Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to do my own oil change. Would you recommend sticking with the Toyota filters or use an after market filter (mobil)? Also, is changing the oil for our cars the same as a 2010 prius? I couldn't find any videos for an oil change for our cars but I saw a few on YouTube for a 2010 Prius.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the oil change on my CT, I believe it's the same part as above. I purchased a case of them from Sewell Lexus online and had them shipped to me. I recommend getting the canister removal tool because it will make it easier to remove if stuck. Let me know if you have any other questions. There are other threads on this topic as well.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, those are the ones. I have changed mine once. I called the Lexus dealer...$13.95. I went to the Toyota dealer 1 mile down the road....$4.95. I would stay with the Toyota filter as they have an excellent reputation. The Mobil 1 is a synthetic media which is definately superior to the regular paper filtering media, can't go wrong with that either. TRD (Toyota Racing Division)makes a high performance filter which also has a synthetic filtering media and metal end caps....abouty $15 online, but I have only seen them offered at a few places and I couldn't justify the price premium as I plan to change the oil at 7K miles intervals initially until I get an oil analysis done.

Slightly off topic, but if you're doing it yourself, pic up a magnetic drain plug (EBay...$10) for 2011-12 Prius. I have used them for years (my Corvettes came with them from the factory). You will be AMAZED at the metalic crap it picks up...especially the first few oil changes. Even after 100K miles, there is always a metalic paste stuck to the magnet, made up of very tiny metalic particles which may be too small to be picked up by the filter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, those YouTube vids for the Prius oil change will be helpful for our cars...the drive line is the same. I watched a couple of those videos first to get an idea of what is different about this car compared to others I have owned. Overall, it is pretty easy to do.

-follow jacking instructions in the owners manual, block the rear wheels and use jackstands for safety. I found the best access is from the front of the car, not from behind the wheel.
-buy a GOOD 64mm 14 fluted oil cap tool...there are lots out there. I bought one specifically for Toyota-Lexus on Amazon for about $16...Assenmacher Toy 640. I have heard other people buying other generic types with poor fit results.
-the awkward part is keeping the plastic "door" on the undercariage cover open and not springing up to get in the way. I used a very small bungee cord to keep it fully open so it wouldn't get in the way of the draining oil.
-I had no problem getting the oil filter end cap off the engine
-to make sure I got a full drain, I removed the jack stands and lowered the car with the drain plug off to see if that allowed more oil to drain as the car is at a different angle. I did not notice any more oil, so I won't bother next time.
- it used 4.4 qt to get to fill line, just like the manual stated.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
hookah66: You write: "The ct200H power plant is the 1.8L Jianlian (Chinese) made 1.8L Atkinson variant 2ZR-FXE engine ..." Can you source that information? I have never seen anything that suggests that the Prius/Lexus powertrain is built anywhere but in Japan.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just go to Wikipedia: "The 1.6L and 1.8L ZR engines are built in Tianjin FAW Toyota Engine Co., Ltd. (TFTE) Plant No. 2, beginning in April 2007"

The press release used by wikipedia about the ZR engine says that plant in china produces the ZR for the Toyota Corrolla. In 2007 the plant in china had a capacity of about 220k ZR engines. Not nearly enough to cover the capacity needed for Corollas sold in 2007 or 2008

TOYOTA: News Releases

A press release in 2011 states the same capacity at that plant.

Cumulative Engine Production at Tianjin FAW Toyota Engine Co., Ltd. in China Reaches 2 Million Mark | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE

In 2008 approximately 400k Corrollas were sold in North America alone.

Toyota Corolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are around 8 different variants of the Toyota "ZR" engine

Toyota ZR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt very much that the engine for the CT is produced at the plant you are mentioning.

Wikipedia has some bad information. Online forums have some bad information.

Lets do our best to put out good info here if we can. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just go to Wikipedia: "The 1.6L and 1.8L ZR engines are built in Tianjin FAW Toyota Engine Co., Ltd. (TFTE) Plant No. 2, beginning in April 2007"
MADE IN CHINA, FOR CHINESE VEHICLES.

I own two Lexus CT200h vehicles parked in my garage, and I can assure you both were manufactured in Japan.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
That means it was assembled in Japan with a Chinese engine and all the parts are labeled Toyota.
NO, it does not mean that it was assembled in Japan with a Chinese engine and all the parts are labelled 'Toyota'. It means that it was manufacured in Japan with a Hybrid engine made in Japan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those engines are built for the Chinese market. 2M engines is not enough for the world. Read the articles, folks... I echo "good grief" above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone give me some info on the location of the drop panel under the CT for a DIY oil change? I folowed a thread on You Tube for the third gen Priius for an oil change on that car, but the markings on the plastic panels under the CT are different. Already bought the filter element and O-ring (which, by the way, are sold by Toyota-same parts number-for half the price as I discovered). JUst can't quite figure out which side the filter and pan are on. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did my first oil change...............Ugh! The plastic clips which hold up the access panel are really crappy, I'm sure I will break them sooner or later. I would like to get replacement clips ahead of time, does any one know what the part numbers for these are? 2012 CT200h

Also the filter housing was murder to get off without a filter wrench, I will be picking one up for the next change........It seems they are doing everything possible to prevent owners from changing their own oil.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just did my first oil change...............Ugh! The plastic clips which hold up the access panel are really crappy, I'm sure I will break them sooner or later. I would like to get replacement clips ahead of time, does any one know what the part numbers for these are? 2012 CT200h

Also the filter housing was murder to get off without a filter wrench, I will be picking one up for the next change........It seems they are doing everything possible to prevent owners from changing their own oil.
Have you considered using one of those oil-sucking devices instead?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have you considered using one of those oil-sucking devices instead?
The drain plug is in the bottom of the sump for a reason. That is the only way to get out all the old oil, including the crud that accumulates in the bottom of the sump.

Oil sucking devices use the dipstick tube to do their thing. Dipstick tubes are for dipsticks, which do not reach right to the bottom of the sump. Dipstick tubes are not meant for oil suction devices. Oil suction devices are a kludge, a bodge for amateurs who are made to believe they're easier than the best way of draining oil: by way of the oil drain plug.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts