Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed 4 years in a Prius T Spirit clocking just over 100k miles. Due to a regrade of my company car band the CT200H is available to me as a choice this time around.

I've read elsewhere that the CT200h is a rebadged Prius but are there any key differences that's worth me bearing in mind ? Does anyone have any experiences of both cars that you might be able to share with me ?

Thanks

T

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was in the same situation last Nov 2014, we looked and tested drive both... no RIGHT or WRONG answer , it depends
If you need room, then go with the Prius
If you want excitement, then go with CT
If you could afford, then go with CT
If you wanna feel younger, go with the CT
If you wanna luxury, then go with the CT

Once we narrowed down to CT, then the only major question is NAV or not.. I am extremely glad that we went with the NAV, it's a lot more than just the GPS. I drive cars until I throw them out , but if I wanna sell it , it's more marketable... I am still driving my '96 E-320 MB and loving it, almost 20 yrs and my friends told me it looks brand new, probably due to its design (almost bought a GS 300 at that time, glad I did not...)

·
Registered
990 Posts
From someone that drives a 2011 CT and has a sister with a 2014 Prius that I drive on a regular basis the cars are near identical when it comes to drive and road feel. Performance wise they are 100% identical. Handling is just ever so slightly better in the CT but the difference is negligible. Now with regards the fuel economy performance the Prius is leaps and bounds better. I average 40-42 mpg in my CT and with the Prius I average 50-52 mpg. Now the obvious difference is that the Prius is not a good looking car, it's ugly in my opinion. The CT is a head turner. Interior is significantly better in the CT and is has more luxurious accents. The Prius is filled with cheap plastic all over the interior. They didn't put much effort into the Prius interior. Now the other major difference is technology. The Prius definitely edges out the CT in this area. My sisters car is loaded with adaptive cruise control and a heads up display. The heads up display is not available in the CT but adaptive cruise control is at a hefty price tag. I'd still rather take the CT over the Prius any day but Toyota severely messed up when it comes to the CT technology.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Prius is the most ugly hybrid in the market. Go for CT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree the ct is on balance the better buy and Lexus the better brand. The prius just doesn't have the cache. The other toyota to consider is the toyota auris hybrid but I don't think it ever made it into USA?

·
380 Posts
I have both. 2012 CT and 2010 Prius. The Prius is great and a little more functional than the CT, but the CT wins on comfort and driving experience.
If you routinely move a lot of stuff around or have kids, the Prius might be a better option simply because it's roomier. If that doesn't apply, I'd choose the CT.

Plus, if you've already had the Prius experience, try something new.

·
380 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Heads up display
I can vouch for this as we have a 2014 Prius in addition to my 2011 CT. Very cool feature. How about the tech package in general. Even the base Prius gets a nice color screen, while I have a one line green LCD screen from the 70s. LOL

·
380 Posts
Heads up display, JBL sound system (which blows the CT sound system out of the water) and lane assist.

Honestly, I have the JBL in the Prius and prefer the 10 speaker in the CT.
That tiny sub does a decent job filling in the low end.
Neither are amazing, but I still prefer the CT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I average 40-42 mpg in my CT and with the Prius I average 50-52 mpg. "

Thank you for all the replies guys. I agree that the CT has so much more going for it from a nice feeling point of view. But I'm troubled by the above mpg comparisons. If we're talking similar engine and handling then why such a big difference?Are you a hard driver compared to your sister? I get 48-50 in my Prius at the moment and would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of that but not as much as the difference you're quoting.

The revelation about adaptive cruise control is a bit of a curve ball for me :smiley:

I've got a 2 day test drive booked for the beginning of Easter weekend which I'll make the most of. Wonder if I should do the same for the latest Prius to try out the new features added since I got my existing one?

·
Registered
990 Posts

Thank you for all the replies guys. I agree that the CT has so much more going for it from a nice feeling point of view. But I'm troubled by the above mpg comparisons. If we're talking similar engine and handling then why such a big difference?Are you a hard driver compared to your sister? I get 48-50 in my Prius at the moment and would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of that but not as much as the difference you're quoting.

The revelation about adaptive cruise control is a bit of a curve ball for me :smiley:

I've got a 2 day test drive booked for the beginning of Easter weekend which I'll make the most of. Wonder if I should do the same for the latest Prius to try out the new features added since I got my existing one?
The Prius was built for sheer function which is why the looks are severely lacking. The CT was built with luxury and looks in mind with fuel economy coming on 3rd. Handling doesn't affect mpg but looks do. The CT is also heavier if I'm not mistaken. I believe overall mpg on the CT is 42 according to the EPA estimates which IMO is right in line. Now some do average close to 50 in their CT but that is definitely not the norm.

·
Registered
251 Posts

if you worry about the mpg then stay with Prius :(

·
Registered
648 Posts
if you worry about the mpg then stay with Prius
I agree that the Prius will get better mpg due primarily to the better aerodynamics of the Prius body shape. However, my lifetime mpg on the CT is 46 (that includes averaging in winter driving) so I think that is still excellent.

·
380 Posts

aside from weighing less, the Prius is a wedge with a crazy low drag coefficient. It's function over form. Also, for what it's worth, I only get max 45 mpg out of my Prius, so the two are really close there.
For whatever reason, the CT still gives great mileage when you drive it hard. The Prius isn't as forgiving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, I think I may have realised what my problem is with the figures given here. I'm from the UK so possibly most if not all of you who have replied to this thread are based in the US where the gallon is 4/5ths the size of ours.

My 49 miles per gallon in the Prius translates to a poor 40 mpg stateside. If you're getting 50mpg then I would get an awesome 60 mpg here.

So, going back to the CT, if you're getting 42mpg then maybe I could get the 50 mpg I would want to achieve ? Its not that simple I know, because you guys have a lower national speed limit than we do I think.

I've modelled a lower UK mpg for the CT which while its not as good as the Prius, the profit I would make from business expenses is enough to give me the small bit of money I need to pay for my own personal iPhone every month.

If the test drive goes ok next weekend, I think I'll be going the CT route.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am getting about 42.5 mpg with my 2015 CT (750 miles only so far) during winter here in Wilmington Delaware, so it's not difficult for me to achieve 45+ mph when warm weather comes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts