Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not liable if this mod causes blindness, heart attack, stroke, your girlfriend or wife leaving you. Any spelling mistakes in this article are all entirly my fault. Any grammer errors spotted in this article were put there because I could. Use at your own risk, any damage or injury which may happen from using this DIY is your own fault, i am just trying to assist

Tools needed:
● low wattage Soldering iron (i had a soldering gun with a hot knife tip and smoothing tip as well)
○ Soldering tip
○ Hot knife tip
● Solder
● Sharp knife (optional)
● Hot glue gun w/ hot glue (optional
● Tie wire(had some left over from Christmas decorations)
● Trim tools or something skinny and flat, a putty knife would work
● blue tape (not absolutley needed, good to have as preventative)
● Dremel or something to make small holes
● Side cutter(dike) scissor tough enough to cut tie wire
Follow Steps in service manual to remove interior trim (I will try to get a picture later, its only snap clips)
Once all hatch plastic trim is off you will see these 3 bolts (circled in red), remove these

After those are off the light assembly pull out, if there is any resistance you can press on the bolt ends to work in your favor

I blue taped the front lens
I carefully peeled all the foam and rubber off to keep the sticky stuff intact, i was lucky it was still fresh so it peeled fairly easily. If yours is not so nice you can always apply new double sided tape in its place
I then marked next to all the holes where there was a screw with a nylon and rubber washer so i knew where they went, then removed all the screws from the light assembly
The side plastic piece wanted to fight me so i put the trim tool between it and the lamp and twisted and it popped out

The button at the end of that side plastic is melted on, this will be the first time you use your hot knife. I basically just skinned the top layer off and pulled it off.

Time to go crazy with your hot knife, the pictures below illustrate the path i chose to cut. I tried to stay a safe distance from the outer lens like a ¼ “ - ½”, in some places its tight and inbetween grooves. or at the pointy corner. Minimally i didnt pass the lip the lens goes into

Then i stuck my trim tool in the line i just cut and twisted to spread it apart. There was some cracking noise from places that melted themselves back together. Some of the areas that were tight i ran the hot knife through again untill it fully seperated

Everything all apart, you can see where my fingers pointing that i was a little close to the red reflector attachement.( i end up accidently breaking the tab anyway later, and i just melted it back on)

The front, wah lah(soon to never look like that again....useless)

Close picture of me getting to close to the red reflector tabs

LED Board preperation, I didnt get good pictures of this but on the backside of the exled board around the edges are blank soldering spots, i used those to solder on a piece of tie wire, I used my 25W soldering iron for this.
You can see in the picture as well that the board that is an additional reverse light did not have soldering points, I used epoxy on the driver side(which i realized took to long to dry), so on the passenger side i used CA Glue and accelerator(which dried instantly)
You can also see in the picture that i put hotglue over the parts where the wires met the board, i did this on all the led modules so that the wire would bend the wrong way and fall off causing me have to resolder it. You may have to use your hot knife to make it a thin layer if you globbed it on like me. The globs caused the brake led modules to not sit properly so i had to make them less globy with my hot knife

Next is plastic preperation for retrofit. Its kind of hard to see but i marked the holes where my wires will go through and the corners where the tie wires will go

Then used my dremel with a rotating drill bit to make holes

Time to test fit, poke your wire and tie wire in the appropriate places and see if it sits nicely

After you get it to fit nicely pull the wire snug and pull in any direction you see fit, take your hot knife and hold it perpendicular to the wire and press in till it sinks in. I tried to take some the surring plastic to smooth it over

after you mounted all 4 corners use a pair of dikes(side cutters) to cut the excess, carefull the tie wire is sharp and will poke you after your done

Continue this for all the led modules, I then hot glued my wires to look pretty, you can see places i tacked my tie wire

Almost there

Then you have to take the brake light modules and solder them to this board that is provided, pretty self explanatory if your doing this project, me being tired poked the wires through the wrong side. Works just fine though

I then hot glued the contract and taped off the module so it doesnt make metal to metal contact with anything and hot glued that inside the OEM reverse reflector

At this point i tested all the wires with a car battery, black wire to negative and tested each other one to positive
Everything works good so i busted out my hot knife to seal everything up, the top side had a large gap for some reason, this is okay, just squeeze it while you work the hot knife. I started by doing all the sides where the gap was close and saved the large one for last, i noticed if i released pressure with small parts tacked it would just break back open.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started to enjoy myself at this point

everything melted back together, you can see my wire management as well

Here you can see my driver side(dummy run) and i didnt cut out enough and i just melted it back together, Arrows show the ugly corners

I then replaced all the screws and tightened, You can see the corner i carefully removed the spot weld got melted anyways, oh well

From this point go ahead and place the foam and rubber pieces back on. and mount back to the car.
Modified vs original side by side

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wiring was pretty straightforward, i can go into more depth if need be. Basically i got power for the park lights from the licence plate light. and reverse light power from the reverse light bulb, I ended up not using these new LEDs as a brake light just as park lights but the brake light i got power from the 3rd(high mount) brake light.

This picture shows parklight brightness accurately, Its hard to capture in a picture because it depends how you look at it. The new LED's dont have a reflector like the OEM so the light isnt diffused. I dont mind it because i have seen some IS's that have a similiar effect on there deck lid.

The reverse lights are extremely bright. My girlfriend said "they hurt my face"

and my favorite picture so far

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill get some pics up of it all lit up hopefully tonight. i cant get an oem vs modded lit up picture cuz there both finished and on the car. Lets just say the OEM reverse is pathetic compared to the modded. I wired mine so the brake light would just run as parking/running lights i can wire them up so you can see the additional brightness it outputs when acting as a brake light. I dont feel they are as adequate as stock, i feel thats caused by not being in a reflector like the stocks are. They are nice and i am satisfied.

·
Registered
13 Posts
very ballsy install but props!

·
Registered
383 Posts
there is some pretty cool stuff on that website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts