Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow CT200 owners, anybody ever seen this problem? I've been having an issue with my CT200 and a failure to start problem . I've narrowed it down to cold starts only after the vehicle has been sitting for some time (overnight). It simply refuses to go into a start mode. All the instrumentation blinks and flutters as if there's insufficient power, yet the battery indicator states otherwise. This morning I sat for 15 minutes trying to get it to start. Eventually with enough attempts it will go into start mode as if no problem existed. I also have remote start which suffers the same issue. Here's a video that shows the entire problem, please take a look.

Has anybody ever seen or heard of this problem? Perhaps there's a known issue or TSB surrounding it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did a search for "Prius starting in the cold" on Google and found this helpful answer:
Toyota Prius: a sub cold starting problem dealing with the batteries - JustAnswer
There is a "known" issue on the 2006-2009 Prius for a freezing issue, this is easily repaired by replacing the IG1 relay, it's a 5 minute repair if it becomes an issue, just check to be sure when you purchase the car that is has the updated 90987-02031 relay installed if this is a concern to you.

Googling some more on the IG1 relay, I found this TSB:
http://www.toyotapart.com/IG1_RELAY_FREEZING_T-SB-0047-09.pdf

Reading the TSB, it sounds like you are experiencing what the TSB describes as the issue:
Some customers may experience multiple warning lights illuminated, vehicle not shifting from Park to
Drive, and other accessories becoming inoperative after the vehicle has cold soaked in sub freezing
(below 14F[-10C]) ambient air temperatures. A newly designed relay has been made available to
improve this condition.
I don't know that this will fix your problem, but it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow that is quite the light show!
Interesting to hear that there is a TSB for the Prius but those are old model years.
I think that the CT would not have the same issue or more like I don't think tempertaure has anything to do with it as I have a 2011 CT and no one gets colder temps (at least on this CT forum) that I know of than me. We have been having a brutal winter with tons of snow and mega cold temps -20C (~-15F) for lows to -10C(~-5F) for highs and a few nights last week that went way colder. I was away and my CT was in a garage but it was still way below -10 for the whole week and it started no problem.
It looks CPU related or something doesn't it do a few quick checks before powering on? Maybe that part is hanging up.
I would for sure get it looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking at Sewell Parts website, you can see that the part number for the ignition control relay is 9098702025, which is the same part number in question in the TSB that I previously linked to. Again, it's worth looking into for your problem. But like others said, take it up at the dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I opened up my fuse box last night on my 2013 CT and sure enough, I have the questionable relay (part #90987-02025). It's the big gray-colored relay. It's labeled as IGCT on the diagram on the fuse box cover. I've highlighted the ignition relay in red in the attached picture. Auto part Vehicle Cable management Car Technology

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution?

I have the same problem just now. Did anyone find a quick solution? Or, do I have to have this car towed to a mechanic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi fellow CT200 owners, anybody ever seen this problem? I've been having an issue with my CT200 and a failure to start problem . I've narrowed it down to cold starts only after the vehicle has been sitting for some time (overnight). It simply refuses to go into a start mode. All the instrumentation blinks and flutters as if there's insufficient power, yet the battery indicator states otherwise. This morning I sat for 15 minutes trying to get it to start. Eventually with enough attempts it will go into start mode as if no problem existed. I also have remote start which suffers the same issue. Here's a video that shows the entire problem, please take a look.

Has anybody ever seen or heard of this problem? Perhaps there's a known issue or TSB surrounding it?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Check the 12v battery , it's probably depleted
Should be 12.4v at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts