Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please DO NOT get mad at me!!
Before ordering the 2012 CT200h in Canada I was about to order the new 2012 VW Golf GTI. I wanted a small powerful car, after giving my present car (2008 Infiniti G35X) to my son. I know that the 2 cars are completely different in character but I would like to hear from someone on this forum, that had a VW GTI and got the CT200h what is there opinion.
I read all the reviews of the CT200h before I ordered the car and I am aware of the power difference between the two.

Thanks for understanding

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Please DO NOT get mad at me!!
Before ordering the 2012 CT200h in Canada I was about to order the new 2012 VW Golf GTI. I wanted a small powerful car, after giving my present car (2008 Infiniti G35X) to my son. I know that the 2 cars are completely different in character but I would like to hear from someone on this forum, that had a VW GTI and got the CT200h what is there opinion.
I read all the reviews of the CT200h before I ordered the car and I am aware of the power difference between the two.

Thanks for understanding
I'm not mad! :) Wow, how old is your son? Hope he's not a new driver, I came from an '04 G35 and that's a powerful car, never mind the '08 version.

Sorry, I don't have nor have I ever had a GTI, but I wanted to share that if the CT 200h had not come out, I would likely have been looking at the new VW R20 that's coming out in a couple of months. I've read up on that car and have seen some videos and it's a pretty damn nice car and will also be limited production. My friend has the R32, and that car is sweet as it is, but the new one is quicker, still AWD and gets better mileage because of the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have seen the VW R20 in the Netherlands a few weeks ago. This car is a real rocket.
I can not compere the CT200h and the GTI but I know that my wife did not like to seat in the GTI. She found the car to be rough on the road (Sport suspension) and almost became sick on the test drive. This is the reason I found the CT200h and she liked the ride in it. If it was only up to me I would have bought the GTI or the R20. My son is 32 years old and a very good driver.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you thought of getting both ! :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got some info. Here I am sharing.

Comfort
Passengers in the back seat will be able to stretch out a lot more in the Volkswagen GTI than

the Lexus CT 200h, due to its greater head- and legroom. Offering just a little more front

head- and legroom than the Lexus CT 200h, drivers may find the Volkswagen GTI a little

roomier and somewhat more comfortable.

Convenience
You'll be making about the same number of stops at the gas station with the Lexus CT 200h as

you will with the Volkswagen GTI, as they get the same number of miles per tank of gas.

Cost
There are a lot of factors to consider when calculating the overall cost of a vehicle. The

main consideration is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). The Lexus CT 200h is

somewhat more expensive than the Volkswagen GTI. Another consideration is the Destination

Charge, which is a standard charge for transporting the vehicle to the dealer from where it's

built. The Destination Charge for the Lexus CT 200h is much higher than that for the

Volkswagen GTI.

Dimensions
The Lexus CT 200h is about the same width as the Volkswagen GTI. For some people, bigger is

better. If that's the case for you, then you'll be happier with the Lexus CT 200h, which is

slightly longer than the Volkswagen GTI.

Drivetrain
The Lexus CT 200h has much less torque than the Volkswagen GTI, which generally means that it

won't feel as fast or powerful.

Handling
The Lexus CT 200h has a smaller turning radius than the Volkswagen GTI, allowing you to more

easily maneuver in and out of tight spots.

Performance
When it comes to horsepower, the Lexus CT 200h is significantly less powerful than the

Volkswagen GTI. The good news is that, reportedly, cars with lower horsepower engines often

have lower insurance premiums.

Utility
In terms of seating you'll be able to fit the same number of people in both the Lexus CT 200h

and the Volkswagen GTI. The Lexus CT 200h has significantly less cargo room than the

Volkswagen GTI, which may be a concern if you do a lot of warehouse shopping.

Warranty
You'll have greater peace of mind with the more generous basic warranty of the Lexus CT 200h than that of the Volkswagen GTI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you considered the VW Golf TDI instead of the GTI?
It has 140hp + 236 lb-ft TQ @ 1,750~2,500 RPM and FE 6.7L/100KM (City):4.6L/100KM (Hwy).
The Golf's fuel tank holds 55L vs the CT's 45L.

My 2011 Jetta TDI has the same Diesel engine and even with my heavy-foot driving I get between 850~900KM (6.1L/100KM) per tank real world consumption. My Hwy speeds are usually 120~140KM/Hr yet I get decent FE with the TDI.
Currently my daughter is driving it and she gets even better FE with the last tank @ 5.7L/100KM combined.
The high TQ makes driving effortless.
The Highline TDI costs the same as the GTI but it's FE is way better and currently Diesel is cheaper than Premium gas which is recommended for the GTI!
The VW is a different class from the CT which is an entry level luxury car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Golf Wagon TDI Highline was one of the cars that we looked at before buying the CT. We decided against it because, in Canada, the Golf TDI is more expensive than the CT, but contains very few luxury features. (no climate control, no power seats, very chincy interior).

The interior of that car does not compare well with cars that are a lot less expensive like the Ford Focus or Hyundai Elantra.

I notice that the prices for German cars are very much lower in the US. It might really be worth buying a Golf TDI south of the border.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think it's sort of hard to compare the two... the CT200h has a totally different purpose / appeal as the GTI.

Without going into detail comparing specs / features, etc, I think it will just boil down to your gut feeling when you drive the cars.

To me, if you care about getting the BEST fuel efficiency (which I can assume is at least important since the CT is even an option), then the GTI certainly isn't the best - 7.5 combined L / 100km city compared to 4.7 L / 100 km city... equating to a THEORETICAL 960km compared to 600 km for the same volume of fuel.

For my use, the two cars would work out to about 210 / month vs 120 / month in fuel costs.

So... in THEORY, would I be willing to pay an extra $90 a month for 65hp more? Since I am coming from a 390hp Evo, 65 hp I don't think would make much difference to me, and my wife has had bad experiences with her previous golf so my opinion may be biased.

Personally, I'd rather pay an extra $90/ month for more options on the CT than the greater fuel costs of the GTI.

Great suggestion on the TDI though - now that is more like comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Golf Wagon TDI Highline was one of the cars that we looked at before buying the CT. We decided against it because, in Canada, the Golf TDI is more expensive than the CT, but contains very few luxury features. (no climate control, no power seats, very chincy interior).

The interior of that car does not compare well with cars that are a lot less expensive like the Ford Focus or Hyundai Elantra.

I notice that the prices for German cars are very much lower in the US. It might really be worth buying a Golf TDI south of the border.
VW Canada's website has the Golf TDI listed as CAD$25,275.00 MSRP for the Comfortline while the base CT is CAD$30.950.00.
If I'm not mistaken you can get 0% financing for 36 months too.
Diesel engines are built to last longer than a gasser and they hold their resale value.
Personally I would not buy another gasser unless it's a hybrid like the CT.

Great suggestion on the TDI though - now that is more like comparing apples to apples.
IMO, the TDI is a great work vehicle if you do a lot of highway driving while the CT is perfect for the urban/city driving.
The CT is the nicest Hybrid with great FE + luxury and at a very reasonable price.
That's why I ordered one.:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
What about reliability? We can talk about cost, comfort, and performance, but if I'm not sure it's going to start EVERY SINGLE MORNING, I'm not interested.

Personally, I LOVE to looks of the Audi A3 wagon. I think it's the neatest looking car on the road. However, Audi's abyssal reliability record make it a no-go for me.

In addition, I would never buy a car without the smart-key system (or equivalent). I haven't had to put a key in the ignition since February 2005, but I suppose if you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about reliability? We can talk about cost, comfort, and performance, but if I'm not sure it's going to start EVERY SINGLE MORNING, I'm not interested.

Personally, I LOVE to looks of the Audi A3 wagon. I think it's the neatest looking car on the road. However, Audi's abyssal reliability record make it a no-go for me.

In addition, I would never buy a car without the smart-key system (or equivalent). I haven't had to put a key in the ignition since February 2005, but I suppose if you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing.
The 2011 Jetta TDI does come with smart key + push button start in the Highline model.
My BMW 335d is equipped with the same but it's called comfort access.
The BMW's NAV can get your destinations from Google Maps. You simply plan your destinations on your computer and send them to your BMW NAV and retrieve them when you are driving.

So far my VW Jetta has covered 15,000KM since Feb '11 and has never failed to start.
My 335d has over 50,000 KM of trouble-free joyful driving since nov 2009.
The BMW includes free scheduled maintenance for 80,000 KM.

I am adding the CT as a third car and am sure being a Lexus it should be very reliable and economical although it'll be the slowest of the trio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reading all the above answers to my post, I have decided to go with the CT200h. What I did not mention in my original post is that I drive about 6000 KM PER YEAR!!
I mostly fly to the US or Europe. So the savings on fuel are going to be minimal (about $50 per month). Thank you all for taking the time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 2011 Jetta TDI does come with smart key + push button start in the Highline model.
The BMW's NAV can get your destinations from Google Maps. You simply plan your destinations on your computer and send them to your BMW NAV and retrieve them when you are driving.

So far my VW Jetta has covered 15,000KM since Feb '11 and has never failed to start.

I am adding the CT as a third car and am sure being a Lexus it should be very reliable and economical although it'll be the slowest of the trio.
Sorry, I was referring to the Audi A3 which does not offer smart key and historically has poor reliability. I have truly been spoiled by driving Toyota products for the last 10+ years. They just go forever.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts

OMGOD DC-IT. I love the 335d. I was gonna get that as my next car since it would have been much more reliable than the petrol/gas BMW 335. They are so freakin' hard to find in CA. Had to go to Vegas to locate some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to the Audi A3 which does not offer smart key and historically has poor reliability. I have truly been spoiled by driving Toyota products for the last 10+ years. They just go forever.
No need to apologize. You're correct in being concern about VW + Audi poor reliability. My VW has already got two recalls to fix an electrical issue and wind noise!
The TDI's in the US have quite a few failures in the HPFP which is likely caused by the lower lubricity of the US Diesel and some owners have accidentally fill their tanks with gas!
Here in Canada the HPFP failure is very rare as the Diesel is of a higher standard.

I've driven Hondas for over 15 years and have over that past two years switched over to Diesel vehicles.

Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I loved my '07 GTI (6MT, plaid seats, factory aero, 18" huff wheels). It was a great car to drive, the engine loved to rev out to redline and onramps were always exciting. That said, after 3.5 years and 12 unscheduled trips to the dealer (3 or 4 recalls, everything else was defect related), I threw in the towel on my VW experiment. I was about to go out of powertrain warranty and the AC was not working again. My calculations of depreciation, insurance cost, and potential minor repairs showed I was better off just selling it and daily drive my '10 4Runner... which has 19k miles in 14 months and not a single problem. As much as I loved that GTI, it just wasn't a well built car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OMGOD DC-IT. I love the 335d. I was gonna get that as my next car since it would have been much more reliable than the petrol/gas BMW 335. They are so freakin' hard to find in CA. Had to go to Vegas to locate some.
Thanks Matt.
When I was switching over to Diesel in 2009 I actually paid a deposit to advance order the M-B E350 BlueTec and was promised a delivery date of Dec 2009 but M-B did not release the BlueTec till Summer of 2010!
So I got my deposit back and test drove the 335d and was hooked by it's 425 lb-ft TQ so I ordered a 2010 loaded with Nav/leather+Premium Package and got it in Nov 2009.
The 2011 335d can be ordered with the M-Sports package which looks even better but unfortunately was not available when I ordered mine.
You're correct about the 335i which has HPFP failures and many owners had 3~4 HPFP replaced! But the 335d seems to be trouble free so far and it get a very reasonable combined FE of 7.1L/100KM (32USMPG) for such a high performance vehicle even though I drive it like I stole it on the Hwys!
Cheers.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Interesting post DC-IT :)

You live in Canada ... Is there something special you have to do to get the diesel to start when the temperature is well below freezing? I notice these cars come with standard block heaters, but you can't always plug the car in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting post DC-IT :)

You live in Canada ... Is there something special you have to do to get the diesel to start when the temperature is well below freezing? I notice these cars come with standard block heaters, but you can't always plug the car in.
I park my 2 Diesels in my garage and never had any problems starting in the mornings during the coldest Winter days with either of the vehicles.
Although the TDI comes fitted with the block heater I've never had to plug it in.
I've driven them out in cold days (-20C) and even when parked outside for several hours had no difficulty starting them.

These modern Diesels are also quiet and very clean. The BMW does require urea treatment (D.E.F.) which needs to be refilled every 20,000KM or every oil change.
The TDI being a 2.0L and smaller vehicle does not need the DEF.

Enough said this is a Lexus CT Forum and I do not mean to hijack the discussion to Diesels.

I found there is a Daybreak Mica with Nav in Barrie so I might drive up there and check it out. If the SO likes the colour I might grab it rather than wait...wait...wait...

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts