Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i actually don't get consumer reports but apparently CNNMoney reports that the CT200h was rated their most reliable vehicle:

Toyota's Lexus CT 200h hybrid was the most reliable vehicle of all, Consumer Reports said. On average, Asian automakers continue to make the most reliable cars, the magazine said.
If anyone has the entire Consumer Reports article, that would be cool to share snippets (without violating Copyright laws of course).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, it's a little too early to determine reliability since I've only had my CT for 2 weeks.
However, I have no doubt it will be way superior to my 2003 Mini Cooper S. Absolutely love the car so far; only complaint would be with the sound system.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
i actually don't get consumer reports but apparently CNNMoney reports that the CT200h was rated their most reliable vehicle:

If anyone has the entire Consumer Reports article, that would be cool to share snippets (without violating Copyright laws of course).
Survey sample must have been small since shipments have been held up for months!

I never received a survey and I don't subscribe to consumer reports.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Survey sample must have been small since shipments have been held up for months!

I never received a survey and I don't subscribe to consumer reports.
yeah - i was surprised it would even be in the running considering it is a new model. They often will give a "not assessable at this time" for such vehicles so i found it a bit strange - having said that, in the 6 months i have had the car, it has been reliable for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did include my CT when I responded to the survey. It was very new, so I had no problems to report. Only CR subscribers receive the survey. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Of the 17 cars listed:

8 Toyota (Lexus/Scion)
1 Mazda
1 Ford
3 Honda
3 Nissan
1 Chrysler (Dodge)

15 Japanese
2 American
0 German

And shockingly enough, both pickup trucks were Japanese too!

My money (literally) is on Toyota/Lexus, looks good to me!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Several issues ago, they reviewed the CT and didn't recommend it yet because there was not enough reliability data. Interesting that a few months is enough data.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Which issue of CR? I subscribe to it on my iPad.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After 7 months of owning my CT200h it is flawless. The only thing I notice is if I switch from SAT to an FM or AM station the sound volume blows you out. SAT needs around volume 30 while over the air stations are volume 15-16. Watch your ear drums.
As far a Consumer Reports go I think it is a dinosaur regarding information. Technology changes so fast they are way behind the curve with their recommendations. By the time they review something the model is probably discontinued. Also I have always wondered how truly unbiased they really are.
Plus they are one of the few web sites that you cannot enter unless you pay. They could make a lot more money by making their web site free and selling advertising space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far a Consumer Reports go I think it is a dinosaur regarding information. Technology changes so fast they are way behind the curve with their recommendations. By the time they review something the model is probably discontinued. Also I have always wondered how truly unbiased they really are.

Plus they are one of the few web sites that you cannot enter unless you pay. They could make a lot more money by making their web site free and selling advertising space.
I've been subscribing to Consumer Reports off and on since the sixties, mostly on. (The magazine actually goes back to the thirties.) They have always been dinosaurs, at least partly because they devise their own tests, which means that their answers are only as clever as their ability to pose questions.

One reason it takes so long for them to do reviews is that they buy products at retail, from sellers who have no idea that the customer is connected to Consumer Reports. They don't just do a "push all the buttons, play it with it for a couple of days" reviews. They try to simulate conditions over long periods of time, which in itself takes time. So yeah, staying current is hard.

That's why I agree with others who observe that this seems out of character for them. I haven't gotten the latest issue yet, but how long can they have had the car? And how reliable could any size customer sample be when asking about the reliability of a car that most people have had less than six months? (For me, for the first 2000 miles: Thumbs Up! But c'mon....)

Overall though, I completely support their approach, and feel like whatever else their flaws, their objectivity is hard to argue. They don't take anything from anyone: no free gear, no advertising, no help from manufacturers -- nothing at all that isn't exactly what any other paying customer would experience.

Most of what they make is from subscribers, based on the trust that subscribers have in them. Indeed, the magazine is published by Consumers Union, a non-profit organization. If the magazine loses the trust of its subscribers, it has no advertiser money to fall back on. It just goes away.

Sorry for the lengthy digression. They've annoyed me enough that I've stopped subscribing more than once, but they keep saving me often enough that I've always come back.....and if they like the CT 200h, well, that certainly lines up with my own experience. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got the CR magazine today. Excerpt:

"BIG DEBUT The Lexus CT 200h is the most reliable new car in our survey" ;)

As far as the data, they need a minimum of 100 survey responses.
Practically every Lexus and/or Toyota in its respective class is at (or near) the top in their category.

As usual, the European brands are among the least reliable with VW (16th), Benz (18th), BMW (19th), and at the bottom Audi (26th), Porsche (27th), Jag (28th last).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good to know the CT is in such good company. I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports doesn't accept or do any advertising for any consumer products as it could infer bias or favoritism and get awkward when then negatively review a potentially paying product or company. So they have to get their money from subscribers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Got the CR magazine today. Excerpt:

"BIG DEBUT The Lexus CT 200h is the most reliable new car in our survey" ;)

As far as the data, they need a minimum of 100 survey responses.
Practically every Lexus and/or Toyota in its respective class is at (or near) the top in their category.

As usual, the European brands are among the least reliable with VW (16th), Benz (18th), BMW (19th), and at the bottom Audi (26th), Porsche (27th), Jag (28th last).
That's something that's echoed in the JD Power survey that Top Gear used to run over here and seems to have been adopted by What Car :
JD Power Survey 2011 - The best and worst... - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?
"Another year, another victory for Lexus"

Helped make my mind up :D

Curious to see what the results of that survey will be next year, those results are from May 2011 so that time next year ... By the way, Prius was 2nd behind the Honda Accord in the Family Car section. Or maybe not next year for the CT, the cars in those results seem to be 07, 57, 08, 59 UK plates with the report saying they were registered between Jan 08 and Dec 09.

Good to see Lexus & Toyota having 4 of the top 6 results in that survey.

PS Nothing's broken on my CT yet, although they did have to replace the passenger side door handle thing.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Copyright Violation ?

Here's a link to the CR table of "Best Cars", ranked by predicted reliability. The CT200h is listed as Lexus' "Best" model. :) 2011 Annual Car Reliability Survey: Best and worst vehicles by brand
I know you were just trying to be nice by providing requested information, but you might want to be careful about reproducing the Consumers Report link because you are violating the copyright law unless you received written permission from Consumers Union of U.S., Inc.

Copyright © 2004-2011 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Eh, if they post it on the web it's their fault. Not anyone who links to it.

Usually it's illegal to copy pieces of the article and post those pieces for your own use, but it's not at all illegal to link to it.

Heck, google links to it (that's how I found it originally). Nothing illegal about that.

If they want to password protect that page for subscribers only, fine, but they haven't done that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eh, if they post it on the web it's their fault. Not anyone who links to it.

Usually it's illegal to copy pieces of the article and post those pieces for your own use, but it's not at all illegal to link to it.

Heck, google links to it (that's how I found it originally). Nothing illegal about that.

If they want to password protect that page for subscribers only, fine, but they haven't done that.
I agree. Providing links is not illegal at all. Most website including Autoblog and autospies provide links here and there. Now, it would be illegal if the whole article is posted on here without the CR's consent.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know you were just trying to be nice by providing requested information, but you might want to be careful about reproducing the Consumers Report link because you are violating the copyright law unless you received written permission from Consumers Union of U.S., Inc.

Copyright © 2004-2011 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission.
[/QUOTE

Are you spreading FUD?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts

Are you spreading FUD?
No kidding.

Midcow - I recall you are retired, are you a former attorney and is that really TRUE?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts