Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am really hoping that someone can possibly diagnose this issue. I have paid lexus three times over for diagnostic charges yet at this point I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Take car to dealer, tech rides with me...noise fires off, then I get a call that another tech worked on the car and the noise did not appear. I am unsure if it is truly coming from the air vent yet that seems to be the area at least. This is on the driver side. I will admit that now and then it does go into hiding and then and seems to pop back up every other day. It is driving me nuts. Any advice would be appreciated.. at this point I truly do not know where to turn.

Thanks for checking out the video, the link is below. You may have to turn your sound up pretty loud to hear it.. The recording is not the best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a similar sound. It's either stuff rattling in your glove box, or your passenger seat.

empty your glove box, and push on the passenger seat (or headrest). Is it still happening?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding. This video was shot with an empty glove box, and I don't believe it is the seat (passenger). The rattle I am speaking of is to the left if you are in the driver seat. It is near the air vent closest to the drivers door or in that proximity. I positioned the passenger seat in different settings yet it did nothing to stop the noise. I am positive its not coming form the right side and traveling over. Thanks for the ideas though!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I experienced an annoying clicking sound coming from that area too. I tried all sorts of sound dampening tricks but nothing seemed to matter. The sound seemed to disappear when I replaced the original tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, this might not be your solution for you but worth a shot -- I had some rattle noises and it turned out it was coming from the rear seats -- I had put them both down and put them back upright. Pushing them wasn't enough - I had to give it some pressure (almost like slamming a door). It happened again, and by pulling on the rear headrest the rear seats would fold down, so it just seemed like it was latched in. Regardless, hope you find the source!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also experience similar rattling sounds that seem like they come from the dash, but end up being stuff that I have that's either in the cup holders on the center console or the pockets on the doors. In my case, it's usually a cheap plastic water bottle that rubs up against something that makes that rattle sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure out what this noise was? We have the same thing coming from our center console. My wife thought it was some kind of electrical static noise and it was quite alarming, but diagnosing the problem it seems to be something inside the heater or vents rattling around. The higher the fan speed, the louder the rattle and I even see little pellets flying out. It started at the end of last winter, we didn't notice it all year, but not that it's gone below freezing here in MN the sound has come back.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting that. Has anything got in to the fan assembly from outside?
Maybe through the scuttle panel vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking along those lines, I started pulling the dash apart from the passenger side and found the cover plate by the passengers feet to have been kicked out of place. Moving that around, little pebbles and what look like tiny seeds started falling out. After clearing all of that debris out the sound is gone.

This sound was EXACTLY like what the initial poster had in their video.

Not sure how the stuff got in there in the first place, it sure seems like an animal stored some birdseed in there.... but I'm guessing what was once coming from the center console and blowing debris out of the middle, had some thing pushed through the system and got stuck below the glovebox without enough pressure to force it up out of the vent.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have read on the Prius forum about mice getting in to some people's car through the front vents but I'm not sure if it's possible on the CT?
Glad your noise is gone now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts