Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Electronic "Brake" transmission

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe166 
#1 ·
Good morning all. I'm finding it convenient to use the "brake" position on the transmission here in the Denver area BUT there are times that I forget to move the transmission back to the "D" position.
Am I doing any damage to anything by accelerating while still in the brake position? Thanks for your thoughts...

Sandy

#2 ·
Accelerating in the "B" position will not cause any problems except in might lower you mpg.

#3 ·
I don't think that you get all of your regenerative benefit if you brake with the "B" as opposed to coasting or using the regenerative braking. If you use the transmission to brake you just might suffer a very minor hit on your mpg.

Probably not enough to worry about.

#6 ·
It simpler terms B just basically "downshifts" the car into a lower gear. Since we have a CVT transmission, we don't have gears so it simulates downshifting. It's like turning off overdrive. It does not affect regenerative braking, it puts the car into a higher rpm which hurts mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Two questions:
How does higher rpm without any throttle hurt mpg?

How does a more rapid deceleration not affect regenerative input since the longer you are in coasting or braking with the regenerative system the more the batteries are recharged?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.