Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so jealous of all CT200h owners, for I have yet to get mine. Glad to know that there is a group of dedicated CT200'ers enthusiasts out there. I am from northeast and interested to know how does this baby perform on snow covered roads?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi there - hope it's not long before you get your CT :)

Snow covered roads - think there's a few threads where people have talked about it. I haven't driven mine on snow (we got snow for 1 evening here ... that was it) but I've been paying attention to the threads. What you need to know is that we have a traction control system that doesn't* have an off switch. So if your tyres can't grip the ground, the car might decide "I have no grip whatsoever!!!" "I cannot move" and refuse to do anything when you hit the throttle.

*(you can turn off the traction control but it's a procedure that involves putting the car in a maintenance mode that disables controls that keep the motors and engine intact).

The usual anti-snow things seem to be what you need :
Winter tyres
Snow chains
Sensible decision for the "do I need to travel?"
That last is where a lot of Brit drivers get it very badly wrong in snow.

Wonder if we have any Scandinavian CT owners around the forum who'd have a lot more experience in snowy conditions ...

PS Anyone who has driven a CT on snow - please chip in. First hand knowledge beats second hand every time :D

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'm in Ct - snow tires definitely needed. Very poor traction on stock tires.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm in Ct - snow tires definitely needed. Very poor traction on stock tires.
Agreed. I have discussed this on other threads - anyone who drives the CT in the winter MUST put snow tires on. The car will slip and slide and go right through stop signs unless you have good snows on. Once the snows are on, the CT is amazing in the winter. My snows handled anything winter threw at me. The car handles extremely well in the winter.

232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the wealth of responses. I checked on Tire Rack and found good selection of winter/snows for the 215/45R17 sizes by Pirelli Winter SottoZero, Continental extremeWinter Contact, Bridgestone Blizzark, but the Michelin Winter Primacy Alpin will certainly be a good match for the oem Michelin Primacy's. You can get it away by mounting only the front wheels, but then you have to match the aftermarket front rims with the rear ones. Or simply get four premounted studless with aftermarket Chinese rims. I surfed on Taiwanese webpage set up by Asian ct200H fanatics and they are hotly discussing about disabling the traction control, which I am sure they will successfully achieve it without difficulties. This is different than setting it in the "service mode". I learned from one of these websites how to disable the override of the Nav touchscreen on mine 2002 RX300 to enter destinations while in motion. In my opinion, Lexus is flawed in not providing an inhibit mode for the traction control so that we here in the Northeast can negotiate the snowy roads. Look at Mini Coopers, they do the Arctic race with FWD cars and stud less winter snow tires. In the meantime, setting it to "service mode" and mount winter stud less snow tires should do the trick for us in the Northeast.

BTW: never .... never.... NEVER use chains on any FWD vehicles, you are gonna screw up for good the CV joints.

232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
welcome....i'm local to you, and a Service Consultant @ LEXUS OF ROUTE 10 :)
Thanx for the introduction. Can you ask Lexus why ct200H did not make the Clean Vehicle Program of NY/NJ ezPass GREEN PASS eligibility list? It would have been an awesome market achievement to enjoy the $4.00 off peak toll at any bridge/tunnel crossings in the metropolitan area. ct200H just fell a tad short of the 45 mpg target.

·
Registered
29 Posts
KKM,
I know I'm late in chiming in but wondering if you've had any problems with using chains on your trips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.