Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we just purchased a new CT200 (July) at the Tempe Autoplex Lexus dealer. We love the car and one of the top reasons we purchased it was of course the fuel ecconomy. It's been hot and you need to run the air all the time. We are getting about 38/39 MPG on average. Just curious: are other Phoenix area owners getting about the same MPG's?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in Ottawa and it's not terribly hot but regardless I always have the AC on even when the window's open. I get anywhere between 37-41mpg. If I really push it, I can do 47mpg but that's no highway and consistent 40-50mph. You'll eventually realize that you save so much on gas (at least I did coming from a 3.7L AWD car) that I could do horrible mileage and it's still amazing on gas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mileage is highly dependent on the sort of driving you do. If you spend a lot of time on the freeway, mileage may not seem very good. But it's still excellent in relation to pretty much any other ICE car.

I do a lot of slow, urban driving and never drive on the freeway. In summer, I routinely achieve an average of 60 MPG. But, as they say, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, so it seems I'm in the ball park with this kind of mileage. I've read that as you break in the car the mileage should improve. I'll check back in with you when I'm not using the air conditioning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mileage will definitely improve as the mechanics get broken in. One thing that I have found is that the engine oil viscosity has a fairly significant impact on mileage. The Lexus dealers in my country all use 5W30 oil, whereas Lexus recommends 0W20. The 5W30 oil is much cheaper than 0W20, but the dealers still charge full price for a service. When I discovered this and found that dealers were not willing to use the oil recommended by Lexus, I decided to do my own oil changes. My average fuel economy improved about 6%.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have my 2015 CT since Nov 2014,,, made several trips from Phila PA to Detroit MI , fully loaded and at 70-75 mph and I always get 46-47 mpg, car has apprx 6K miles now

·
Banned
165 Posts
Mileage is highly dependent on the sort of driving you do. If you spend a lot of time on the freeway, mileage may not seem very good. But it's still excellent in relation to pretty much any other ICE car.

I do a lot of slow, urban driving and never drive on the freeway. In summer, I routinely achieve an average of 60 MPG. But, as they say, your mileage may vary.
Actually you get the best mileage on the freeway with no hills and no traffic.
If the road is flat and you can cruise between 45mph to 75 mph at a constant speed then you can get 50+ mpg. This is using the gas engine only.
Then if you are below 25-30 mph you can run electric only for a mile, but you want to try to coast as much as possible.

The worst mileage is between 30 mph to 40/45mph. If you drive on 30mph, 35mph, and 40 mph streets then there is no way to get good mileage. You will be at 30 mpg on those streets.

Last week I tried to get the maximum mpg on one tank. Highway (driving like an asshole at 65mph with semi's passing me) I got 50+ mpg, but I had a good amount of 35 mph roads, stop signs, and stop lights which brough down my average to 39 mpg.
That is the best average mpg I have ever gotten. It requires a lot of coasting and highway miles to achieve.

If you are at 80 to 85mph on a flat highway you can still get 38mpg.
At 65 mph on a flat highway you can get above 50 mpg.
It is the 30mph to 45 mph speeds that kills your mpg.

Watch the ECO gauge and try to find the lowest foot pressure on the gas that gives you the lowest on the ECO gauge and maintains your speed.
I wish they had a ECO cruise control option that did this automatically along with never using the brake to slow you if you go down hill like with normal cruise.

Im in Houston, TX.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mileage will definitely improve as the mechanics get broken in. One thing that I have found is that the engine oil viscosity has a fairly significant impact on mileage. The Lexus dealers in my country all use 5W30 oil, whereas Lexus recommends 0W20. The 5W30 oil is much cheaper than 0W20, but the dealers still charge full price for a service. When I discovered this and found that dealers were not willing to use the oil recommended by Lexus, I decided to do my own oil changes. My average fuel economy improved about 6%.

if the Lexus dealer goes against the wt of recommended viscosity 0W20 then I will NEVER use that service again. I think it's lesser a problem with Japanese engine than MB/BMW engine because using an incorrect oil wt COULD blow a head gasket in a long run

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to add that we took the car for a fairly long ride on the weekend and I tried to use a few fuel saving tips like staying around 65 and not accelerating to hard, well.......what a difference. I was still using the A/C but at one point I was at 51 MPG! The roads were fairly flat so that helped. Long story short, if you take it easy and tread lightly on the accelerator you can get great mileage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if the Lexus dealer goes against the wt of recommended viscosity 0W20 then I will NEVER use that service again.
Funny story. Because Lexus dealers here routinely refill with cheap 5W30 oil at 0W20 prices, I've been doing my own oil changes for the last few years. My CT is four years old now and had to go in for its first annual safety test this year. The test is only 20 euro if you have it done with a service. I decided to take it to the dealer where I bought it and have them to the test and service the car, but without fluids. They frowned upon that, but still remembered how I think about it and did it anyway. When they'd finished, I was informed there was no cost. Not for the service (which can't have been much work, but still) and neither for the test. Car was nicely detailed, too. They just seemed to be very glad I paid them a visit for the first time in two years.

The cars are just too good, customers are much better informed than they used to be and dealers are getting desperate. I predict it'll get worse for them. My next car will probably have a plug and won't ever need an oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts