Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your brake pedal make an audible click when you press it? Mine does, and it sounds like a relay or a switch. It is surprisingly loud once you notice it -- especially in stop and go traffic. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes and it's normal - regen braking engaging.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've never noticed it. If it does, it must be very quiet. I generally notice every little sound.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and it's normal - regen braking engaging.
Does regen braking engage even when the car is stopped? Every press of the pedal, whether the car is moving or stopped, seems to trigger a relay with a single, fairly loud click. It is not a mechanical sounding noise; it's more like a switch/relay engaging. Just trying to understand how it all works...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Every car needs a switch like that to turn the brake lights on ...

I suspect we just have a very good one :D. Could be a relay for the regen braking but I doubt it, there's no click when we come off the throttle at 40 which will also engage light regen braking.

Easy way to test, listen for it when you next start the car - There will be a minimal amount of activity (there is a little) before hitting brake + Power button.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy way to test, listen for it when you next start the car
The pedal [switch] makes the audible click even with the car turned off. I got in this morning, pressed the pedal, and heard the click. I also noticed that pressing the pedal causes the power button to flash a green light with each push of the pedal (when the car is completely turned off). This coincides with the click sound. So you appear to be correct that this is normal, and that the audible click is the switch. It's surprising audible, but that's probably because the car is otherwise very quiet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The pedal [switch] makes the audible click even with the car turned off. I got in this morning, pressed the pedal, and heard the click. I also noticed that pressing the pedal causes the power button to flash a green light with each push of the pedal (when the car is completely turned off). This coincides with the click sound. So you appear to be correct that this is normal, and that the audible click is the switch. It's surprising audible, but that's probably because the car is otherwise very quiet.
the green light turning on the power button is only to tell you that you can press to start the engine. pressing the power button WITHOUT having the brake down only powers on the radio/etc., not the engine.

i don't hear an audible click with EVERY brake press, only at slower speeds coming to a stop as the regen braking kicks in (as others suggest above) - it be worth checking out (or your ears are exquisitely sensitive).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Audible Brake Click Recording

i don't hear an audible click with EVERY brake press, only at slower speeds coming to a stop as the regen braking kicks in (as others suggest above) - it be worth checking out (or your ears are exquisitely sensitive).
Nothing illustrates a sound better than a recording, so I uploaded a 30-second recording to my flickr account: The "Click" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Does that sound normal?

While I formerly believed that this was the brake light switch/relay, I am not convinced now. The reason I say this is because the pedal has to be pressed a ways down before the click happens. I can trigger the brake lights before hearing the sound.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep - I remembered to check in mine too. Car is on = hear the click. Car is not yet on = no click. Thinking cap time !

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess I am just not used to the sound of "luxury."
Lol - I've settled into it being a noise I expect, like the "phew!" when one of my previous PCs did the Windows logon sound properly - before I rebuilt it that would happen in only like 1 in 10 boot attempts :rolleyes:

I'll be a lot more freaked out if the sound of luxury disappears ... :D (and will probably then ask someone if my brake lights are working!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am another CT owner2011 that has the same noise issue like yours. I've checked with the dealer and tested about three more CTs, and they all had same noise. I wasn't satisfied with the noise, but since all the CTs I tested had same issue, I decided to just ignore the noise, thinking it's normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts