Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Driving with Parking Brake ON? (Soft Brakes)

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  stormchaser 
#1 ·
The parking brake on the CT is easy to overlook. I always put it on while I park. However my brother took out the car recently and i don't believe he is as careful about ensuring it is turned off before he starts driving.

Today i noticed my driving brakes seem a bit more mushy than usual. I am under the impression that he possibly drove it a bit with the parking brakes on. But idk it might just be my paranoia.

Can anyone else comment on the harm caused by driving with the parking brake on, or that it results in brakes becoming softer? Maybe i'm expecting the worst but I definitely don't remember my CT brakes being that soft. They seem to firm up towards the bottom of the press though

#2 ·
Seems to me that all that would have happened is that you would have worn the rear brakes quite a bit, and might have warped the rotors. I'd have them checked as soon as it's convenient.

When braking during driving, you're using mostly the front brakes. If the rears are really worn, I suppose you may feel it by what you described, and how you get more "bite" as you apply more brake force, since you're asking the front brakes to compensate for the rears that can't handle as much anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.