Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Curt Hitch and Yakima Hitch Mount Bike Rack Installation

47K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  jobu1 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
How sturdy is this hitch and how well does it hold your bike?
The hitch is massively sturdy for carrying bikes. It is attached to the CT frame with 4 M12-1.25x30mm hex bolts. You could easily carry the weight of four modern bicycles. Heck you could theoretically tow one ton with it. Here are the specs:

Rating: Class I
Maximum gross trailer weight: 2,000 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 200 lbs

Curt Manufacturing does provide the following note:

Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from CURT.

I used a similar curt hitch on my former ride. It had the same specs and I pulled a trailler loaded with two GasGas trials motorcycles, through mountains, over gravel roads and rough terrain. I have complete faith in these hitches. After selling the trials bikes and trailer, I bought the Yakima hitch-mount bike carrier. I had great results with it.

Who Said Box Can't Tow? by peckhammer, on Flickr

#11 ·
How did the addition of the bike rack affect mileage? Either loaded or unloaded? =]
I noticed no difference, but my sample rate is small... IOW, I have not done a bunch of highway miles with the bikes on the car; only city driving. I think it's possible to lower your highway mileage due to wind resistance with bikes on the carrier, but I would not expect to see a huge difference.

#22 ·
$125 as mentioned by another poster is the lowest I've seen for a hitch. The most reasonably priced rack (IMO) is the one I have. A Swagman XC2 will set you back about $150 shipped (depending on where you get it from and when). I've had mine for about 8 years.

#29 ·
The '14 and '15 are the same model type so it will fit (no body/mechanical changes were made):

New for 2015
  • Siri Eyes Free Mode
  • Additional voice commands for NAV equipped
  • Lexus Enform App Suite adds Slacker and upgrades to iHeartRadio 4.0
  • Updated HomeLink with easier programming and two-way communication to let user know door is closed
  • Rear F SPORT badge on F SPORT
  • Turn signals adopt three-flash system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.