Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All cars drop in fuel economy during winter months, but my CT really dropped with this last cold front. My mileage is consistently 43 mpg. In freezing temps, I'm averaging 38 mpg. I noticed much less EV driving as well. I suspect the hybrid battery loses juice when cold (my car is parked outside). Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Winter fuel blend, ICE running more to supply heat, etc. Your mpg #'s match mine; this will be our 3rd winter with almost 50,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had been getting a steady 48 mpg average - by calculation, not by the silly meter on the dashboard, which is consistently 3 - 4 mpg high. Since the cold snap started, I am now getting 43 mpg. I am also noticing that it won't switch to EV mode as often, even though the dash shows that the battery is nearly fully charged. That is very frustrating, affecting my gas mileage, and I was going to take it in to the dealer and see if there was something wrong with the switching sensor. But ---- you guys are experiencing the same thing? Hmmmm must be normal, or we're all suffering from the same problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winter gas formulation is less efficient. Also the gas motor runs more to generate heat for the cabin. I also think the hybrid battery has less voltage when cold assuming your vehicle isn't garage kept. Also accessories like the seat heaters use up a lot of juice and force the gas motor to run more to keep the electrical system charged. All factors in lowering mileage.

·
Registered
990 Posts
All cars drop in fuel economy during winter months, but my CT really dropped with this last cold front. My mileage is consistently 43 mpg. In freezing temps, I'm averaging 38 mpg. I noticed much less EV driving as well. I suspect the hybrid battery loses juice when cold (my car is parked outside). Any other thoughts?
My results are almost identical to yours. I noticed this last winter too. I went from 41-42 mpg to 36-38 in the matter of a month. It all started during my first November fillup. I'm not sure when winter blend is rolled out in the midwest but this is what caused it for sure. The temperature effects it alittle but not as much as the gas itself. We had a few 50 degree days already which is unusually high and I still could not get over 40 mpg.

·
Registered
680 Posts
All cars seem to lose about 10% mileage in the winter. If you have a 20 mpg truck, then that's only 2 mpg. If you have a 43 mpg car, then that's 4.3 mpg. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think it's mostly due to the winter blend. We have it and it's been warm so no loss of mpg. But when it's cold, the ic engine runs a lot more to warm up. I think this explains more of the loss (and the inefficiency when running cooler for longer).

Most of my trips are short... if you warm up and get on the highway, then reset the guage, what do you see? I suspect not much lower mpg than you are used to.

I'll play that game this weekend, maybe... Will be below freezing, here!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My freeway mileage is worse when freezing even after the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why don't you all come to sunny Australia? It's summer here right now and the days are usually around 30 degrees and sometimes over 40 (centigrade). But then you have to use the air-conditioning and there goes the fuel economy again.

·
Registered
680 Posts
But then you have to use the air-conditioning and there goes the fuel economy again.
I don't see that in my car, I am amazed by the efficiency of the CT air conditioning system. Even in the hottest days of summer I don't see much if any decrease in gas mileage when I use the AC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suspect the hybrid battery loses juice when cold (my car is parked outside). Any other thoughts?
As long as the 12v battery has enough power to trigger the car's computer the hybrid battery makes starting the car on a cold morning a snap. This morning it was -29C (-20F) and the engine turned over instantly. Having an engine block heater certainly helps in this climate,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the same drop in MPG on my 2013 CT200. I live outside of Philadelphia and saw MPG drop from 44 to about 35. I must say I am not pleased.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just filled up the car after a ten day period when the temperature never got above -19C (-2F) and the overnight low reached -37C (-35F). I got an actual (i.e., calculated) 8.6 L/100 km (27.4 mpg US). Virtually all my driving was short trips in town, so, not surprisingly, the ICE never shut down.

Under the same conditions my HS250h got around 10 L/100 km (23.5 mpg US) so I'm not complaining too loudly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My mileage in normal (warmer) weather has been 48 mpg (by calculation) with a high of 53.5. Since the cold snap, I have been driving the same way, but mileage has dropped to 41, and I have struggled to keep it at that. This is a drop of nearly 10 mpg or 20%. That's HUGE. I check the battery meter and it shows as FULL all the time. OK, I get that it wants to run more in the winter, but if the battery is fully charged, then what's the deal. I was going to go into the dealership to talk to them about it, but with you guys saying the same, maybe I should call the Lexus Zone Office. This might be a design issue. It certainly doesn't get this cold in Japan, and maybe the Japanese engineers haven't paid any attention to how the system runs when it gets below 20 degrees F.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My mileage in normal (warmer) weather has been 48 mpg (by calculation) with a high of 53.5. Since the cold snap, I have been driving the same way, but mileage has dropped to 41, and I have struggled to keep it at that. This is a drop of nearly 10 mpg or 20%. That's HUGE. I check the battery meter and it shows as FULL all the time. OK, I get that it wants to run more in the winter, but if the battery is fully charged, then what's the deal. I was going to go into the dealership to talk to them about it, but with you guys saying the same, maybe I should call the Lexus Zone Office. This might be a design issue. It certainly doesn't get this cold in Japan, and maybe the Japanese engineers haven't paid any attention to how the system runs when it gets below 20 degrees F.
After building Prius for 16 years and selling over 3 million, i've got a suspicion that the Japanese engineers know most things about how the Prius/CT hybrid system runs when it gets below 20 degrees F. or above or below any other temperature for that matter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've only had my car since the beginning of November, and it got cold here in Maine really fast! I've filled up 5 times since purchase, and my mileage according to Fuelly is:
11/5 - 44.5mpg
11/11 - 42.0mpg
11/23 - 40.5mpg
12/6 - 42.2mpg
12/24 - 42.0mpg

In other words, I haven't seen any change at all. Essentially 42mpg according to Fuelly and 45mpg according to the car's computer. It's a shame Fuelly doesn't show all CT200h seasonally so you can see how the mileage varies, in aggregate. You have to look at cars individually. So, just clicking on random cars, and I don't see any variation. Then again, I need to find drivers not in California!

My only other thought is that as it gets colder, the air pressure in your tires drop. Perhaps, if you're showing a big drop in mileage due to the cold, your air pressure needs topping up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm really looking forward to increased mileage as we approach spring/summer. Even with the little warm up so far, my mpg has improved. With a bit over 200 miles on the current tank I'm getting about 47-48 mpg I figure since the readout shows 50. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
i live in canada so it's cold here, -10C or lower with windchill

i find that i need at least 5 mins of driving before i can use EV mode. i guess it has to do with warming up the system

i also find that after a cold start, if you turn the heat on (i set to auto temperature for now), for the first 5 mins of driving, if i come to a stop at a red traffic light, the MPG meter drops down to zero....or if you use the metric units, the bar is full. maybe it has to do with the hybrid sytem having to warm up first, but i wonder if that affects the overall MPG averages.

EDIT: just tested, ya it does suck up gas like no tomorrow if you turn on the heat at cold start, once u get the battery engine running it will start share the load burden, but your battery will drain very quickly especially if you are idle on the street without any kinetic energy to recharge the battery. however, if you turn on the windshield defroster, it also sucks up gas like no tomorrow as well.

drove the car for a week in the cold, maybe drove for about 125 miles. average MPG is about 41.x

·
Registered
246 Posts
just took my car to drive on friday nite randomly for an hour for about 60-70 miles just to see how the MPG fares. tried both highway (~60mph) and street driving (~45mpg or less, with quite a bit of traffic lights). outside temperature is freezing point so it's a bit warmer than what i have been used to this week (0C/32F) and there is no ice or snow on the roads. driving under a mix of sports and ECO mode, heating and radio is turned off

i was able to achieve over 50MPG (and over 60MPG as i approached home slowly on battery/EV mode), except at the beginning when i had a cold startup and the car refuses to use battery until the system gets warmed up after 5-10 mins so it's eating up gas alot. the MPG at startup is horrible but once i got the car running smoothly after 10 mins, the MPG increases dramatically. this may explain why people get better MPGs in the summer: outside temperature when the car starts up is higher. anyways just my $0.02 i can be wrong.....and its not much we can do about the cold temperature anyways when we turn the car on

1 - 20 of 43 Posts