Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area where the hills are pretty long. I've done it three times since I bought the car I've put the car in sport mode when I go up the hills. and I usually get this temporary burning smell from the car. is that normal
Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to climb those hills easier? Im doing roughly 40mph on the hills.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Well, in my area, the hills are pretty long, but it's on the freeway (US 101 hwy). I usually accelerate in anticipation of the hill and then power up until I crest, and then I just coast down and pick up speed for the next hill.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I live in an area where the hills are pretty long. I've done it three times since I bought the car I've put the car in sport mode when I go up the hills. and I usually get this temporary burning smell from the car. is that normal
Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to climb those hills easier? Im doing roughly 40mph on the hills.
It's might be some coating on the engine that is burning off as the car heats up. It should dissipate, but if it continues, you should contact the dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DelSter I wouldn't worry at all!! This happens with A LOT of new cars! What's going on is your engine is literally getting burned in or broken is as they say. The smell your getting is from the very outer layer of the metal inside the engine and the transmission being heated. Kind of like if you have ever cleaned your oven at home. You spray it with Easy Off Oven Cleaner then, after you clean it and turn your oven on the first time, it kinda has a weird smell for awhile until it cooks off. Your engine and tranny are doing just that! More so when your going up those hills because your putting more of a strain on the car, thus creating more heat than normal.

You'll be fine. If it continues after about 3,000 miles then I'd be a little concerned and would bring it by your dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the tips. I figured it would fade away in due time. I mean the car has only has gone 100 miles since my purchase on saturday

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those hills

I am still waiting on delivery of my Ct, but I was curious on how the car did on hills. I live in virginia and there are not many hills. I do travel into West Virginia and Western Maryland where you actually cross the continental divide! Does this car have enough power to cross the mountains, or will I feel like I should get out and push?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I am still waiting on delivery of my Ct, but I was curious on how the car did on hills. I live in virginia and there are not many hills. I do travel into West Virginia and Western Maryland where you actually cross the continental divide! Does this car have enough power to cross the mountains, or will I feel like I should get out and push?
It does, but you'll need to push a bit more on the gas and then you'll be in "power" mode the whole way with the CVT engine making its whiny noise all the way up. That's one of the things I don't like about the car (the engine noise when under strain/higher revs), but I can live with it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I look at it this way: The CT has two motors, which is twice as many as most cars. You scoot up hills easily as long as they're not huge Grapevine-like grades. I pass everyone on my hilly morning commute, much to the chagrin of the F150-driving populace.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is a post of mine from another tread but is quite relevant to this one.

HeHe:DHeHe:D

Well had my CT just over a week and have settled into it well, So today On my own (every one else has gone to work and school) I thought what shall I do ? So I decided to drive to the top our nearest mountain and see how the CT went !

Well I was very impressed ( I am still grining ) Although the car is not a V6 Hot hatch so does not pull away at the lights like one (like some people seem to think this car should do " I dont ") ! once rolling and in Sports mode it is very good. Going up the mountain 20km up 20km down it was up hill all the way and very twisty the CT corners beatifully and was very responsive out of the corners great fun to drive and although the battery did get low it did not run out as it did get regen back at each corner. Coming down I still used Sport mode and the extra Braking (B) and was also great fun.

Going up I got 9.6L / 100km I did push it :D

By the time I got home overall trip I was on 6.1L / 100km

So although not the best mpg I usually get 6.1 is pretty good for the fun drive I just had :D

I have attached a photo of the stats showing going up and coming down ( I think the E's on the screen was me saying Eeeeee round the corners !!!!:D )

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Taking my CT up California I-5 (the Grapevine) which has a 6% grade for five miles, I set the cruise control on 70mph and comfortably made the climb with no loss of speed. It never left the gas mode, but it still had power left. While it's no muscle car, it’s no wimp either. When you add it all up this car is a definite winner. Plus it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hills

Picked up our CT yesterday and drove it up the mountain road
behind our house. We live at ~5400 feet altitude, CT felt zippy
up to ~7000 feet. I've yet to get to Loveland Pass (~12,000!),
but I expect it will be fine.

=Phrog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.