Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to the forum, as I bought my CT200h a month ago. Should I switch between Normal and Sport depending on driving conditions (speed, going up incline, etc.) or use the modes when I am consistently going under or over 40 mph?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the forum, as I bought my CT200h a month ago. Should I switch between Normal and Sport depending on driving conditions (speed, going up incline, etc.) or use the modes when I am consistently going under or over 40 mph?
I have 2015 car and I just stay with the normal mode

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also just stay in normal with my 15.

The modes don't do anything for driving conditions.
They are meant more for driving experience.

You can get terrible fuel economy in ECO, while getting great fuel economy in SPORT.
It's all in your foot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It mainly depends on the type of throttle response that you want but what Infected said is very true, Your MPG is all based on your foot and how you choose to drive. I mainly drive in Sport because i like to have the more immediate response of the engine. Sports mode in general tightens up the steering, and gives the engine a quicker response to your foot other then that it truly doesnt affect the MPG other then how you drive

·
381 Posts
I drive mine in Sport 100% of the time and I still average 43 mpg.
I really like the tighter steering response. Hybrids actually do their best when you get up to speed quickly and then let it level off. Sport lets me do that without having to floor the accelerator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditto what those guys said. However you should note that in Normal and Eco you can keep track of when the engine will turn on during acceleration (halfway point on left dial), whereas Sport has just a tachometer. It can be helpful for feathering the throttle to keep the engine off a little longer during take offs. Though as a car enthusiast I also like knowing the RPM of my engine (though it's a little sad seeing it toiling away at 4K on inclines lol).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I drive mine in Sport 100% of the time and I still average 43 mpg.
I really like the tighter steering response. Hybrids actually do their best when you get up to speed quickly and then let it level off. Sport lets me do that without having to floor the accelerator.
+1
sport mode also gives 650V instead of 500V to the electric motor helping you get up to speed faster and also making it easier to use the electric motor to cruise along while doing the pulse and glide technique.

all the people that say sport mode can't give better fuel economy are just plain ignorant.
they really need to try it and tinker around until the find the right driving style and techniques.

Ditto what those guys said. However you should note that in Normal and Eco you can keep track of when the engine will turn on during acceleration (halfway point on left dial), whereas Sport has just a tachometer. It can be helpful for feathering the throttle to keep the engine off a little longer during take offs. Though as a car enthusiast I also like knowing the RPM of my engine (though it's a little sad seeing it toiling away at 4K on inclines lol).
pro-tip for you:
you can disable the tach through the options so you'll still see that left dial in sport mode.
this is how i have mine set and i love it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I first got my '13 CT, I drove in Eco to see what the max mpg I could achieve, after 7 months and hitting 49mpg on a tankful, I decided enough was enough and switched over to Sport mode 100% of the time. The throttle response is faster so you have to recalibrate your foot. It's harder to keep the car in EV mode, but you eventually adapt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts