Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a CT200h the first week of March and when I called in the VIN to my insurance carrier (Nationwide), they did not have this model in their system yet. My CT replaced a car costing 2.5x as much, but my annual insurance rate only went down by literally a few dollars. Does anyone have any experience with their carriers charging more than what a $35K car should cost to insure? Is the problem that this model has no history yet? I haven't yet shopped around to see if the issue is with my particular carrier or something else.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
$1200 a year for good coverage with Century 21
Comparable to my two BMW's
Cost of vehicle is only one component of insurance coverage, which is like a Chinese menu of choices and price to determine total c

·
Registered
200 Posts
Better than I thought

Just put the car on my SAFECO policy. CHanged my 2003 Honda Pilot to "Leisure" and made this primary, under 50 mile a day driving. This only added $175 to the policy. Since I pay quarterly maybe $700 extra a year? That seems too cheap. I should get the updated insurance documents soon and will know the true cost but it seems reasonable. We have other vehicles so there are some discounts built in. Many factors for insurance premiums including geographic location, driver age, accident history, etc.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I live in Northwest New Jersey, added my CT to my policy from New Jersey Manufacturers, a year will cost me $1,067, not bad! It is very similar to my 2010 Audi Q5, 2010 Mercedes E550 and 2009 BMW 5-series wagon.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I am a high risk driver. AND I'm 22 years old. For me to insure this car, it will cost me roughly $400 a month for a six month policy. I can't wait until I turn 25. Jesus Christ. I've learned my lessons.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am a high risk driver. AND I'm 22 years old. For me to insure this car, it will cost me roughly $400 a month for a six month policy. I can't wait until I turn 25. Jesus Christ. I've learned my lessons.
Wow Matt! That is really expensive. Yes, being a young male in Cali, plus 1 accident really pushes the price up. You poor thing. I'm glad you were okay after that horrble sounding accident.

·
Registered
82 Posts
$400 a month? Holly hell insurance man! I remember turning 25. I was more excited to turn 25 and watch my premiums drop then it was to turn 21 and attempt to kill my liver.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just received my updated policy from SAFECO. Cost to insure the CT200h is $472 for 6 months or $944 a year. This is solid coverage with a $200 deductible. Coverage is for suburban Maryland (not Baltimore that would probably double the cost).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I called my carrier (CSAA) here in California three days ago to add full coverage on the CT and cancel the full coverage on a 2005 Saturn Vue I sold to a friend. The Vue had a low (trade-in) Kelly Blue Book value of about $9000. After all was said and done, the underwriter handling the transaction said he had some good news. Turns out the CT is costing me only $24 more per year than the Saturn. When I asked why so little (I made it clear I was not complaining) he said it was primarily because the CT was a hybrid. The Policy Declaration arrived in today's mail and sure enough, the underwriter had it right. The CT is in fact costing me $2 per month more than the Saturn. To quote Charlie Sheen..."Winning!"

·
Registered
25 Posts
My insurance is about 115 a month, with pretty high coverage and a 300 deductible. Single and male in cali..I wonder if my insurance will ever be low. lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a CT200h the first week of March and when I called in the VIN to my insurance carrier (Nationwide), they did not have this model in their system yet. My CT replaced a car costing 2.5x as much, but my annual insurance rate only went down by literally a few dollars. Does anyone have any experience with their carriers charging more than what a $35K car should cost to insure? Is the problem that this model has no history yet? I haven't yet shopped around to see if the issue is with my particular carrier or something else.
As an insurance agent coincidentally with Nationwide....I can tell you comparing insurance rates with others is comparing apples to oranges. There's so many variables involved to calculate your premium it's crazy. Driving records, age, your credit score......down to where you live all play factors.

So even if you compared two 30 year old males with clean driving histories, driving the same vehicle, the premium would still range quite a bit.

How long have you had your existing policy? I'd contact your local agent or the service center and have them rewrite your policy if your policy is older than 5 years. They can also do an On Your Side review to make sure you're getting the discounts you should be. Another thing to try is have them run a recent credit report.

Do you have a renters or home owners policy with someone else? The multi-policy discount is pretty significant.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts