Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there!

I hope my question would generate some constructive feedback.

I own ct200h base with R17 OEM rims

Went thru a number of threads in hope to learn if anyone switched from OEM R17s to R15s or R16s rims.

Couple of threads mentioned R16 and none that were useful about R15.

I understand that a good number of owners would prefer the good looks and slightly better cornering stability with the up-sizing.

However, the larger rims mean worse mpgs (increase of RR), heavier wheel/tire weight, more load on the suspension (worse quality ride), lesser choice for tire sizes and shorter thread life.

Mechanically ct200h is the same as Prius 3 and 4. Prius do have R15-R17 rims choices. I don't see Toyota using different breaks and wheel hardware for two closely related siblings. So R15 rims on ct200h should not be a problem.

Speed-wise, OEMs 215/45R17 closely matched to 205/60R15.

Let me hear your arguments and thoughts why doing down-sizing is a bad idea. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I guess it's your own preference but I think that would look silly unless you also changed the springs to lower the suspension to match the reduced wheel size. Otherwise you are going to have a huge gap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leonar40, I appreciate your opinion!

A 2 mm loss in wheel's height can't be considered "a huge gap". You may want to verify the calcs using this website: www.willtheyfit.com. If anything, R15 would be shorter in height and narrower in profile.

Some go for looks and others for comfort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used some wheel/tire setup with 225/45/17 and its almost 10lbs lighter than the oem wheel/tire 215/45/17 (44lbs ..ish) i did not notice any significant difference in mpg. I know there's a lot of factors but i wonder how much prius setup would make difference. And my current 225/50/17 (about 2 lbs lighter than oem) also didn't make much difference in mpg but I'm so happy with ride quality and looks with smaller tire and fender gap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts