Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my car after getting the windows tinted and now the driver's door rattles. The guy at the shop says they don't remove door panels so it could not be due to the tinting. I'm sure I would have noticed it before had it been there but now he has me questioning it. I think I figured out where the rattle is coming from. I tapped around on the door until I heard something and when I tap on the right side plastic piece, it sound sounds very similar to what I hear from inside. Sounds like it is at the top. I put a paper towel at the top of the door and closed it in and it no longer makes the rattling sound when I tap the plastic piece. The passenger door doesn't rattle at all. Is this something that the dealer will fix? Is there any way it could be related to getting my windows tinted?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just picked up my car after getting the windows tinted and now the driver's door rattles. The guy at the shop says they don't remove door panels so it could not be due to the tinting. I'm sure I would have noticed it before had it been there but now he has me questioning it. I think I figured out where the rattle is coming from. I tapped around on the door until I heard something and when I tap on the right side plastic piece, it sound sounds very similar to what I hear from inside. Sounds like it is at the top. I put a paper towel at the top of the door and closed it in and it no longer makes the rattling sound when I tap the plastic piece. The passenger door doesn't rattle at all. Is this something that the dealer will fix? Is there any way it could be related to getting my windows tinted?
No idea dude, mine rattle slightly after tinting. And it only rattles over bumpy roads. I am also looking for a solution. Anyone?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do both your passenger and driver windows rattle? I don't understand how tinting could cause the rattling if door panels aren't removed. Mine rattles almost constantly unless on a perfectly smooth road. Do you think the dealership would help with this?

No idea dude, mine rattle slightly after tinting. And it only rattles over bumpy roads. I am also looking for a solution. Anyone?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do both your passenger and driver windows rattle? I don't understand how tinting could cause the rattling if door panels aren't removed. Mine rattles almost constantly unless on a perfectly smooth road. Do you think the dealership would help with this?
Did a google search on tinting and rattles and get quite a few hits. Seems you would have to assume the tint company did something to cause the rattle. Dealers will try to deal with rattles, but I would imagine if they find the rattle and attribute it do the tint job, they have a right to charge you for the time.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yeah. Don't mention the tint job. You don't know for sure it was cause and effect. My tint ppl didn't remove panels either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my windows tinted and have no rattles. Tint installer didn't remove my panels either.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I had a friend who was getting new upholstery in his High performance 271 hp 289 cu in Mustang and they blew the engine. They swore they didn't do anything. Just saying .... You take any situation and the metrics /outputs change. And you go back and diagnose the cause.

Hypothesis Statement: The car didn’t rattle before I took it in for tinting. It rattles after I got it back from tinting, therefore tinting is the cause of the rattle.

Before situation: Windows didn't rattle.

After situation: Windows rattle, windows tinted.

Know changes : Windows tinting
Unknown changes : Cause of rattle

Potential causes:

(1) Windows tint shop accidently dropped something down the windows when they were tinting- probability- highly likely.
(2) Window door panels flexed or spread or otherwise handles with tools by tint shop - ( tint shop does not consider this removing door panel) - maybe likely
(3 ) Window door panels removed - probability - (tint shop said they didn't) = low
(4) Other cause of rattle, e.g. screw just happened to loosen up when car was in the tint shop, not caused by tint personnel, would have happened at the same time even if the car wasn't tinted.- probability- Very Low.
(5) Window rattle gremlin came into tint shop – poltergeist probability = unlikely

Hypothesis conclusion – The Tint shop caused the rattle, but didn't completely remove door panel, but did somehow touch it or drop something accidently inside.
Will the tint shop admit too it, maybe. Maybe not; It depends on if the actually did it and their level of business ethics and professionalism. If you are talking to a manager and an employee made the mistake, then you might not get a truthful answer, especially if there was employee error and the manager is either not aware of it or does not believe the employee could have or actually did make and error.

Good Luck -- but my parting words: “Changes don’t just happen by themselves ... something has to have caused the change
MidCow3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.