Lexus CT200h Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I've had this exact problem 3 times. The first 2 were when it was in the single digits. The 3rd time was when I hadn't driven it for a week and it was below 40 degrees. I've read the service bulletin. I am very close to the end of my warranty and it did it again the other morning. I scheduled an appointment and dropped it off with all the information needed to have the fix. I talked to the mechanic and left notes about the service bulletin. When they called back they told me they won't be swapping out the intake manifold. They told me that they have to physically witness the problem to take any action. I asked if I could video tape it. They said that isn't good enough. Thanks... So basically they ran out the timer on my warranty and if I want it fixed I have to pay full price. I find that VERY anti consumer. If you know for a fact that certain model years have this problem make it a recall. I get they want evidence but keeping it in a garage overnight won't provide the cold start let me tell you that. I had to drive 600 miles to get my oil changed and an alignment. Which cost me about $180. I guess I'll just do all my own maintenance from now on. 2012 ct 200h f sport. 52k miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ve started the car with the remote starter this morning. When i heard the knocking i took my phone and started to record. This is a start from -20c.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just like mine sounded last year but I didn’t let it run that long.
After numerous overdoses of fuel injector cleaner and spirited driving in Sport mode it hasn’t done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
@o_tomodo: Good job, bud. Glad someone caught it on video when it was that loud and bad-sounding. I took a quick video once but from inside. Yours really brings out how bad it can sound in person. Gonna show it to my mechanic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ve started the car with the remote starter this morning. When i heard the knocking i took my phone and started to record. This is a start from -20c.

You have the newer car 2014+ the TSB is for the 2011-13.

What year and how many miles you you have on yours?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have the newer car 2014+ the TSB is for the 2011-13.

What year and how many miles you you have on yours?
It a 2014 bought in August 2013, i m the second owner. The car has 66000 km(41000mi)
It s the second time this happens in a month (very cold month)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 model, with nearly 300,000km, I have had the same problem on and off since I purchased the car. I mentioned it to Lexus but they were unable to replicate the issue. All the videos are exactly the same, some of mine last longer than others. However, I do notice that if the car is not used in a few days and it is cold, it does the rattling and shaking. So far the car is fine, I will now try and log the events for future reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a 2011 Lexus owner, I received a letter from Lexus Canada saying that I am enrolled into warranty enhancement program, where there the car could idle rough or have loud noise at cold start along with an engine light and that I should bring my car in if it experienced the symptoms.

Until recently I experienced the exact symptoms where the car will have a loud noise and threw and engine code, naturally I brought it in along with an airbag recall.

Now the dealership is charging me $160+tax because they said the code that was scanned doesn't match up the code on the letter.

How as a customer we can protect or even benefit ourselves from this so called warranty enhancement program, even if we experience what was said on the program letter we are taking our on chance, either hope that the code matches up or risk paying $160+tax for a diagnostic fee for a simple code scan.
So as the customer, we are taking our on chance because we won't be able to scan the code other than matching the apparent symptoms on the letter itself (loud noise at start up + engine light)

So is this $160+tax a way to deter customers that are entitled to get coverage under this so called Warranty Enhancement program, which oriented from Lexus using an inferior part from the beginning?

Or is it just another way of money grabbing?

Calling Lexus Canada Customer service is of no help and they basically say you are on your own. Is this how your treat your customers, Lexus Canada?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it happens again and it throws a code, i have the obd2 bluetooth scanner and the code will be checked before they see it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 15 ct and my car has done this a couple of times. It actually happened couple days ago and I only have 49k on her. But no lights appeared on dash. ?‍♂ Has the dealer solved this issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I almost reproduced the knocking this winter.
We had around 10cm of snow and i had to remove the ct out of the driveway. The engine was on for 30sec. and i stopped it. An hour later i went back and got the car back on the driveway. Another 30sec. of engine running.
The next day, i went to the store and didn't use the remote starter. I started the car normally and heard a bit of knocking for about 5sec. .

Another snowfall and i had to move it in front of the garage. Next day i had the same result.

My thoughts is the regular gas containing ethanol. This winter every 3 fills, i use 91 octane gas, instead of 87 octane. We use half a tank per week. I didn't heard a single knock again and we had a lot of snowfalls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cold Start Recall

The symptoms (shudder on cold start, white smoke from tailpipe, possible misfires) point to the head gasket; however, it could be the intake manifold and/or EGR valve. Lexus has a Technical Service Bulletin, L-SB-0004-13, to address the intake manifold allowing moisture in the engine. They replaced the part number with a new one, 1712037054. I would encourage everyone having these problems to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the NHTSA. I experienced these issues intermittently for about a month and I had Lexus replace the manifold last week. This week, I blew a rod in my engine with 120,000 miles. I never had any issues with my engine, and I changed my oil regularly with Mobile 0W-20. My concern is excessive moisture in the engine may cause premature engine failure. If your engine fails while you're driving, it could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've had this with all Toyota hybrids (Gen 2 and 3 Prius, 2014 Prius V, and 2011 CT) I've owned. Similar designs so I'm not surprised. Usually not a big deal but once recently I had my car parked at the airport for a week in very cold weather and when I started it the rattling and vibration was so bad!! I had to manually raise the idle rpms to get it to "work itself out". Once I started driving it went away and was fine. Sounded like the engine was coming apart, crazy. Normally doesn't happen though, that was a pretty isolated case to be that bad. I've got 92K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the dealership help remedy this issue? I have brought my car back several times but the rattling continues and LEXUS will not assist as they are saying it due to another issue. What are some of your reccomendations?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts