Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a proud owner of 2012 ct200h. After looking at many forums (also prius forums) I realized that many have EGR problems, I have driven 75k km (just below 50k miles) on my ct200 and was just wandering when should I get my EGR replaced or cleaned? I asked my local Lexus mechanic and he said it is not a big issue and its quite a lot of work. After reading this forum I doubt it. What is your experience?

Also does anyone know if faster driving on highways, for example, can blow-clean the egr or is it just my amateur imagination.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
411 Posts
The EGR system doesn't necessarily need to be serviced unless it throws a specific code or has actual poor gas mileage. The forums are full of alarming posts, but also full of information that is not entirely accurate. You can tell a lot about the health of hybrids by the mpg. Go fill up your car and get on the highway. Drive with cruise control set at 65 for about 50 to 100 miles. If you are getting less than 40 mpg, chances are the system is clogged (but not clogged enough to throw a code if you have no code). Getting less than 40 around town doing short trips does not count. I usually get less than 40 doing short trips around town, but I recently did a road trip from California to Arizona. My average mpg was well in the 50 mpg range with cruise control.

The cause of egr clogging could be many, but for our car I suspect it is burning oil blown past the pcv. This oil blown into the intake past the PVC is the beginning of the end. A slow killer until it is too late. This burned oil is what accelerates the build up in the egr cooler fins. But how much and how fast it gets clogged, if at all, depends on your driving habits and whether or not your oil changes were always filled to the brim.

If your gas mileage is normal, leave it alone. If your oil is filled to the top mark, take a 1/4 qt out and tell whoever does the oil to not fill to the top line and only 3/4th between top and bottom marks.

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
51 Posts
The EGR system doesn't necessarily need to be serviced unless it throws a specific code or has actual poor gas mileage. The forums are full of alarming posts, but also full of information that is not entirely accurate. You can tell a lot about the health of hybrids by the mpg. Go fill up your car and get on the highway. Drive with cruise control set at 65 for about 50 to 100 miles. If you are getting less than 40 mpg, chances are the system is clogged (but not clogged enough to throw a code if you have no code). Getting less than 40 around town doing short trips does not count. I usually get less than 40 doing short trips around town, but I recently did a road trip from California to Arizona. My average mpg was well in the 50 mpg range with cruise control.

I disagree. You should go over to the prius forums to read up on the technical analysis going on with the egr system.
Waiting for a code to be thrown is definitely not what you want to do with these vehicles.
The general consensus for this engine is to proactively clean the egr system around 100K-120K miles and not more than that under any circumstances.

Reactions: DanyK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disagree. You should go over to the prius forums to read up on the technical analysis going on with the egr system.
Waiting for a code to be thrown is definitely not what you want to do with these vehicles.
The general consensus for this engine is to proactively clean the egr system around 100K-120K miles and not more than that under any circumstances.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Is cleaning EGR pipe sufficient or is it better to buy a new EGR and change?

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
51 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply. Is cleaning EGR pipe sufficient or is it better to buy a new EGR and change?
You have two options.

1. Remove the EGR Pipe, EGR Cooler, EGR Valve and Intake Manifold and clean them out while the car is non operational.
2. Do the same as above but after removing the parts replace them with the same parts (used or new). This will allow you less downtime because it would take some time to clean the EGR cooler. You can search about it on Google in the prius forums. This car uses the same engine as the prius Gen 3 made from 2010 to 2015. They have all the same problems.

I am doing the EGR cleaning on my CT this saturday. I opted for option 2. That way I have less downtime.
I bought a new EGR cooler on ebay, a used EGR Valve from there as well, a brand new EGR pipe, and the gaskets that go in between them. I plan on keeping this car until the end of time so it made sense for me to replace and spend time to clean the spares for future replacement. I'll also be installing an oil catch which will drastically cut down on fouling of the EGR system.

You are good to be asking about this now. My car had the same mileage as yours when I started reading about it and I told myself I would do the entire EGR before 120K, --I'm at 111K right now.

Reactions: DanyK

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
411 Posts
What happens if you don't? Clean it at that interval

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
411 Posts
I'v
Also, can you link me to the article that specifies what its curing and preventing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
51 Posts
I'v

Also, can you link me to the article that specifies what its curing and preventing. Thanks.
The exhaust gas recirculation system has many purposes. One of which is to reduce combustion temperature inside each cylinder.
Once the exhaust gas Recirculation system is blocked up it leads to hi detonation temperatures inside the cylinder, and unfortunately because of the routing of the gases it leads to high pressures in only one or two of the cylinders. This eventually leads to a failed head gasket.

Again this vehicle has the same engine system as the GEN 3 Prius and it’s really important to read up on the engine issues on that Prius because there’s a much larger sample size of problems and also more information about people trying to research and fix the issue.

All the people that you’ve been hearing about you have failed head gaskets between 100K miles and 200K miles Is because of the EGR system blockage.
People who are higher at risk for a failed head gasket are those who do not do spirited driving. People who just drive their vehicle around the city without regularly getting it up to high temperatures and high speeds end up depositing more carbon soot In the EGR system.

Also if you are a living in a colder climate you are higher at risk as well. I like to drive my car fast and at over 100,000 miles I don’t have too much carbon soot In my EGR system when I checked. But there was still carbon soot there, I would estimate that my EGR cooler was 50% blocked.

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
51 Posts
The exhaust gas recirculation system has many purposes. One of which is to reduce combustion temperature inside each cylinder.
Once the exhaust gas Recirculation system is blocked up it leads to hi detonation temperatures inside the cylinder, and unfortunately because of the routing of the gases it leads to high pressures in only one or two of the cylinders. This eventually leads to a failed head gasket.

Again this vehicle has the same engine system as the GEN 3 Prius and it’s really important to read up on the engine issues on that Prius because there’s a much larger sample size of problems and also more information about people trying to research and fix the issue.

All the people that you’ve been hearing about you have failed head gaskets between 100K miles and 200K miles Is because of the EGR system blockage.
People who are higher at risk for a failed head gasket are those who do not do spirited driving. People who just drive their vehicle around the city without regularly getting it up to high temperatures and high speeds end up depositing more carbon soot In the EGR system.

Also if you are a living in a colder climate you are higher at risk as well. I like to drive my car fast and at over 100,000 miles I don’t have too much carbon soot In my EGR system when I checked. But there was still carbon soot there, I would estimate that my EGR cooler was 50% blocked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts