Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, oil question here:

Does anyone know what oil Lexus uses from the factory for break-in on the CT200h?

How about what oil they use at the first oil change? (10k?)

Synthetic I assume. If so, what brand, what weight?

I'm just curious, as many people notice a marked increase in MPG after the engine has been 'broken in' around 10k miles.

But the first oil change is also around 10k miles. Is this a coincidence? Or maybe they use a different oil for break-in than they do for the rest of the life of the car? Maybe something a bit thicker?

Another question is, because I'm in Northern California where sub-zero temperatures are about as common as electing conservatives, is there a lighter weight oil I can request or specify myself that might improve my MPG even the smallest amount?

I'd be happy to eek out even another half percentage point. Right now I'm coming home every day with 52-53.5mpg indicated, just about 50mpg calculated (at 3700 miles).

I've lowered it, gone with lightweight (16lb) wheels, I'm doing my best on learning how to drive it properly for max mileage, but I'm also enjoying trying to get as many MPG as possible out of it.

My goal was to use it as a daily driver work vehicle in the San Francisco Bay Area and get 50mpg+, and I'm just finally nailing that now. =]!

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Owner's Maintanence Manual recommends the use of 0W-20 fully synthetic motor oil.

I believe my dealer uses the "Mobile 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy" brand.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think if they used anything but the full synthetic 0w-20 oil from the factory they would have to change the oil at 5,000 miles instead of 10,000. That is what the letter I got from Toyota said when they changed the mileage interval from 5 to 10,000 miles. Toyota seems to sell a toyota branded 0w20 oil that is rumored to be Mobil1, but who knows. As long as it meets the specs...I don't care if they buy it in 55 gallon drums that says Walmart!

I am not aware of any special break in oil that is used anymore by anyone. At least none that any one admits to.

Lots of people still believe that they should change their oil for the first time at a much shorter interval. Like 3,000 for the first one. I have no idea but if it makes you feel better, it is your money. The factory still says the first oil change is at 10,000.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're not going to find anything less viscous than 0W-20 oil. 52-53mpg's is about right. Doubt you'll do much better than that.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You're not going to find anything less viscous than 0W-20 oil. 52-53mpg's is about right. Doubt you'll do much better than that.
I agree. Probably not worth messing w/ a different oil spec. either, unless you run it by someone that really knows this car/engine well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts