Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my driver side mirror is starting to shake when going over uneven pavement or bumps. It wasn't doing this before and it just started. I purchased my car 8/11. Is anybody else having this problem? I hate looking into the side mirror and then see everything shake. Especially at night with headlights in the mirror. I hate this and will be taking this into the dealer soon. But, I wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not noticed it on my CT, although mirror wobble was a major problem on the Focus I had before so I think if it was wobbly I'd have spotted it. Definitely get the dealer to take a peek in case you're on the early part of those bell curve failure things people talk about. Better being told "nothing to worry about" than having wind effect at 70mph detach the mirror :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
My side mirrors shake as well. My Lexus dealer said it was "normal" compared to another CT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took it to the dealer to have them look at it. they road tested it and said it is very slight. they couldn't do anything to fix it as in putting foam in there etc. they said to give it some time for it to warm up and see if that helps. otherwise only other option is to change the whole mirror. i took out a new ct and it didn't shake. i'll give it some time.

232 Posts
I took my side mirrors completely apart twice, when I installed the LED puddle lights, and they DO NOT shake at any speed after re-assembly. They have never shaked. During di-assebmly I did noticed that on the driver side, there is a gluey white mastic paste underneath the glass, i.e. the area between the actuator plate and the glass back side. The actuator plate is held by one single center screw and it got to be tight.

There are four prongs on the back of the glass that get snapped unto the actuator plate. The positions are at 10 o'clok, 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. Make sure they are snapped snugly against the actuator plate. To check it, gently apply pressure with your fingers to the top edge of the glass to move the top side in; the underside will be exposed but it should be tightly snapped in place. If not, just gently apply pressure at the four corners of the glass. Make sure the mirror assembly itself does not shake, there is a spring that will allows the mirror assembly to bounce on impact if jolted. This spring must be torqued to its specifications. I don't about those of you who got the leather upgrade, in this version the side mirrors is supposed to tilt down when reverse is engaged, and the toggle switch is not in the center position.

The driver side mirror is a safety item under the FMVSS, and Lexus got to fix it to your satisfaction, or you could file a complaint w/ NHTSA. Or at least threaten them with it. The passenger side mirror is only mandated if your interior rearview mirror is obscured.

Got to my photo albuns to see the sections of the dissambled side mirrors. Any way, your side mirrors should not and must not shake at any given speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts