Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after 30,000 miles, I thought I would take my 2012 CT in for the factory maintenance cycle. (They haven't seen the car since about 15,000 miles) First, I change my own oil. It's really simple, and if you're not doing it, you should. It takes an absolute minimum of tools, and saves bunches. Second, I had snow tires on my car for the winter, and I just took them off and put my regular tires back on.

I get to the dealership and find that the "standard" 30,000 checkup is $530. Yikes. What's included? An oil change ($120) which I just did myself, a tire rotation ($62.50) which I did when I changed my tires. A brake fluid change $110, OK, so that includes a flush of the brake system, right? Nope, it just means they drain the reservoir and replace the fluid in the reservoir. Not paying $110 for that! I let them replace the air filter and the cabin filter (which I could have done myself, but didn't want to fiddle with the cabin filter - next time I'll do the air cleaner myself and save $50. I put batteries in my remotes myself, saved $25 on each. My windshield wipers in the front are still perfect, so passed on that - $65. Had them replace the rear, which had become shredded.

My final cost? $186.00. That's a far cry from the $530 that it started as, and they checked and topped off and inspected everything that they were supposed to. The brakes are fine, the computer checked out, the Hybrid system is stellar.

Look, I know that owning a Lexus means paying a bit more for the service, but it doesn't mean that I need to throw money away.

I love my car, and now that I'm driving 125 miles every day on my commute, the 44 - 48 miles to a gallon that I get is really sweet. But I'd rather spend the extra $350 on gas, new tires, or a weekend with the girlfriend, you get the drill.

larry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you have TPMS on your winter wheels? If so, what did you do about registering the senders when you installed your summer wheels? My dealer charges about $50 to do that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
$50?!?! When I switch wheels from winter to all weathers I go to Discount Tire. They'll program the TPMS for free and it only takes 5 minutes. I just throw the guy that does it a few dollars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, after 30,000 miles, I thought I would take my 2012 CT in for the factory maintenance cycle. (They haven't seen the car since about 15,000 miles) First, I change my own oil. It's really simple, and if you're not doing it, you should. It takes an absolute minimum of tools, and saves bunches. Second, I had snow tires on my car for the winter, and I just took them off and put my regular tires back on.

I get to the dealership and find that the "standard" 30,000 checkup is $530. Yikes. What's included? An oil change ($120) which I just did myself, a tire rotation ($62.50) which I did when I changed my tires. A brake fluid change $110, OK, so that includes a flush of the brake system, right? Nope, it just means they drain the reservoir and replace the fluid in the reservoir. Not paying $110 for that! I let them replace the air filter and the cabin filter (which I could have done myself, but didn't want to fiddle with the cabin filter - next time I'll do the air cleaner myself and save $50. I put batteries in my remotes myself, saved $25 on each. My windshield wipers in the front are still perfect, so passed on that - $65. Had them replace the rear, which had become shredded.

My final cost? $186.00. That's a far cry from the $530 that it started as, and they checked and topped off and inspected everything that they were supposed to. The brakes are fine, the computer checked out, the Hybrid system is stellar.

Look, I know that owning a Lexus means paying a bit more for the service, but it doesn't mean that I need to throw money away.

I love my car, and now that I'm driving 125 miles every day on my commute, the 44 - 48 miles to a gallon that I get is really sweet. But I'd rather spend the extra $350 on gas, new tires, or a weekend with the girlfriend, you get the drill.

larry
Thanks for the update. I'm like you. I do most of my own maintenance, like oil changes, wheel changes, since my snows are mounted on their own rims, fluids, filters, wipers and batteries. What's the big deal? I even replaced the pads and rotors on all my previous cars, BMW 330xi and Mercedes ML320. If that's what they do for 30k, I have a feeling that nothing serious comes up until 60k.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't forget your transmission fluid change as most Prius owners have recommended doing the first one at 30K miles. It's easier than an oil change. http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-how-do-yourself/122633-transaxle-atf-fluid-change.html

larry

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd refrain from changing the transmission fluid.

The manual states that it is sealed and never needs filling/changing.

If your transmission goes out, they can deny warranty coverage since you tampered with a part which was clearly stated to not touch.

I'm a firm believer in changing fluids more often than recommended (especially with automatic transmissions, as I had to replace the tranny in a Mercedes that I had bought used). But risking the powertrain warranty isn't worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And to add to the OP's experience, I too just went through the 30k-mile service. Luckily I had looked at what was included and their $500 price tag made me laugh.

I ordered an oil-filter removal tool, magnetic drain plug, and the oil, air, and cabin filters. I changed the oil and filters in about 35 minutes and rotated the tires. Total cost, about $100 including the tool which I'll use time and time again.

I did have Lexus do the brake system flush (at least they told me it was a complete flush) which cost $139.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answers:

Jay - No, I didn't put TPMS sensors in my winter wheels. The cost of $60 - $75 or more per tire was more than I wanted to spend. I have a tire gauge that cost $15, and it's cheaper to test the tires from time to time. The flashing light on the dash telling me that the sensor is upset doesn't bother me as much as a lighter wallet.

Ken: I enjoy fiddling with my car. Not sure I'm going to be changing brakes on it, yet. The most I've done on a car was changing the front wheel bearings on my 73 Porsche. That was a chore, but I got it done, and the feeling of satisfaction was wondrous. Now I'm a tire, battery and oil kind of guy.

Lexo - I share TPete19's caution. I wouldn't touch it unless Lexus says it's OK. this is a continuously variable transmission. You may be messing with the unknown. I had a Lexus SC300, and they recommended changing the tranny fluid every 15,000 miles. That was a heavy maintenance cycle, but they said so, and I did it. If they don't recommend it - and I don't see anything that says that Lexus wants us to do it, I wouldn't touch it. BTW, you don't own a Prius, you own a Lexus CT. There are differences and similarities. The maintenance cycle could be different by design.

And Pete, I hope that they did a complete flush for the $139. My dealer told me that they just replaced the fluid in the reservoir. That's a rip-off, like a $60 tire rotation. You kidding? reedonkulous!!

larry

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is the Prius engine and transmission. They would never know if you changed the transmission fluid if you did not tell them. There is no secret magic seal that indicates you messed with it. Just 2 bolts, one to fill and one to drain. Cheap insurance to avoid a new tranny after the warranty expires and they will last the warranty with no maintenance, it is afterward you need to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Lexus service costs are high ... You pay for the personal service, and the lounge, and the
coffee and cookies ( free ? ha ha) and the loaner cars.

Yes, the engine and transmission are Prius -so some Toyota dealers will service for about half the price.

There are also independent Lexus specialized service dealers ( not sure if in all small locales , but Houston has some).

Then, if you really want to go cheap ( er I mean inexpensive) they key thing you need to remember is to change the oil.

Some things need to be done at an authorized dealer, IMHO, such as cleaning the throttle plate at 30K miles (mileage starts to drop if you don't)

Sometimes "luxury" just costs more .... at least it is not at the Ferrari or Lamborghini level

·
Registered
71 Posts
Couple other hints / advice:
1. When any of the 3 wipers goes bad, go to Lexus and buy the refills only. They are real cheap, like a few bucks each. Removing the old rubber blade and replacing with the new blade is easy and simple.
2. The cabin air filter is very easy to change yourself. Doesn't even require tools. Don't pay the dealer service department to do that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I unfortunately did get the oil change done from them ($99) but it was a peace of mind compared to the meineke or midas next door who took 3.5 hours for a damn oil change.

Plus, I needed state inspection and a my key fob programmed so I guess I paid for not having to stop by multiple places at once. (Austin lexus)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts