Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit bored with all the reviews on the CT200h that compare the car to the BMW 1 Series and the Audi A3 or even the Volvo C30. Granted these are all "Premium Hatch Backs" but the Lexus is more than just a Premium Hatch Back. The main reason I chose the CT200h was because I wanted a greener car with good MPG and cleaner than all those nasty diesel engines that still put high levels of NOx (Nitrogen Oxide, the stuff that really hurts us humans) into the atmosphere.

Where I live electric cars still are not practical with their range issues, so Hybrid is the way to go for now.

In South Africa we have a number of hybrids available (We don't have the Ford C-MAX). The ones that peaked my interest where the Honda CR-Z, the Toyota Auris Hybrid and the Lexus CT200h which I chose because of its drive quality, luxury, service and proven power train.

But what do you think in the US you can get a Ford C-MAX fully kitted and a Honda CR-Z fully kitted for a price similar to a base Lexus CT200h are these cars worth comparing? Is the CT200h the way to go (I thought so).

I would love to hear your thoughts...

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my mind, if its between the CR-Z or CT200h, I'd go with the CT if cost wasn't a factor. They're fairly similar in characteristic and I prefer the Lexus brand and interior. However, if I were younger, I might go with the CR-Z for the manual transmission.

A friend of mine just bought the C-Max Energi. If it were in a different body, say... a Focus, I would have considered it. C-Max is a plug in hybrid and can operate as a pure electric for 20 miles with speeds up to 75 MPH. Our CTs can operate up to 25 on limited acceleration and for maybe half a mile before the engine kicks in. As it is though, I can't stand the C-Max's looks. Come to think of it, I most likely would still have chosen Lexus over a Focus Energi.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Another thing to consider, the CR-Z is a two seater here in the USA.

According to Fuelly.com, both the C-Max and the CR-Z is averaging just under 40 mpg, while the C-Max Energi (plug in hybrid) is getting just under 70 mpg.

My real world mpg is just under 50, so real world numbers matter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I test drove the CR-Z when I was shopping around. The CR-Z interested me as my previous car was a first generation Honda Insight. However, the CR-Z just isn't a good car. It gets poor gas mileage for a small 2 seat car, and isn't as fast feeling as the old CRX was. The blind spots in the back were horrible! On the plus side I love how they look, the stick shift is fun, and the sound system is good. But there just isn't enough value there for the price. The IMA system in general is way outdated and is being replaced by a system similar to Toyota's in Honda's new cars.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I considered the CR-Z when looking at CT and Prius. Conclusion - too slow. Yep, same pace as CT/Prius but those are comfy cars, this was a sports coupe. And it's too slow to accept the compromises that come with sports coupes. However ... all this was academic, despite going into the local Honda garage in work Stuff (suit+tie = money), they weren't interested in talking to me at all, let alone the car ! And as I consider the attitude of the garage to be almost as important as how good the car is, Lexus won hands down.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Like leonard40, I previously had CRXs , both HF and Si and the CR-Z is nowhere close in drive and feel. The HF good, good mileage and was fun, but the Si was a blast and still got 36 mpg. The CRZ as a hybrid only getting 37 mpg highway is a joke. Ford has come a long, long way. The Focus Hatchback is very, very close in size and dimensions to the CT200h; in fact the hatch area is larger. If you don't like the c-MAX looks I understand. I have looked before at the Golf TDI and the A3 TDI, and liked both, but never could get over the VW reliability issues. I almost bought a 2003 Golf TDI 5 speed but the up the price $300 and I walked. If you are going green then I admire you; but there are a lot of things that really means besides cars. I think the A3 clan diesel is pretty atmosphere friendly and would be a very good car. If I were you I would also go back and look at or add to your list the Focus. You can get it with HID lights and their Sony audio is superior by far to the premium CT200h audio; not sure if you can get ML in CT200h in Capet own ? Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My short list included the Mini Countryman. It can have a manual and it was very fun to drive...plus the all wheel drive was attractive to me living here in Denver. In the end, there was just too much bad press about the Mini and I wanted something rock solid reliability wise. I guess we'll see how the CT does next winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My short list included the Mini Countryman. It can have a manual and it was very fun to drive...plus the all wheel drive was attractive to me living here in Denver. In the end, there was just too much bad press about the Mini and I wanted something rock solid reliability wise. I guess we'll see how the CT does next winter. But for now, I'm loving the F Sport!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a CRZ and now have a 2014 CT advance. There is little to compare to be honest other than the CRZ looks like a fighter out of battlestar galactica. Its MPG in town was disappointing whereas already the CT is better and only had it 2 weeks. The quality feel, ride and road noise are in a different planet. Steering feel in directness on the CRZ is better but mine had 195 55 16 tyres which always help however the CT rolls less and feels more confidence inspiring on the twisty bits with little effort when pushing on.

CRZ may be appealing as town car but the blind spots on the rear quarters led to a less relaxing time behind the wheel. HID lights should be standard as I found it really hard to see the road at nights with a severe light beam cutoff on the right hand side even when switching to Osram night breaker bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm loving my CT,

Unfortunately we don't have any plug in hybrids here in South Africa otherwise I may have gone that route.

What do you mean by ML?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CT I picked up is an F-Sport with 10 speaker sound system, but not the ML version. They are available here. I saw one on an RX That I test drove but finding CTs here are like hens teeth so I was happy to get the one I did... I may do an aftermarket sound upgrade once the warranty runs out...

·
Registered
270 Posts
ML is for Mark Levinson - the name Lexus attach to their top quality audio systems. In the UK, ML was only available on the very top CT. My opinion ? The audio in the CT with Nav was pretty good and the audio in my IS300h-Luxury (UK spec, 3rd best of the 4 levels) is stellar. ML will be better but will you notice at 70mph ? :)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I'm loving my CT,

Unfortunately we don't have any plug in hybrids here in South Africa otherwise I may have gone that route.

What do you mean by ML?

ML= Mark Levinson audio, very good audio but not available in USA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts