Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Jan. 2016 issue of Consumer Reports, the CT200h had the lowest score in the hybrids/electric cars category when asked if they would definitely buy the same car again. Remember that this is a objective survey polled from CT owners so I would think it is fairly accurate given the methodology is consistent across all cars, here is the list from the category that would buy again:

- Tesla Model S - 97%
- Toyota Prius - 83%
- Chevrolet Volt - 82%
- Toyota Prius V - 77%
- BMW i3 - 76%
- Nissan Leaf - 76%
- Toyota Prius C - 74%
- Ford C-Max - 74%
- Lexus CT200h - 63%

For me, I have the 2012 model year and the reason why I purchased it is because my employer had a great cash incentive for any employee who purchase a hybrid/electric vehicle. I looked at all available cars in that category at that time and the CT was the best fit and value. Without the incentive, the CT would be off the list of new car purchase. I do a lot of research before I purchase anything and the CT's value/performance proposition at the current price is poor. Would I purchase this car again? Without employer incentive, that would be a definite no, there are a lot of other choices out there in the mid-30's that I could think of that I rather consider. With employer incentive, it would be a maybe, since there are more choices now than 4 years ago.

Would be curious how owners on this forum would answer given the same question.

At least CR reports the CT is still one of the most reliable cars out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a lot of variables here. Would I buy it again if I got an equally good deal and my life situation, needs, and desires were the same next time? Sure.

I would by no means pay full price for this car. I got a 1 year old model with comparable features for less than the cost of a new fully loaded Prius and its more fun to drive. If I had kids I wouldn't get something with such a small back seat. If I didnt live in Hawaii and could actually take a road trip, I would probably get something more comfortable like the NX hybrid.

For me, it was the right car at the right time at the right price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, remember it is a Lexus. People associate Lexus with near perfect luxury and features. Let's face it, this car does have some shortcomings and believe me I love mine. One of its major flaws is the road/wind noise that intrudes the cabin. Another is the ride, some think is firm and sporty while others see it as too rough.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've only had mine for just shy of 4 months (although I have put 12,000 km/ 7,456 miles).
I came from a 06 Prius with 310,000 kms (192,625 miles), and only thing I had to do to that car was fuel and oil changes (oh and a set of tires and brakes).
It's the main car in my household, so I wanted that same reliability again, but, I'm not that into the new Prius' style, or interior.
When I saw a CT200h pass me, I knew that I had to check it out.

It's such an upgrade over both the current and old Prius, while still being as reliable, and getting the same millage as my 06 Prius did.

I would have no problem buying this car again.

Now, I do have a 2015 model, so perhaps compared to most of the people who were surveyed have the 11-13 models. I can't speak for sure, but I do know they made a lot of improvements for the 14+ models.
Perhaps, if they had done those improvements from the start, there would be a higher satisfaction rate.

I think my only complaint with the car is the lack of thought put into the trunk area.
In the 2nd gen Prius, the rear floor lifted, and had a prop rod to hold it up. Under there, you had a plastic storage area where you could store items, and if you needed to access them, the rod held the floor up out of the way. The CT lacks both the prop rod and a real storage area. That foam thing they give you is useless. Doesn't even have any depth to it.

I bought mine from a dealer who seems to do a lot of 1 year leases. My car was put into service in Sept 14, and I purchased it Aug 15, with very low kms on it. It has every option available to Canada, minus the F sport. I got this car for an amazing price, and with that in mind, I'd purchase this car again without a 2nd thought.

·
381 Posts
My wife and I both totally love the CT. Compared to the Prius, it's a far more engaging car to drive. The Prius is very numb overall.
That being said, if the CT had a little more room in the back seat and the cargo space was a little bigger, we wouldn't need something like the Prius.
We're both looking at possibly doing the NX when it's time for the Prius to go.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Infected wrote:
Now, I do have a 2015 model, so perhaps compared to most of the people who were surveyed have the 11-13 models. I can't speak for sure, but I do know they made a lot of improvements for the 14+ models.
Perhaps, if they had done those improvements from the start, there would be a higher satisfaction rate.
[/QUOTE]

I believe you are correct. I had a 2015 Prius C from the rental car company during a business trip and even that model was quieter than my 2012 CT, the ride seemed less jarring and the engine was not as noisy and shaky under hard acceleration so seemed like there was a improvement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must be the exception because I liked my 2013 but am less impressed with my 2015 CT200h. I did buy the same car, but I was running out of time and miles, so I won't do that again. I may stay in the Lexus family, but I'm done with the CT. They just aren't fun to drive and don't even feel luxurious. It's not quite Corolla quality, but it certainly doesn't feel like other Lexuses that I've driven. I am hoping that the 2016 and future CTs feel like the luxury cars that they are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I must be the exception because I liked my 2013 but am less impressed with my 2015 CT200h. I did buy the same car, but I was running out of time and miles, so I won't do that again. I may stay in the Lexus family, but I'm done with the CT. They just aren't fun to drive and don't even feel luxurious. It's not quite Corolla quality, but it certainly doesn't feel like other Lexuses that I've driven. I am hoping that the 2016 and future CTs feel like the luxury cars that they are.
You would definitely be the exception.
What is it you don't like about the 15's?
They are virtually the same car, aside from the more ridged chassis, sound proofing and the front bumper that is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would definitely be the exception.
What is it you don't like about the 15's?
They are virtually the same car, aside from the more ridged chassis, sound proofing and the front bumper that is.
It's trivial, but I hate the new interface in the navigation screen, and the buttons (Home, etc.) and the new mouse controller. So, basically, all of my problems are with the user interface of the nav screen. Haha. Otherwise, my '15 feels just like my '13 did in terms of driving it, maybe a touch stiffer (but that's a good thing).

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's trivial, but I hate the new interface in the navigation screen, and the buttons (Home, etc.) and the new mouse controller. So, basically, all of my problems are with the user interface of the nav screen. Haha. Otherwise, my '15 feels just like my '13 did in terms of driving it, maybe a touch stiffer (but that's a good thing).
I can't compare the old nav vs the new, as I've only had the '15.
I do like the user interface in the car though. I have seen videos when reviewing the car before purchase of the older nav setup. I don't like the screen folding, and I think the interface looked very dated, even by 2011 standards.
My only complaints are:
I get the menu and home button reverse.
And I'd like to see the back button on the side still, as I know the older cars had that.

Perhaps the touch stiffer suspension is just due to not having as much wear yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had a 2012 Prius 4 that when I found out came with TRD kit and factory lowering springs. It's super great on gas. But the ride was ridiculously horrible, the seats were more like they were designed for a really wide person. I drove 6hrs on a trip and having low back pain. It wasn't a fun trip at all.

So after a year of owning the Prius. I finally found a 2012 CT200H, Fire Agate Pearl with caramel interior, that I wanted at first but couldn't find any 200 miles away. The drive is nicer, quieter in the cabin, less MPG than the Prius but over all its okay. The seats are more comfortable, took it on a 6hr trip and I had no lower back pain. It finally snowed last night, 8" of wet snow. Got stuck a few times, trying to figure out how to turn off the TCS finally got it off a different website. Would I buy it again? Definitely not for the price for a new/used it could be better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the latest model CT, and it's a fantastic car. However I am considering getting a different hybrid. Main complaint of the CT is the power. Not bad, but could be better. The 2.5 vs the 1.8 hybrid still gets 40mpg. Gas is around $2 gallon, so upgrading looks attractive..

I'm talking about the 2014-15 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. Lexus luxury at a (relatively) Toyota price.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought CT200h because I wanted hybrid as my next car. I had few criterias for it: Good safety ratings, Low usage of fuel (because fuel is expensive as hell in here) and low CO2 levels because of high pollution taxes based on CO2 level of car. Only high level thing which was allowed was its coolness for outside. 8)

Tested few options but this was only car which could reach all my main criterias. It is true that this car is not as luxury as you would think from inside. Many European manufacturer has really good looking interiors with excellent information systems built-in with free built-in Navigator (here it costs extra and I can use mobile phone's Navigator if needed), but for me those were ugly as hell from outside or taxes which I am willing to pay yearly were too high. Even Lexus is not known here in Finland, its owner's Toyota's cars are very well known for their quality and realiability for climate we have in Finland. I expect worriless years from this car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my 2013 used, 23K miles, at a price which was a few thousand USD less than a new Honda suv. Frankly I bought it because of looks and the gas economy. A major concern was making a freeway commute from the East Bay (SF) to San Jose and have found that I can get 41mpg if I drive it like a little old man. And 36mpg if I'm in my usual lead foot mode. It does have some quirks that I'm sure I'll adjust to if I can get a few days free to read the manual. The biggest issue is that I should have bought it from a Lexus dealer instead of the subaru dealership where I found it. Biggest problem to date is that the passenger side window got blown in while on a commute at night. Dealing with insurance was an adventure but all turned out well in the end other than being restricted in what I could do for 10 days.

Would I buy another? I'm not sure yet. But I wouldn't want to pay the full asking price. As it was I paid 2/3 of new for it having 23K miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had '13 ct200h, which I just returned in January as the lease expired, after 25k miles. Lexus offered me $5500 off if I leased/purchased another, but I decided to go in another direction and got a '16 Volt. So, I guess the survey may be fairly correct in my case. I enjoyed the Lexus, but babying the throttle in order to get my 45mpg, according to Fuelly, was getting old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts