Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I was looking at the CT200h this past spring after seeing one at a local auto show. Unfortunately a series of events occurred and I didn't purchase one, including the following:

1) Lexus dealer who wouldn't honor the $1000 discount coupon handed out at the auto show
2) Lexus dealer that seemed uninterested in helping me find the color/option combo that I wanted.
3) Tsunami hits and availability goes to crap
4) Trickle of cars come in recently for which dealers want MSRP still for a 2011 model year car that is about to become dated as the 2012's arrive.
5) Price hikes
6) Discussions with owners about their real gas mileage, experiences, etc.

Given all of these my interest in the CT200h really dropped off and I started looking at other cars. Since I have a radio show (Rides that Rock), I get calls from dealers at times who want me to cover something on the air or take part in some event, etc. Well yesterday my local Hyundai buddy calls me up and has something for me to see, not even something they can put on the showroom floor until Sept 1. It's the new Veloster from Hyundai.

(not actual car tested, that's a press photo)

It's roughly the same shape/size as the CT200h with more storage room in the back, nicer hatch, a cool panoramic roof and a coupe-look but with 3 doors. Base price - $17,300, price as fully loaded with every single option imaginable (some not found in Lexus) - $23,500. (less for a manual car). Ok, price is less, but what about how it drives and gas mileage?

First, the gas mileage is 40mpg highway from a direct injected 4cyl. CT200h owners I've talked to tell me they get 35-36 highway on average, and a bit more in town if they keep their foot out of sport mode. :) Ok, so gas mileage is comparible, but you don't lose the interior space to a battery pack, or haul around the extra weight. The Veloster is 2500 pounds, that's a lightweight these days!

So how does it drive? It is peppier and more responsive than the CT200h and tossing it into the corners exhibited no undue body roll, just a fun little car, dare I say somewhat mini-cooper like in that regard. Brakes were fine and road noise was virtually non existant. Would the car benefit from say a turbo? Yeah I guess so if your goal is to go faster still and give up some mpg, and supposedly a turbo version is coming in 2013, but for now the NA version is here as a 2012 model, at the beginning of the model year, when you'll get a whole year's worth out of it before the next model hits.

Warranty is better than the CT200h as well and Hyundai isn't charging a markup on the Veloster. According to my friend there's about $1000 between dealer cost and MSRP on the Veloster and they hope to get close to MSRP for the first ones sold but anticipates that discounts can be found, plus there are offerings from Hyundai that apply (military, education, etc.)

Stacking the two cars up against each other I can't really see a reason to go with the CT200h unless you just have to have a Lexus or just have to have a Hybrid, or like the styling or some particular feature more on the Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a CT200h hater, but I think this new Veloster is going to put a dent in sales of competitors like the Mazda 3 and even the CT200h. Sometimes when one door closes another one opens, and in the case of Veloster, it's a 3 door! :)

Check one out at your local Hyundai dealer after Sept 1st.

·
Registered
115 Posts
for me, a key difference is the 3-door vs. 4-door CT. i have 2 kids and won't subject them to a 3-door. interior quality may also make a difference. otherwise, i like the hyundai veloster - but honestly is it that much different from an Elantra which is already available?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Veloster looks interesting. However, regarding your MPG comment: after approx 6,000 my wife is consistently getting 45 mpg (actual calculation) and she hasn't changed her driving habits i.e. no pulse and glide......just GO! Hyundai has really upgraded their product portfolio over the last 2+ years.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Off hand, I would say this car doesn't compare particularly favourably to the Ford Focus.

- Doesn't get as good gas mileage
- Doesn't have as much room or as many doors
- Doesn't have the horse power of the focus.
- Very basic set of availabe features compared to the focus

Compared to the CT?
- no climate control, available memory seats, available leather, rain sensing wipers, 5 doors ...
- gas mileage isn't in the same ball park. My CT gets 47 US mpg ... while commuting in stop and go traffic!

On the other side
- it is a lot less expensive!
- it has an available manual transmission.

I think the main competitor for this car is the Honda CRZ.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
1 - I'm no champion of the CT - but my wife loves it.

2 - "First, the gas mileage is 40mpg highway from a direct injected 4cyl. CT200h owners I've talked to tell me they get 35-36 highway on average, and a bit more in town if they keep their foot out of sport mode. :) Ok, so gas mileage is comparable" - I wouldn't say mileage is comparable my wife averages 46 mpg (US) without any special driving technique.

3 - For many people buying a car boils down what can the get for the price they are willing to pay and more meaningful in today's economy what they can afford.

4 - I would hazard a guess that the Hyundai will sell to those people who perceive value. For people who can afford the Lexus not too may will choose the Hyundai over the CT.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it just me or would anyone else rather have a 2 door than a 3 door. 3 doors just seems really hokey to me...

Person A:"Alright, let's go"
Person B:"I've got shotgun"
Person C:"Damn, guess I'll get in the back" ...follows driver
Person A:"Ummm what are you doing, back seat entry is on the other side"

·
Registered
205 Posts
As some of you know I was looking at the CT200h this past spring after seeing one at a local auto show. Unfortunately a series of events occurred and I didn't purchase one, including the following:

1) Lexus dealer who wouldn't honor the $1000 discount coupon handed out at the auto show
2) Lexus dealer that seemed uninterested in helping me find the color/option combo that I wanted.
3) Tsunami hits and availability goes to crap
4) Trickle of cars come in recently for which dealers want MSRP still for a 2011 model year car that is about to become dated as the 2012's arrive.
5) Price hikes
6) Discussions with owners about their real gas mileage, experiences, etc.

Given all of these my interest in the CT200h really dropped off and I started looking at other cars. Since I have a radio show (Rides that Rock), I get calls from dealers at times who want me to cover something on the air or take part in some event, etc. Well yesterday my local Hyundai buddy calls me up and has something for me to see, not even something they can put on the showroom floor until Sept 1. It's the new Veloster from Hyundai.

(not actual car tested, that's a press photo)

It's roughly the same shape/size as the CT200h with more storage room in the back, nicer hatch, a cool panoramic roof and a coupe-look but with 3 doors. Base price - $17,300, price as fully loaded with every single option imaginable (some not found in Lexus) - $23,500. (less for a manual car). Ok, price is less, but what about how it drives and gas mileage?

First, the gas mileage is 40mpg highway from a direct injected 4cyl. CT200h owners I've talked to tell me they get 35-36 highway on average, and a bit more in town if they keep their foot out of sport mode. :) Ok, so gas mileage is comparible, but you don't lose the interior space to a battery pack, or haul around the extra weight. The Veloster is 2500 pounds, that's a lightweight these days!

So how does it drive? It is peppier and more responsive than the CT200h and tossing it into the corners exhibited no undue body roll, just a fun little car, dare I say somewhat mini-cooper like in that regard. Brakes were fine and road noise was virtually non existant. Would the car benefit from say a turbo? Yeah I guess so if your goal is to go faster still and give up some mpg, and supposedly a turbo version is coming in 2013, but for now the NA version is here as a 2012 model, at the beginning of the model year, when you'll get a whole year's worth out of it before the next model hits.

Warranty is better than the CT200h as well and Hyundai isn't charging a markup on the Veloster. According to my friend there's about $1000 between dealer cost and MSRP on the Veloster and they hope to get close to MSRP for the first ones sold but anticipates that discounts can be found, plus there are offerings from Hyundai that apply (military, education, etc.)

Stacking the two cars up against each other I can't really see a reason to go with the CT200h unless you just have to have a Lexus or just have to have a Hybrid, or like the styling or some particular feature more on the Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a CT200h hater, but I think this new Veloster is going to put a dent in sales of competitors like the Mazda 3 and even the CT200h. Sometimes when one door closes another one opens, and in the case of Veloster, it's a 3 door! :)

Check one out at your local Hyundai dealer after Sept 1st.
Are you really serious?

I was looking into the veloster,but it has been delayed many times.This car can compete with the honda civic Si and mini cooper , not a Lexus CT.

Lexus has many more features avil then the Hyundai,plus its seats are far more comfortable.

Just cause You had idiots at your dealership doesn't mean you should have stopped there.Couldn't you find another dealer? I'm sure you could.

FYI, Hyundai's warranty is only valid if you have dealer give the car a yearly service on top of the normal service requirements to make sure car is good. If you don't perform this yearly service,boom, warranty void. Something they don't tell you.

I'm still floored you are trying to compare this Lexus to a Hyundai. ROFLMAO

BTW,I'd like to see if your beloved Veloster can match my 49+ MPG,Doubt it

·
Registered
200 Posts
lmao at the title.. had me scared for a second.
Im sorry but it's a hyundai and this thing looks like the Nissan Juke to the Mini Cooper, NO COMPETITION!

it's cute though. but to say that this thing will be the death of the ct? ...way too unfair and biased.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry, but there's no way that Hyundai will get anywhere near the mileage of the CT200h.

I've only had mine for a week, she's not even broken in yet, but I pulled 44.1mpg on the first tank. (And that's expected to get even better after the engine is broken in, and a set of lightweight wheels won't hurt either).

What you failed to mention, and is extremely obvious, is that the city mileage and overall mileage don't come anywhere near the Lexus.

Only with the 6-speed manual does it get 40mpg highway, 28mpg city (whoops! forgot that bit, eh?) Or 32mpg combined.

With the dual clutch transmission it's even less, 29mpg in the city (one better), but only 38mpg highway, and again 32mpg combined.

I may have only gotten a C in math, but manufacturer's specs of 42mpg on the Lexus sound like they're quite a bit higher than 32mpg on the Hyundai. That's a good 30% difference, and out here in the real world where mine will be getting 30,000 miles per year (work vehicle), an extra 30% in gas sure hits the bottom line of my business.

Sure, the Lexus costs more, but guess what. It's worth more.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has come close to the hybrid efficiency of the Prius drive train in the city, and that's what the CT200h is sporting.

Now the Hyundai isn't a bad car, and they've SERIOUSLY gotten better in the looks department in the past 5 years, but I'd never be able to get that line out of my head from The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift:

"What you think, I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?!?!?!"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry, but there's no way that Hyundai will get anywhere near the mileage of the CT200h.

I've only had mine for a week, she's not even broken in yet, but I pulled 44.1mpg on the first tank. (And that's expected to get even better after the engine is broken in, and a set of lightweight wheels won't hurt either).

What you failed to mention, and is extremely obvious, is that the city mileage and overall mileage don't come anywhere near the Lexus.

Only with the 6-speed manual does it get 40mpg highway, 28mpg city (whoops! forgot that bit, eh?) Or 32mpg combined.

With the dual clutch transmission it's even less, 29mpg in the city (one better), but only 38mpg highway, and again 32mpg combined.

I may have only gotten a C in math, but manufacturer's specs of 42mpg on the Lexus sound like they're quite a bit higher than 32mpg on the Hyundai. That's a good 30% difference, and out here in the real world where mine will be getting 30,000 miles per year (work vehicle), an extra 30% in gas sure hits the bottom line of my business.

Sure, the Lexus costs more, but guess what. It's worth more.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has come close to the hybrid efficiency of the Prius drive train in the city, and that's what the CT200h is sporting.

Now the Hyundai isn't a bad car, and they've SERIOUSLY gotten better in the looks department in the past 5 years, but I'd never be able to get that line out of my head from The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift:

"What you think, I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?!?!?!"

lmao.. i have hyundai and kia phobia too.
they've improved so much over the years sometimes the cars roll by and you're like "daaamn what is that!? looks kinda nice" then it passes you and you see the crooked H sign and your like "oh.. ew.. hyundai"

·
Registered
53 Posts
I won't disparage Hyundai at all-- I traded in my Sonata for the CT (and got rid of the convertible 3rd car) and my wife has the great big Vera Cruz- it's a great car at a great value, and the new Elantra is one of the best looking cars out now at any price. In 3 years the only thing I ever 'fixed' on the Sonata was the brake light 3rd bulb.

The Veloster should do well, but they're going to market it against the Corolla/Matrix, Maz3, Cooper, Focus and probably most directly at the smaller niche young-buyer markets like the Kia Soul and Scion tC because it is not a traditional shape. Will there still be some buyers that cross-shop to premium brands? Sure, but Lexus's direct competitors will remain the compacts from Audi/BMW/Mercedes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If the car that passed you was de-badged, would you still put your nose in the air? I personally think the Lexus “experience” is way overrated. True car snobs don’t drive CT200h hybrids; they roll in Benz’s and Maserati’s. I love the pseudo-car snob that have to make themselves feel better at someone else’s expense. Cars are not blue-chip stocks that go up in value.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the car that passed you was de-badged, would you still put your nose in the air? I personally think the Lexus “experience” is way overrated. True car snobs don’t drive CT200h hybrids; they roll in Benz’s and Maserati’s. I love the pseudo-car snob that have to make themselves feel better at someone else’s expense. Cars are not blue-chip stocks that go up in value.
If you think the Lexus 'experience' is overrated, simply buy something else.

'True car snobs'...What are you talking about? Are you trying to insult us saying we are 'True car snobs', or trying to insult us saying we're not 'True car snobs' we're just posers.

Sounds like someone doesn't like their sour grapes.

Myself, I don't care whether it's badged a Toyota (prius) or a Lexus CT200h, I'm buying it based on it's mileage, handling, reliability, resale value, total cost of ownership, etc. I would have gone for the plug-in Prius in a heartbeat if it were out already.

I looked at the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and while it was a good car, it wasn't close to the mileage of a Prius, and didn't come near even the CT200h in overall mileage.

What really is the point of coming on a Lexus board and then sniping at literally everyone here and calling them snobs or wanna-be snobs.

If you want to make yourself feel better about your car choice, it's not going to happen here. Enjoy you're ride, we'll enjoy ours, m'kay?

·
Registered
100 Posts
This thread feels a bit like a troll to me.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

If the OP is honest, then i would suggest doing some more research. It sounds like he had a bad experience with a dealer and is using a lot of anecdotal info.

at the end of the day we all look for different things in a new car; the ct is a compact luxury hybrid hatchback and the veloster isn't.

when you drop the luxury hybrid qualifiers, the veloster is obviously an option to consider when looking at the focus, mazda3, crz and impreza hatchbacks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting title when you link it with this commercial.

The Hyundai Velostar commercial that got killed - YouTube
2 doors on the safe side, one on the other?

If that's their key selling point, they are in trouble. I learned to look out for oncoming cars quite a while ago.

I agree that this is a lower priced option marketed at a younger buyer. Anybody who has ever driven a luxury car is not likely to take such a giant leap backwards. You get what you pay for.

On another note.....I hate to see so many CT knockoffs rolling around out there.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts