Lexus CT200h Forums banner

CT ride quality??

Tags
quality ride
18K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  SID 
#1 ·
Current owners, how would you describe the ride? "Sporty" (i.e. you feel every bump in the road & it feels like you're bottoming out on potholes) or does it ride more like a traditional Lexus?

Reason I'm asking is that the CT looks very similar to the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe/Mazda 3, which all ride like a go kart over potholes. Hoping that the CT rides more like a car with some kind of suspension. :)

#2 ·
it is definitely not typical "Lexus" (ie. absorbs everything), but not too sporty as say a Mazda3. in the spectrum between the two, i would say it is closer to the sporty-side but i think the Yamaha dampeners do absorb some of the road. one thing that was more impressive than i expected for a car this size was the noise reduction - you still hear some road noise but probably mostly from the wheels. i think that level of noise reduction makes the ride "feel" quieter than it probably is....i DEFINITELY feel potholes so i avoid when at all possible.

#3 ·
Responders should specify rim size - since it will make a difference as to how the ride feels. I believe certain markets have a 15" rim option. In the US we only get 17" rims.

My 2 cents about the CT. It may be badged a Lexus but having owned several BMW's and Audi's I wouldn't say it rides like a "luxury" car or is built like a luxury car. Rides firm and is relatively noisy compared with other premium brands. I think the CT is a prime example of you get what you pay for - a good economical car at a reasonable price but not a premium luxury car.

I've also noticed the gaps on the body panels are not all even and the interior trim is a little cheap in the areas not in plain sight.

#5 ·
The body gaps are interesting. I think in order to keep the car light, they used different materials. If you notice, the hatch door and rear wraparound bumper is plastic, while the upper rear quarter panels are metal, which could account for some gap, especially in temperature extremes.

#7 ·
There must be some sort of plastic over the rear hatch. I can't affix magnets to the rear hatch like I could in the RX.

#8 ·
Darkride just said it was aluminum.. which isn't magnetic :D

About ride comfort: Got the 17" rims and must say as the above, its not a super smooth and quiet ride. The noise is a bit to high when comparing to other lexuses, but my toyota avensis was far more noisy than this is.

I like the comfort in the CT, it fits me like a glove, but you shouldnt expect a car where it feels like your driving a boat on the sea like many other lexuses.

The seats in the CT is absolutely great!

So its all up to the driver, go test it out at a local dealer and see if it fits your needs.

#9 ·
AHHHHHHHH. OMG. I am SUCH a n00b. Of course magnets don't stick to aluminum. WTF was I thinking...OH WAIT. I wasn't. LOL.

I stand corrected, maxa. --face plants--

The seats are definitely comfortable. Very supportive, actually.

#11 ·
So, I'm test driving a CT200h in UK for a couple of days, and there are many things I really like about it, in particular the seat comfort and steering wheel...and noise level when driving at low-medium speeds, However, I have 2 concerns which I'm looking for advice on....and as a noobie, apologies for the 101 questions.

1. Road noise on the motorway when doing 70mph....I assume this would be so over 70mph but of course that would be illegal in UK :).
2. I feel every medium sized bump and get thrown about a bit compared with my current 3 series tourer.

So, here's the question...the tyres/tires on this model are 215/45R17 87W. In UK there are options to have a 205/55R16 91V or 215/45R17. What's the view on whether these are likely to reduce road noise and/or increase stability??

#13 ·
So, I'm test driving a CT200h in UK for a couple of days, and there are many things I really like about it, in particular the seat comfort and steering wheel...and noise level when driving at low-medium speeds, However, I have 2 concerns which I'm looking for advice on....and as a noobie, apologies for the 101 questions.

1. Road noise on the motorway when doing 70mph....I assume this would be so over 70mph but of course that would be illegal in UK :).
2. I feel every medium sized bump and get thrown about a bit compared with my current 3 series tourer.

So, here's the question...the tyres/tires on this model are 215/45R17 87W. In UK there are options to have a 205/55R16 91V or 215/45R17. What's the view on whether these are likely to reduce road noise and/or increase stability??
Welcome to the forum.

Road noise is a bit of an issue and the thrashing of the 1.8L engine when accelerating hard. Having come from an IS250 this was one of the first things I noticed to be honest. However, you do soon get used to it as you drive past garage after garage and not needing to fill up, a small price to pay I feel. Also, a nudge of the volume control on the music system helps as well!

The wheels, yes the 17 inch versions are low profile and you do feel more bumps than normal, what I would say though is no more than any other car of it's size with low profile tyres on, again just adjust the driving style is what I would say. The 16 inch versions will give you slightly better fuel economy according to Lexus, but they look naff IMHO.

Hope this helps

#12 ·
My wife's car has 17" rims and I agree the ride is firm. More like a BMW than a Japanese sedan. However, I prefer the firmer ride.

I'm surprised about the noise level in general regardless of speed. I guess the lowest priced Lexus has to give up something and sound deadening is one of those things.

#14 ·
Just a little note, if you've not had a hybrid before, with the engine either off or running in a small rpm range, road noise can be more noticeable because the car runs more quietly. Still, I don't doubt there isn't as much sound deadening as in higher end models, both for price and weight reasons...

#15 ·
I find the comments about noise surprising. I run a GS300, 2003 model, and I thought (on an extended test drive of about 120 miles, some on motorway) that the CT was as quiet at 70 mph as the GS and far quieter around town.

I think, though, that if UK speed limits had allowed me to do 80 mph, I would have found the GS to be quieter :)

#16 ·
i drove the ES300 as a loaner while my CT200h was getting the remote start installed and the sound in the cabin was much quieter than my CT. compared to other compact cars like the Mazda 3 and VW Golf, the CT is quieter but don't even try to compare road noise in the CT to other Lexuses - it is night and day. the low-rolling-resistance tires as well as the 17" wheels mentioned above also contribute to this road noise. don't get me wrong, it's tolerable and better than you would expect for a car this size, but it is definitely noticeable.

#17 ·
sporty, but this car likes good road, otherwise you feel every small bump :(
they do some suspension tuning - body lateral dampers, some kind of sway bar but hydraulic (option on some markets, don't know about usa), some people write that it helps a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.