Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to post....rod bearing punched hole in block (behind oil filtet) while on its way to MS. Towed to Lexus dealer in Jackson. Used engine ($2350 shipped) from car parts planet via CA. Dealer says 45 hours to swap engines and have car running again. Cant find anywhere on internet that justifies 45 hours to swap, even with some for diagnosis. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 CT200h, no kit alterations
16 Posts
I'm considering the same thing: repair or replace, both around the same cost... Mine is overheating, no knocking, no shake, but I don't know what else it could be besides a head gasket. If interested in knowing more about what I'm experiencing, check out my post on the matter.
I replaced my engine. These little engines start from a dead stop when transitioning from electric and if coolant is in a chamber and that happens a few times, things get bent and the cylinder may not be making it to the top of its chamber. Have the mechanic check that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to post....rod bearing punched hole in block (behind oil filtet) while on its way to MS. Towed to Lexus dealer in Jackson. Used engine ($2350 shipped) from car parts planet via CA. Dealer says 45 hours to swap engines and have car running again. Cant find anywhere on internet that justifies 45 hours to swap, even with some for diagnosis. Any thoughts?
They are ripping you off big time!! It does not need 45 hour of work to swap a Lexus CT200h engine! They are milking you fat!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, not sure if the difference in distance might be a problem seeing that I'm all the way in South Africa. I'm also new on this forum and need similar kind of advice as most of you in this post. I took my 2011 Ct200h in yesterday after it started shaking when being driven at low speeds or in traffic or up a steep, the car is also "sipping" coolant like juice - a liter of coolant doesn't last an hour.

I've just been informed that I need a new engine, the one in there despite being drivable is dead. My questions are, has anyone ever replaced a Ct200h engine? and, is it worth it? or am I better off looking for a new car.

I feel defeated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you or your mechanic can do the workaround, installing the 4th gen Prius engine would be best, or so I've read on forums and articles online.

Depends what your alternatives are in South Africa. Is the HV battery okay (I think there's ways to test that but I haven't done it myself)? If it is, I would get the engine replacement if it cost less than $3,000 USD labor and parts included.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
289 Posts
Either the engine has to be replaced, or the head gasket replaced. It's a matter of what is available to be done in your country. I'm not sure how many of these cars are down there, but if there are enough, then maybe there are mechanics experienced enough to take care of you and the car. Sorry about the trouble!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you or your mechanic can do the workaround, installing the 4th gen Prius engine would be best, or so I've read on forums and articles online.

Depends what your alternatives are in South Africa. Is the HV battery okay (I think there's ways to test that but I haven't done it myself)? If it is, I would get the engine replacement if it cost less than $3,000 USD labor and parts included.
Thanks for the advice, the mechanic says the HV battery is still in tact so all we need is basically the engine. I'll ask the mechanic about the workaround if we were to install a 4th gen Prius like you suggested, but "This is Africa" so I'm not banking on that be a possibility.

I already suspect that the dealership might be struggling to find a 2011 replacement engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Either the engine has to be replaced, or the head gasket replaced. It's a matter of what is available to be done in your country. I'm not sure how many of these cars are down there, but if there are enough, then maybe there are mechanics experienced enough to take care of you and the car. Sorry about the trouble!
Hi Tobias, from what I understand from the chats I had with the dealership yesterday as well as a second opinion from a service manager at a different dealership that I called, the option to replace the head gasket is not going to fly at all - I'm not a mechanic and my understanding of what goes on under the bonnet (or hood) is very limited but I also suggested the same thing - replace the head gasket, however both dealerships are adamant that the engine truly needs to be replaced, maybe there's more damage elsewhere hence replacing the head gasket would not solve the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the advice, the mechanic says the HV battery is still in tact so all we need is basically the engine. I'll ask the mechanic about the workaround if we were to install a 4th gen Prius like you suggested, but "This is Africa" so I'm not banking on that be a possibility.

I already suspect that the dealership might be struggling to find a 2011 replacement engine.
You don't want another 3rd gen Prius engine unless it's low mileage or confirmed not to be plagued by the head hasket issue.

So not a lot of scrap yards or wreckers in your country?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts