guy who has his CT already, when NOT in EV mode, your EV light can go on (in the "eco" range but not just in Eco-mode - it works in normal mode as well, and even Sport - but harder to gauge in Sport-mode because the "Eco-meter" changes to a tachometer) well up to 35-40 mph while coasting. your real-time fuel-efficiency gauge goes to >90+mpg during that time suggesting that minimal-to-no gas is being used while the EV-light is on. i actually find this more practical than EV-mode which is very sensitive to the gas pedal (even when under 28 mph, when you press the gas to accelerate even slightly aggressively your EV-mode disengages- very annoying). when i actually try to do EV-mode in residential areas, a line of cars behind me starts to form suggesting to me that i am accelerating much too slowly... you can effectively be in "EV-mode" when in Normal mode just by slow acceleration and stay ~30 mph.
very helpful...thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts