1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200h Premium Navi
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2012 Lexus CT200h
Current Mileage: 261820+ mi

Yesterday Saturday May-28, during a typical morning drive for groceries, the Check Hybrid System message displayed along orange triangle and check engine light. Mileage was approx. 261770 mi. IMA was disabled and ICE was always on. Car is sooo slow without IMA.

Lexus diagnostics appt is scheduled for Tuesday.

I’ve reset the powertrain twice and both times, the same warnings re-appear after a drive cycle (warm up + cool down). This was done to confirm it wasn’t a random or unique event.

HV battery doesn’t seem to hold charge and also discharges quickly. That is all the diagnostic info I have at this time. I’ll probably see if a store can retrieve a code today. I suspect it is the HV battery’s end of lifecycle, based on the age.

Solution options to come as well after I do some research.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The code was P0A80. They recommended replacement of the hybrid battery and hybrid ECU. Cost was estimated at $5641 USD, but no sales tax since the dealer is in a no sales tax state.

I’ve since reset the powertrain again and the warning messages and indicator light have gone away and not come back, but the battery performance is still poor.

I’ve elected to wait at least until fall to replace it with lithium battery cells and recycle the old, NiMH cells. The lithium battery pricing has been going up. $1990 in Jan-2022 to $2170 in Jun-2022. There is also a $137 shipping cost, which is probably also elevated due to fuel costs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where are you buying the Li-ion?

I read less self discharged, higher capacity /lighter, but narrower operating range.

So if you have cold winters, maybe NiMH is better but Toyota has started using Li-ion anyway.

Hope you get it sorted out. Original Toyota also increased by about $120 Canadian here at one dealership from $2,800 something to $2950 Canadian.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes me wonder how the operating range between the OEM hybrid battery charge controller which is intended for NiMH would fair with Li+ batteries which have the best life if maintained around half charge.

The cold and hot temps are somewhat mitigated via garage storage, but I still need the car to sit outside for 8-10 hrs per work day when I am on-site. Perhaps we’ll see how it goes since there’s currently not much observational data published online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts