Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a clunk after going over a small pothole or bump on the road. I have checked upper ball joint, lower ball joint, sway bar link, inner and outer tierod, changed the top mounts, and brand new shock. I just can't think of anything else to look for the remedy of this clunk. Does not happen on a smoother compression like a dip on the road. It seems to only happen when the right side gets compressed.

Only thing I can think of is the sway bar mount bushing (most likely 2 of them under the chassis held by a 12 or 14mm) but would a worn out sway bar bushing make a clunking sound? My driveway is steep and every time I go up, I am almost up on 3 wheels. The right front is where the clunk is and that is where it gets compressed the most as i make a right in to the drive way. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still to this date, I am living with this clunking situation. The dealer wanted $100 an hour for diagnostic where I think they won't be able to find the problem. It will be about $600 even before they get to it which will be pointless for me to spend that much for a clunk. I have done sway bar bushing, sway bar end links, all around struts and the strut mounts for the front, tighten all visible nuts and still hearing it. The more I hear it the less I think it is the suspension. These days my tires are slightly bald and slipping the tire and upsetting the front end tends to produce the sound as well. My best guess would be the sub-frame or the engine mount that has come loose. I just don't have the time to check it right now as we are in the winter season as well as dealing with a newborn...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still to this date, I am living with this clunking situation. The dealer wanted $100 an hour for diagnostic where I think they won't be able to find the problem. It will be about $600 even before they get to it which will be pointless for me to spend that much for a clunk. I have done sway bar bushing, sway bar end links, all around struts and the strut mounts for the front, tighten all visible nuts and still hearing it. The more I hear it the less I think it is the suspension. These days my tires are slightly bald and slipping the tire and upsetting the front end tends to produce the sound as well. My best guess would be the sub-frame or the engine mount that has come loose. I just don't have the time to check it right now as we are in the winter season as well as dealing with a newborn...
yes, I thought like the way you did. I did not want to pay 100 dlrs and I dont think they can find it. I think something is loose or been gradually worn out. the sound is not serious but annoying. I used to drive a Mazda 3 and had the same sound. replaced sway bars and it is gone. the sound is like two surfaces joint hitting each other at a very slow speed. especially driving it down town with lots of train tracks

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes, I thought like the way you did. I did not want to pay 100 dlrs and I dont think they can find it. I think something is loose or been gradually worn out. the sound is not serious but annoying. I used to drive a Mazda 3 and had the same sound. replaced sway bars and it is gone. the sound is like two surfaces joint hitting each other at a very slow speed. especially driving it down town with lots of train tracks
please let me know when you figure what the sound is. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
please let me know when you figure what the sound is. Thanks so much.
Had a similar problem, and just found a solution. I heard a rattle over every bump, sounding like it came from the right rear...

turns out it was my sunroof. I guess the window was loose? I just opened and closed it and it's better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been experiencing a clunk after going over a small pothole or bump on the road. I have checked upper ball joint, lower ball joint, sway bar link, inner and outer tierod, changed the top mounts, and brand new shock. I just can't think of anything else to look for the remedy of this clunk. Does not happen on a smoother compression like a dip on the road. It seems to only happen when the right side gets compressed.

Only thing I can think of is the sway bar mount bushing (most likely 2 of them under the chassis held by a 12 or 14mm) but would a worn out sway bar bushing make a clunking sound? My driveway is steep and every time I go up, I am almost up on 3 wheels. The right front is where the clunk is and that is where it gets compressed the most as i make a right in to the drive way. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
I have same issue. While car is stationary, turn steering wheel to the left and to the right. Most likely steering column. Feel up under dash for column and feel it when wheel is turned. There is a thread somewhere on here about it. Hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts