Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several comments about the CT not being the car of choice for long trips.

I am planning on driving my CT on long trips. TX to the mountains of NC a couple of times a year. My RX can guzzle $400 in gas on that round trip so to my way of thinking, this trip is key in my decision to purchase a CT.

I very much enjoyed my test drives. I had an infinity FX that I couldn't stand to drive. I felt like the car was driving me. I pulled up to a stop light and the thing felt like an over excited race horse, straining to escape from behind the gate.

Given that I'm not appropriately impressed with "power" :p, I'm hoping the CT will be fine for me on trips. I am concerned with three things:

* comfort level on long trips
* enough power to pass with
* mountain grades (although the grades are gradual and my son's civic handles them with no complaints)

Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
just depends on what you're coming from. I loved driving my smart car around town, got 40mpg and was easy to drive in traffic, but was definately not a good road car. I got the CT only because it is very comfortable on the highway, plus gets better milage. Horsepower is overrated, after you've had your fill of driving fast the CT is all you need. The CT has a sport mode if you need it , but I've not tried it yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agreed with kurt013. The Ct have great sport seat with lumbar support so the long trips should be fine. I had Porsche and BMW's and drove them fast the last 30yrs. I tested drove a CT back in March and was hooked! It have enough power in sport mode and handled pretty well in my opinion. With gas going up and trying to be ECO friendly, I ordered my Smoky Granite Mica with/Nav in end of March and just picked up my car last Sunday. Imagine, I traded in my IS 250 for the Ct.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have not received my CT yet, so I can't provide any personal experience yet with regard to long trips. However, one of the primary reasons I am purchasing the CT is road trips. My wife and I are planning to do a lot of traveling over the next several years and I wanted something with good mileage, driving comfort and still a bit of sport and style. I had looked at other hybrids, but none seemed to fit the bill until the CT came along. I have taken several test drives and Feel confident that the CT is what I'm after.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the longest road trip i have done is from Northern NJ (NYC area) to Philly suburbs (~250 miles total roundtrip) with my family of 4 (granted two are are still in booster seats in the back so there is plenty of room for them!). the trip was perfectly fine but since it was a one day trip there was no need for luggage etc - just a snack bag.

i only used ~2/3 tank of gas on the whole trip which ~5-6 gallons.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Just came back from New Hampshire (300 miles each way) drove the Kangamagus, over the White Mountains, several times back and forth over a week.

Gas mileage varied over the week from a high of 46 to a low of 40 mpg (US) checked after each fill up.

On long continuous uphill grades, over the pass, the droning is a pain and lack of power for passing is a bummer.

Glad to get back to my BMW !!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
"On long continuous uphill grades" will the CT behave like the Prius or will it be inferior to the Prius ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need more cargo space

We LOVE our CT but need more cargo space for long trips-fl to tn and fl to ny. Even goin to Costco and the outlets o we have to do some creative packing. Thinking about new Ford Explorer-(as 2nd car)

Also my hubby has long legs and even though ct seats are comfortable we dont know what a 15 hr travel would be like. Any exp or thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The longest road trips I do before actually just electing to fly (southwest is so cheap these days) is 6 hours from Phoenix to LA. I do the drive several times a year and while I have not gotten my CT yet (1 more week!) Ive done the drive in a Prius, A Sentra, an Acura TL, a Sion, Minivans of different sizes... its all the same thing. Once youre at your cruising speed it all comes down to interior comfort and from what I know of Lexus and what I experienced with the CT, its not going to be a problem. the only issue i see having with long trips in the CT is that armrest.. Its just so far back and the hard plastic on the cup holders got uncomfortable even after the 10 minute test drive in the demo.

I did get the CT up to 75 on the test drive and when I tried to pass someone I found it had enough mid range torque to get the job done.

Of course a lot depends on you. Your weight, height. Your ability to sit in one place without having issues..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, does anyone have experience driving to Vegas from Los Angeles in their CT? I find that in a Prius trying to maintain 65 mph during the long uphill grades is a strain on the car. I'm assuming the CT is the same way. You might even have to jump in the truck lane. LOL!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it really so bad when going uphill. I live in Toronto, it is flat around here but if I decide to take a trip to the US of A, will I regret it ???

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is it really so bad when going uphill. I live in Toronto, it is flat around here but if I decide to take a trip to the US of A, will I regret it ???
Regret it? Of course .. what good can possibly come from going to the USA? ;)

Although you will be leaving Toronto ... so it's not all bad :D

(YOW puts on flame proof vest)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Anyone take their CTs on long road trip, something roughly 8-9 hours of continuous driving? Deciding whether I should take the CT or other gas guzzling vehicle. I would assume there should be no problem on engine going 120KPH(75MPH) for that long, I've had vehicle for 3 months.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
CT - torque

Anyone take their CTs on long road trip, something roughly 8-9 hours of continuous driving? Deciding whether I should take the CT or other gas guzzling vehicle. I would assume there should be no problem on engine going 120KPH(75MPH) for that long, I've had vehicle for 3 months.
I have taken a 2010 Prius V on trips that long with no problems and plan to do the same with my CT. As far as not having enough power to pass; I think the horspower figures are overrated. The electric provides very nice torque boost for passing. The Prius has plenty of power so I don't see why the CT wouldn't

Gas Motor:

1.8 Liter Aluminum DOHC 16-Valve Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), 98 hp @ 5200 rpm (73 kW @ 5200 rpm), 105 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm (142 N•m @ 4000 rpm)

Electric Motor:

80 hp (60 kW)
153 lb.-ft. (207 N•m)

When you add 105 lb-ft and 153 lb-ft assuming linear adding = 258 lb-ft, that is significant amount of torque. Obviously it is not completely linear because 98 hp + 80 hp would be 178 hp and it is only rated at 134 hp, but then again Lexus calls it a CT200h with there designation meaning it is equivalent to a 2.0 liter engine.

...and the electric torque boost is instantaneous!

The CT is a great CAR!!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I really don't see an issue with it. Look at how much $ you will save in gas if you do! How many miles/km's do you have on it? Unfortunately, I am racking up the miles TOO quickly in this car. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts