Lexus CT200h Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah, well, they do overtighten it. I was unsuccessful in removing the filter yesterday, ended up ordering the heavy duty 64MM cap wrench that has the notches for the two wings. Should give me better leverage.
SUCKKKKKK !!! whoever tightened it does not know what the helllllll he/she doing. Maybe they are coming from Pepboys

·
381 Posts
Got the new cap wrench the other day. I'll give it another shot this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many 3/8 drive ratchets have short handles that don't provide enough leverage to break the filter cup lose. So use something to extend the length of the handle..Be SURE the cap wrench is held firmly and squarely on the filter housing when you give the wrench handle a sharp, quick, tug to break it lose...

If you happen to have a 1/2 drive ratchet, use it with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. The larger tool makes it much easier...

·
Registered
40 Posts
-follow jacking instructions in the owners manual, block the rear wheels and use jackstands for safety. I found the best access is from the front of the car, not from behind the wheel.
If I use a floor jack to lift one side, how do I get a jackstand under the car if the jackstand is already at the jacking point? Or can I put the jackstand just an inch ahead of or behind the notched area for the floor jack?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The entire underside of the engine compartment is covered with a plastic splash guard which hides the oil pan and filter....Be careful where you place the jack and jack stands..I placed a floor jack under the hard-point where the engine cradle is mounted and lifted high enough to slip a stand under the lower control arm as close to the wheel as possible.
Could you elaborate a bit on the whole jacking up procedure? I looked under the front end and like you say, it's just all plastic panels. How do I know to find "where the engine cradle is mounted"? A pic would be great :) Also, you let the car sit on the control arms? I thought the axles would be the stronger place; are they not a good choice, not accessible, visible?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did my first oil change myself, as people mentioned previous tech had overtightened filter housing but I got it loose after much effort. My service door is missing, however. Does anyone know the part # for this? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is this an absolute necessity? What evil can befall me if I don't have one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi RDC,
What do you mean by the service door? Do you mean the plastic cover under the oil filter area? If that is what you meant, I don't think it is critical to have it, but it will help to keep dirt getting into that area. The plastic is called engine splash guard I think.

Hope this helps.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts