Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a few discussions on this that peaked my interest, so I decided to get some LED bulbs to go over my license plate and swap mine out. The results are pretty pleasing, and with really no tools required, about 10 minutes of fiddling, and $20 spent... It was totally worth it. I took these pictures with my iPhone so pardon their crudeness.

So first off, after looking in the manual and consulting the Sylvania website, these are the bulbs I purchased.

I got them from Amazon for a decent price... Here's a link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIJY2ZM/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=thephaadd-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00AIJY2ZM&adid=1WHVB3FG523NB8RFCEPE&

Step one: Pop off the little doors on the hatch. I know I said no tools, so I actually just used my house key and was able to easily get the doors off in seconds. You'll notice in the picture, and when you do it there is a little spot in the bottom corner to inset a flat head screwdriver or key to pop it off. (Bottom right in this picture)

Step 2: Once that's off look inside and disconnect the power from the little grey socket. It's a simple prong similar to a phone or ethernet cord.

Step three: Reach in and give the grey connector about a quarter of a twist to pop out. It's pretty easy and you'll feel it come loose. Once that's out you're going to pull the bulb out. You don't need to twist it, it pulls straight out. It's a bit of a tug, but trust me... No twist.

Step 4: Take the new bulb and stick it in the grey connector. Plug it into the grey cord for a second to make sure you don't have it in backwards as there is a polarity to them. Once you're sure then disconnect it and fish it back into place. Now reconnect the power. Repeat.

I took a few before/during/after pictures.

Before:

During: Notice that the bulb on the right is a little bit whiter/less yellow.

After: Here are a few after pictures. Look at the one where you can see the ground. It really does a good job of lighting up the ground as well. Also, I read on another post that someone said their bulbs made it difficult to see when using the back up camera. I don't find that to be an issue at all.

Again, really easy and looks good. I purposefully didn't get it too bight as I don't want to scream "Pull me over!"

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
nice, that looks really good. this would probably be my first lighting mod when i do it. i saw a friend's CT in person that did this also, it looked real good.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is the first thing I did when I bought my CT. For some reason the CT is the only car in the Lexus lineup without led license plate lights from the factory. It's a 5 minute process, just a simple bulb swap. I stuck with OEM color.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
383 Posts
nice! big improvement and the extra light will probably help people with backup cameras see a little better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is the first thing I did when I bought my CT. For some reason the CT is the only car in the Lexus lineup without led license plate lights from the factory. It's a 5 minute process, just a simple bulb swap. I stuck with OEM color.

what would you say is the oem color? Similar to the DRLs? Which bulbs did you end up going with?

·
Registered
990 Posts
what would you say is the oem color? Similar to the DRLs? Which bulbs did you end up going with?
I based OEM off the license plate light color on the IS350. I had an IS350 that I recently sold. The CT really is the only lexus without LED license plate lights. I'd have to go back and search my eBay purchase. I paid $3 for them, they have 4 LEDs per bulb. So far 2 years now and they are still going strong. They were called bright white which have a very slight blue hue. Stay away from anything that says the color is blue. I tried the 5 LED bulbs and they were too bright, 3 was too dull.

·
Registered
216 Posts
yo motionisgay, i ended up getting these sylvania lights as well. i haven't gotten the chance to see them in the dark yet. but thanks for making this post and posting the exact product you got. that was the hard part ;)

also, you mentioned something about being sure to not put them in backwards due to a polarity issue, how do u check for this? i put them both in and they lit up the first time. so...i assume they good to go?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yo motionisgay, i ended up getting these sylvania lights as well. i haven't gotten the chance to see them in the dark yet. but thanks for making this post and posting the exact product you got. that was the hard part ;)

also, you mentioned something about being sure to not put them in backwards due to a polarity issue, how do u check for this? i put them both in and they lit up the first time. so...i assume they good to go?
With these Sylvania bulbs I don't think it actually matters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I based OEM off the license plate light color on the IS350. I had an IS350 that I recently sold. The CT really is the only lexus without LED license plate lights. I'd have to go back and search my eBay purchase. I paid $3 for them, they have 4 LEDs per bulb. So far 2 years now and they are still going strong. They were called bright white which have a very slight blue hue. Stay away from anything that says the color is blue. I tried the 5 LED bulbs and they were too bright, 3 was too dull.

The 2014s come standard with LED license plate bulbs which is good because they made them more difficult to get to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts