Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like egg yolk. I hate the way they look and it has always bothered me since I bought the car. I have the solution for a sleeker look and decided to do a write up for anyone trying for a "SLEEKER" and "STEALTH" look that both look good and still fully functional.

OEM rear end tail lights as is: (the housing is reflected orange/amber and you can see the orange bulb through the lense)

Here is the solution: ( 7440 Stealth/Chrome bulbs. These bulbs are Chrome, but illuminates amber/orange)

Tools needed: (Very easy. Basic flathead screwdriver and a 10mm socket)

You open your trunk and on the sides of the tail lights there are 2 black plastic covers on each side (see above). You use a flat head screwdriver to remove those covers and you can use tape at the edge of the screw driver to protect from scratches. Underneath those covers are 2 10mm screw on each side, remove those and then just slide the whole tail light assembly away from the car. It should slide out and reveal the bulbs. Change the bulbs and reverse install to put it back together. Super easy.

Before:

After:

MUCH BETTER!!!:

What do you think???

·
Registered
232 Posts
can you put the signal on? is it brighter than stock?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is a completely different look. Gives it a nice facelift, or uh...rearlift.

jennypenny: the bulbs light up exactly as stock. Not dimmer or brighter. Exactly the same, but just looks much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used these bulbs on my 1999 Maxima a few years ago that I had converted to use "Altezza" taillights. It hid the fact that they were actually amber. They just look silver until lit. I agree, they're the same intensity as the original amber bulbs. If I change the ones on my CT though, it'll probably be LEDs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocketeer: I was thinking of using led bulbs as well, but didn't because of 2 reasons.

1.) The bulbs look funny. Doesn't look like a traditional bulb as you can still see the bulb through the lenses.
(so instead of "hiding" the color/reflector of original bulb you're replacing it with a different type/appearance)

2.) There's a chance of the car throwing an error/bulb out code.
(with these 7440 bulbs, they are OEM/factory replacement. Just with a transparent coat of chrome to hide the orange/and not reflect orange within the tail light housing)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Cool. With my old car, the housing was actually yellow, and I have to add the option for white turn signal for like $100 to change to white.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your bulb have plastic on the bottom or does the glass run all the way down?

Is this Image the same as your original lexus bulb?

Yes, that is the same OEM/Factory bulb. The Stealth/Chrome bulb is also exactly like that.

Glass all the way down with "paper clip" contacts on each side...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought a pair from seller distantxtremes_llc on Ebay. $7.49 for the pair, shipped. Searched 7440 and these came up but I see they are primarily marked 7443. Looks like they should work. I saw something that says do not touch the bulb (chromed part) when installing. Seems hard to do.. maybe use a cloth or plastic gloves. Will see how they do. http://myworld.ebay.com/distantxtremes_llc?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, those should work.

Here are the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7440-Silver...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c231163c&vxp=mtr

The picture shows it has a "plastic" base, but that's just a stock picture. I recieved the correct ones "7440" with the glass base and the 2 clip contacts.

Just use disposable nitrile gloves while doing it so you don't touch the chrome with the natural oils on you fingertips

Let us know how it goes. Its very easy

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought a pair from seller distantxtremes_llc on Ebay. $7.49 for the pair, shipped. Searched 7440 and these came up but I see they are primarily marked 7443. Looks like they should work. I saw something that says do not touch the bulb (chromed part) when installing. Seems hard to do.. maybe use a cloth or plastic gloves. Will see how they do.
Use gloves or even a tissue. The natural oils on our hands really do a number on many bulbs. I bought a box of nitrile gloves, but, of course, they are always somewhere else when I get around a bulb. A handkerchief or kleenex seems to work.

232 Posts
Cool ... but I am chicken. I already mod'ed on the OEM lowbeam headlights w/ aftermarket HID's, and fog lights w/ CREE 5W 12SMD shine LED's which are all non-FMVSS "lighting". These bulbs are also non-compliant to FMVSS part 108. I believe they lack proper brilliance in daytime.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's BS unless you back it up. Where are you getting this info from?
EXACTLY...I don't know why you would think these would be illegal. They are 7440 bulbs.

1.) It's the same OEM replacement bulb as far as voltage/wattage/numbers

2.) You are making no changes to existing setup (as far as housing/smoking lenses/ballast/led/etc)

3.) They illuminate AMBER/ORANGE.

Most people go the dumb route and just change the bulb to a CLEAR one to get the same visual effect, but it's illegal because in that case it illuminates CLEAR/WHITE LIGHT.

They made these bulbs to do exactly that give all the visual effects, but also make it legal/Highway Patrol friendly by lighting up amber...

232 Posts
sorry for being a party pooper ... I read this from a blog from Toyota Nation, on their Prius page. This so called trooper who was also a member described this, and how he did to slap fines to catch people with "Altezza" type fitted rear light mod's. So far I never had issues with the mod's done, but I did not want to push my envelope. This is strictly a personal preference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course those fools with the "altezza" light mods will be pulled over...

Those "altezza" mods are the whole tail light assembly. Those people replace their whole tail light assembly for a CLEAR tail light setup. Those people try to put orange/amber bulbs in those said tail light assemblies so it lights up orange/amber. The thing is those aftermarket "altezza" lights are not DOT approved because they don't have reflectors.

This is nothing but a bulb change. They illuminate orange/amber clearly visible in both night and day.

So...

1.) It illuminates legal colors in both night and day

2.) Our tail lights are OEM DOT approved

3.) We use the same number replacement bulb

What's "pushing the envelope" about that??? But yet it's fine and dandy to switch out YOUR headlights to a different type of bulb (HID) on a vehicle that NEVER was equipped or had an option for HID, wired up a ballast and installed it somewhere in your engine bay where there is no existing mount for a ballast/wiring, and made modifications to your fog lights, but you're sorry for party pooping on this thread?

·
Registered
391 Posts
sorry for being a party pooper ... This is strictly a personal preference.
Not really a personal preference when you said the following.

These bulbs are also non-compliant to FMVSS part 108. I believe they lack proper brilliance in daytime.
You are basicly saying it is wrong or a bad idea to do this mod. So, please give up more information why you are saying this. Do you have any technical info or testing information? Are you just guessing? Do you know if the chromed turn signal bulbs put out less candela than is required by the 108 spec? Did you measure it? Are you just stirring the pot?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts