Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled my baby up for the first time yesterday. I waited 'til the last minute... the cruise range said only 12 miles remaining... and in an instant, it said 0 miles remaining.

I scrambled to find the nearest gas station, where I proceeded to fill up the presumably empty tank. After approximately 9 gallons, the pump clicked. I tried to fill more, and got nothing but a top-off.

Is there something I need to know about hybrids and their gas meters? What's up with this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm very suspicious about the 11.9 gallon tank. The prototype car had a 9.9 gallon tank, but all information on the websites in the last two months and the owner's manual have upgraded the tank size to 11.9 gallons. I'm on my first tank, so I can't validate the data yet, but my mpg and cruising range calculates to a 9.9 gallon tank. I fear that the early S/Ns may have been fitted with the 9.9 gallon tank. If so, I'm going to make Lexus solve this issue. I'm showing 44 mpg on all town driving with a careful foot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Toyota and Lexus range indicators are set up so that you don't run out of fuel. Basically, you should fill up when it hits 0 on the indicator. There are typically 2 or 3 gallons in reserve on all Toyota/Lexus models when you hit "0" on the range. It is just the way they set it up versus the Germans (my VW anyway) have a fill light come on when you have an indicated 60 miles of range left. When I hit 0 on my GTI, I was proper ****ed.

Not a defect. Just a choice that Toyota made, presumably on feedback from the market. Look at it as a countdown for when you should fill up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quentin is right. I've owned a few Lexus/Toyota vehicles in the last 10 years including an RX, IS, and Venza, all consistent - it is designed to leave you with about 2.5 Gallons when the distance remaining states "0".

·
Registered
200 Posts
I filled up today for the first time. The mileage indicator said 45 miles remaining ( I assumed about a gallon of gas). To my surprise the car only took 8.1 gallons. i guess zero miles remaining is not really as bad as one would think. I am not one to go into negative territory just to see how low I can go. 8-9 gallons to fill up is a pleasure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts