Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Wilmington DE and very familiar with driving in snow... Not sure how well CT 200h would behave in snow. Current Rav4 and Mercury Villager van handle snow well around here. My MB E-320 rear-wheel car is the worse one, even with at least 150-lb sand bags in the trunk during winter, luckily I have only 10-mile driving to work...
Any recommendations? I heard that the B-shift helps a lot in the snow
thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like BostonGTR said .... it's all about the tires. I put Blizzaks on my CT, but it hasn't snowed since. I'm not all that impressed with the handling of the Blizzaks on dry roads, and they're pretty noisy. I might even say REALLY noisy. I'm hoping they sacrificed in these areas to maximize performance in slippery conditions.

I have high hopes, though!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I live in Wilmington DE and very familiar with driving in snow... Not sure how well CT 200h would behave in snow. Current Rav4 and Mercury Villager van handle snow well around here. My MB E-320 rear-wheel car is the worse one, even with at least 150-lb sand bags in the trunk during winter, luckily I have only 10-mile driving to work...
Any recommendations? I heard that the B-shift helps a lot in the snow
thanks
How much snow do you typically get in your area? Many people on here will preach snow tires but if you get moderate snowfall then all seasons are just fine. I find the CT to be just ok in the snow, surprisingly enough it's actually worse than my IS350 both of which have all seasons. Now I will say that if you are not confident in your snow driving abilities then snow tires are a must. The only time I ever bought snow tires for a car was when I had an Mitsubishi Evo that ran high performance tires in the summer. I couldn't get away with driving those on the winter. 90% of the time all season are just fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like BostonGTR said .... it's all about the tires. I put Blizzaks on my CT, but it hasn't snowed since. I'm not all that impressed with the handling of the Blizzaks on dry roads, and they're pretty noisy. I might even say REALLY noisy. I'm hoping they sacrificed in these areas to maximize performance in slippery conditions.

I have high hopes, though!
Blizzaks tires are not designed for summer... the reason they are one of the best for winter driving because they are made out of very soft polymers for maximum CoF. They would last about 20K miles for normal winter driving. If you use them for summer you would wear them out much faster

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much snow do you typically get in your area? Many people on here will preach snow tires but if you get moderate snowfall then all seasons are just fine. I find the CT to be just ok in the snow, surprisingly enough it's actually worse than my IS350 both of which have all seasons. Now I will say that if you are not confident in your snow driving abilities then snow tires are a must. The only time I ever bought snow tires for a car was when I had an Mitsubishi Evo that ran high performance tires in the summer. I couldn't get away with driving those on the winter. 90% of the time all season are just fine.

I lived in Buffalo NY, Storrs CT and Lancaster PA so driving in snow is not an issue for me... In Wilmingto DE we get some snow, but not much ... 1-2" everytime, 6" once a season if that... 10" + is very rare , every 10 yr+?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get a good set of all seasons. Continental DWS or Nitto Motivos.

Thanks ... This car has only almost 100 miles, so I will drive it the way it is... I don't drive crazy in snow or in any other conditions , so things should be Ok I hope... I know the "lubrication theory" and that applies to driving quite well ... hahahaha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, the all seasons on the CT are very poor in the snow. They have bad braking and extremely bad turn in. I had hoped to get away with them for the first winter, but on the first light snow I tried to make a turn at slow speed and just kept going straight. So I ordered some Dunlop snow tires.

People living in a location with only rare snow have a tougher choice. You could either stay home and wait for the roads to clear, be very careful, or buy some better all seasons.

·
Registered
990 Posts
mine comes with the Michelin Primaxy MXM4 with great reviews, even in snow...I hope they are correct

Users and experts reviews
Pardon my French but those tires are ****. Everyone on this forum has used those tires as they are the factory tires. However they are dreadful and dangerous in the snow. I didn't realize how much better the car could drive until I got different tires. Better handling, better traction and most importantly better ride.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pardon my French but those tires are ****. Everyone on this forum has used those tires as they are the factory tires. However they are dreadful and dangerous in the snow. I didn't realize how much better the car could drive until I got different tires. Better handling, better traction and most importantly better ride.

Thanks ... got it... so what are the best 4-season tires for CT 200h ? and go ahead and write in French, I can handle it.
There is a Utube clip showing the the B-shift would help during snow,, but I would not use that for highway driving

·
Registered
990 Posts
I like my Nitto Motivos. In my opinion these and Continental DWS are some of the best ones out there for the price. I drive 25k a year and I'm on my 2nd season with the Nittos and they are wearing exceptionally well. They have a 60k mile warranty but I suspect I'll put 65-70k on them without any issues.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like my Nitto Motivos. In my opinion these and Continental DWS are some of the best ones out there for the price. I drive 25k a year and I'm on my 2nd season with the Nittos and they are wearing exceptionally well. They have a 60k mile warranty but I suspect I'll put 65-70k on them without any issues.

Did a lot of research and end users reviews on Nitto Motivos tires... The jury is still out there. I will see what happen with the OEM Michelin for the snow driving of the coming winter

·
Banned
165 Posts
On my 2004 corolla, I had no problem driving in chicago area and Indiana snow with cheaper Cooper Futura tires. http://www.pepboys.com/tires/details/Futura/2000+LTE/8694568/01484
I even drove through unplowed over 1ft of snow without getting stuck while other people were stuck all around me.

Now these areas have very little hills. I never had any problems, I think driving in the snow is based more on the driver.

In Newfoundland Canada, I taught my friend how to drive in the snow in his civic and he did not have snow tires on. That place was extremely hilly. I showed him how not to stop on hills and to gain speed before going up hills and to not go down a hill unless you see no cars below. The drive to my place which normally takes 20 minutes took an hour.

All I am saying is when it comes to all season tires, I dont think you will find a magic tire. Driving is the snow is more up to the driver unless you get specifically winter only snow tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts