Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

after owning 2 Prius (2006+2010) and now driving the CT, I was used to the sound of the CVT while accelerating.
Although Lexus did much better damping and insulation on the CT compared to the Prius, Auris HSD, and the Yaris HSD, I wanted to improve the status quo.
Only thing I did was to put damping mats under the engine bonnet, and I must say I am surprised of the great result. The car now sounds grown up.
It's much quieter while accelerating even in the middle power section of the display.

Here's what I did:

I recommend that to every CT owner. Easy done and cheap.

Kind regards
G.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
What a great idea. I too feel the engine noise is a little excessive in the CT.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good. Where did you get the mats? Do you think it affects the engine in any way? I would be concerned with restricting air circulation around the engine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As the engine is cooled by water and not by air, there are no negative effects to expect.
I had to do the recall-repair of the exhaust-ventile last week, and the mechanic also told me that this was a good job/idea and that it does not interfere with the system.
So, no, I'm not concerned.

I bought the mats at a local car parts dealer. 1 sq. metre for € 30,-. The mats are especially for the engine compartment.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am sure you did the right thing fitting the proper material for under-the-hood installation or you could have some unusual smells or worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, sorry. But it's water- and oilresistant and also non flammable.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would wonder if over time, the insulating prolong heat would accelerate deterioration of plastic and rubber parts within the compartment? it might be a none issue but that would be the only question I have, otherwise, good idea.

·
Registered
232 Posts
what material are we suppose to use? sound absorber or sound reflector?

i am looking for something to reduce engine sounds as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dynamat has a good reputation for car related sound deadner. They sell it at Amazon so check out the user reviews for the ones that are most effective.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@ joe166: Thx, of course it is NON-flammable. I corrected my posting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great job !
I find my ct quiet but anything adding silence is welcome !)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice. There is some sound insulation already in the hood. How do you stick the new insulation on? Do you use glue? If so, which one?

Many thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shown mats have a self-adhesive surface on one side. The original mat is under the new one. Sticks perfectly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
To me, the noise is coming through the firewall so I'm thinking that when you pad the underside of the hood it is absorbning some of the noise before it reaches your ears. What if you can insulate the sound from coming through the firewall instead? Maybe do both for even quieter sound, although just the firewall would be cheaper and easier if one could. I don't recall if there is room, I'll have to look under the hood when I get out of work.

·
Registered
990 Posts
To me, the noise is coming through the firewall so I'm thinking that when you pad the underside of the hood it is absorbning some of the noise before it reaches your ears. What if you can insulate the sound from coming through the firewall instead? Maybe do both for even quieter sound, although just the firewall would be cheaper and easier if one could. I don't recall if there is room, I'll have to look under the hood when I get out of work.
You'd be surprised but the noise is not coming through the firewall. There is quite a bit of insulation already in there hence being a "firewall". Most of the noise is traveling through the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts