Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does it happen to any one else ?
i have a 2014 ct200h that gives me a random problem
when battery is fully charged and i stop at a red light for a few minutes the car does not turn off to electric mode (ev light)
on the screen you do not see any charge or anything hapeening but the car is on high RPM like it is charging or warming up
i have gone to the dealer and they do not see any error code
the car still runs on about 1000-1100 rpm at the light

any clue to what can couse this issue ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use to have a 06 Prius, and the car would do this at the same time yours is doing it.
I haven't experienced it with the CT yet.

It's not a issue though.
Basically the car is trying to take away some of the charge in the battery.
Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do experience the same thing and I can't seem to find the issue. This happens on a hot summer day with AC turned off and the car engine just won't shut off. I've tried turning off and turning on the car again but no luck. The car goes back to normal after it has been shut off for a few hours.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My only other suggestion is to check the 12 volt battery.
But, it seems your cars aren't old enough for that to really be an issue yet.

I'd at least check the voltage when the cars been parked for a few hours. Anything under 12.3 is lower than it should be.

I should mention, the Prius (and so I'd guess the CT as well) does funny things when the 12 volt batteries start to die.
And this has been one of the issues Prius owners have seen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IDK, so this is pure conjecture: 1. The cooling fan and water pump for the gas engine might need to run/run at higher RPMs at those times as a result of the conditions you have been driving under, or 2. The battery coolant system and fan might be running (same reason). I like #2 b/c you say the battery is fully charged, implying to me a hot charging system or battery at that time. Again, random thoughts only.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My suspicion is that when pulling away from a stop normally, with Internal Compression Engine (ICE) off, you are using the larger electric motor, MG2 in forward and the smaller MG1 spinning in reverse, giving you the combined power of both electric motors.
But if ICE is spinning, it initially acts as a fulcrum, putting pressure on the ICE until MG2 gets up to speed with the ICE, while MG1 is possibly pulling torque out of the equation.
Take a look at this cool animation of the three working together:
Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sorry 2012CTinSD, but I don't see how this is relevant at all to the high RPM question...
Ok , but when you started driving did your car felt like it is choking and had a struggle to start moving ?

It happens to me when this issue is acoring
I suspect the struggling to start moving is caused by what I described.
I'll try to make it clearer.

When ICE is off, we are in EV mode and the two electric motor work in tandem to propel the engine forward.
The ICE acts as a static fulcrum.
The torque and HP or MG1 and MG2 are essentially added (the math being more complicated than that).

When ICE is on (non-EV mode) and you accelerate from a stop, the ICE initially adds very close to NO power and I suspect actually robs power.
If you go to that website and set ICE to about 1011RPM (eyal2011 said 1000 to 1100 RPM) the MG1 is at 3639RPM.
Since battery is full I am GUESSING that it is dumping electricity from battery to MG1, possibly assisting the ICE with idle.
As we start to accelerate, MG2 kicks in providing possibly nearly all the torque. The ICE acts as an inefficient non-static fulcrum, so power is lost until the ICE RPMs can pick up. The RPM of MG1 decrease, and the RPM of MG2 increase. I am guessing that off the line, the torque is coming almost all from MG2, and MG1 is only being used to control RPM, possibly sending electricity to MG2 or possibly sending torque to the wheels, but much less torque than in EV mode. The ICE being on prevents MG1 from efficiently adding torque.

Clear as MUD, I know...and an awful lot of speculation.
I wonder if this is better covered by someone at prius chat dot com???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts