Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some weird high revving happen a few times in the last few months. (2011, 198K kms)

I understand that the only time the engine should be running once it is warmed up and the car is stopped, is when the hybrid battery has dropped to a low level, in which case it fires up and idles for a few minutes to charge the battery a few bars. (Long wait at lights or a slow drive-thru typically)
When warming up, the car is idling too.

What I've observed a few times now, particularly waiting at the lights having just come off the Freeway, the engine fires up despite the battery meter having plenty of bars, and slowly rises in revs to I'm guessing about 4,000 rpm. It will keep it pegged at that for a while (up to 30s, 90s?) and then drop revs and switches off.
The energy flow diagram in the Nav unit shows no flows while it revving like crazy.
The accelerator pedal is not touched at all during this time.

Any explanations?
I thought maybe the winter air at freeway speeds had cooled a sensor and the engine thought it needed to warm up. A stretch, but even then why would it rev at 4,000rpm to do this?
Very infrequent. It drives around like normal all the time, just observed it a few times, at that freeway exit intersection and maybe one other location?

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200h Premium Navi
107 Posts
I’ve experienced this when the battery is beyond the upper limit of optimally charged. I’ve read it’s detrimental to keep the HV battery overcharged for long periods of time, and the powertrain depletes the charge overage by cycling the ICE without fuel.

The actual engine RPM is exaggerated compared to what you feel (i.e. subjective). Turn Sport mode on next time to see actual RPM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts