1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is awesome. I was planning on putting a hitch on my car as well. How sturdy is this hitch and how well does it hold your bike?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How sturdy is this hitch and how well does it hold your bike?
The hitch is massively sturdy for carrying bikes. It is attached to the CT frame with 4 M12-1.25x30mm hex bolts. You could easily carry the weight of four modern bicycles. Heck you could theoretically tow one ton with it. Here are the specs:

Rating: Class I
Maximum gross trailer weight: 2,000 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 200 lbs

Curt Manufacturing does provide the following note:

Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from CURT.

I used a similar curt hitch on my former ride. It had the same specs and I pulled a trailler loaded with two GasGas trials motorcycles, through mountains, over gravel roads and rough terrain. I have complete faith in these hitches. After selling the trials bikes and trailer, I bought the Yakima hitch-mount bike carrier. I had great results with it.

Who Said Box Can't Tow? by peckhammer, on Flickr

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often do you scrape the hitch?
On the CT? It's only been on the car for a few days, but it never scraped once. On my former car, however, we called it the spark generator when there were a couple of adults in the back seat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You knew someone was going to ask, so I'll just blurt it out:

How did the addition of the bike rack affect mileage? Either loaded or unloaded? =]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did the addition of the bike rack affect mileage? Either loaded or unloaded? =]
I noticed no difference, but my sample rate is small... IOW, I have not done a bunch of highway miles with the bikes on the car; only city driving. I think it's possible to lower your highway mileage due to wind resistance with bikes on the carrier, but I would not expect to see a huge difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for doing all the hard work researching this. I am way too short to consider a roof mount system. My pink cruiser bicycle is going to look so cute mounted on the back of my ct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed this hitch without a jack and did not have any problems. It seems very sturdy.

Has anyone used the support strap? I bought it, but it seems a though it puts a lot of pressure on the rear spoiler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed no difference, but my sample rate is small... IOW, I have not done a bunch of highway miles with the bikes on the car; only city driving. I think it's possible to lower your highway mileage due to wind resistance with bikes on the carrier, but I would not expect to see a huge difference.
When I had my HS250h I did a cross-country drive with 2 bikes on a Swagman hitch-mounted carrier. Highway fuel consumption increased by about 15%. I don't know if the effect will be the same with the CT as it has different aerodynamics than the HS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got a one of these put on and a swagman bike rack. Mpg dropped a little,but I so have different wheels and tires so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
photo.jpg
Went with the CURT hitch & Thule T2. Only 25 miles on the fully loaded setup, but so far it seems quite nice. No additional road noise, easy to installed/remove the bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts