Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - not sure where this should go so I'm posting it here.

The other day, the check hybrid system light came on, then the other engine lights. The engine won't start and the car can only be put to neutral.

The dealer first said it was the vacuum switching valve that should be replaced. Now they said it was EGR valve that needs to be replaced. Anyone had any experiences with these valves or this warning?

Also, can the car still be driven with a mulfunctioned EGR valve, or would it even start?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
224 Posts
This first thread is posted in the right place (and one thread is enough, everyone sees all the posts anyway). But I can't think of why the EGR valve or system would cause a check hybrid system light. I think that only comes on because of hybrid battery situations. But, I suppose the other engine lights could be something else. What lights? Any codes thrown?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! No, I've not been given any codes this time (first time they were P0A0F and P3190). The other engine lights are simply all other lights when you first switch on the engine. They stayed on.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Hmmm, with those codes, you can see that they are related to the engine not turning on. But, the engine only turns on AFTER the hybrid battery system. So if there is a hybrid battery error preventing it from turning on, the engine will also fail to turn on. The EGR is just for the engine though, and shouldn't have anything to do with the issue. While the EGR is a common issue on these cars, this is not that case. Same with the vacuum switch valve, that's an engine thing. More likely, the traction battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced. How many miles? What year? You mention the engine isn't turning on, but is the car going into "READY" mode? you say it can only go into neutral, but does it seem like the EV is running? Though, you say the other lights are all on too, so sounds like the EV system isn't working either. So yeah I'd look more into the battery system than the engine systems. Sounds like you should find a new shop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that makes sense. Sounds more like a battery issue. The car has aged, from 2011.

Still, I'm curious if a car with EGR valve problem can be started? Just when I left the shop, I saw the car driven from parking lot, which makes me now wonder if they simply boosted the car but without telling me this fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean, would a lexus car's computer stop the engine when an EGR valve problem is detected?

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
I really can't say about all of that. But if the EGR was a problem, the engine should still run, just rough. But if the batteries are from 2011, yeah that's pretty old by now. Though, it's weird that you saw it driving. Sounds like it's definitely time for another shop!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem is my car broke down in downtown and that's the only Lexus dealership I could tow the car to. Looks like my option now is let them "fix" the car so I can get it out of their door as soon as possible;-(

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been watching here waiting for additional info, and I believe you have given it..

At power-on everything lights up like Christmas, if so that’s the 12v battery failure, bring a decent 12v start battery down to your car and swap it out and drive home..

“Usually” when this fault is detected by the system, the HV battery will pulse juice to the 12v start battery for temporary use.. But for this to happen, must attempt a start and Christmas lights, power off and wait a couple minutes, start and go home.. Normal operation, and will happen a Few times as a warning something’s going to happen as the 12v battery weakens..

if it’s at a Lexus dealership, they should have identified this, unless they’re looking for bonus cash playing around with it..

I may be wrong, but it is a Simple Cheap test, and off you go if i am correct 👍

·
Registered
106 Posts
Been watching here waiting for additional info, and I believe you have given it..

At power-on everything lights up like Christmas, if so that’s the 12v battery failure, bring a decent 12v start battery down to your car and swap it out and drive home..

“Usually” when this fault is detected by the system, the HV battery will pulse juice to the 12v start battery for temporary use.. But for this to happen, must attempt a start and Christmas lights, power off and wait a couple minutes, start and go home.. Normal operation, and will happen a Few times as a warning something’s going to happen as the 12v battery weakens..

if it’s at a Lexus dealership, they should have identified this, unless they’re looking for bonus cash playing around with it..

I may be wrong, but it is a Simple Cheap test, and off you go if i am correct 👍
Sorry, No way
Hv battery cannot charge 12v battery!
Without 12v healthy battery, car computers and inverter converter
Are shut down .
Only the mg (motor generator) can charge the
Batteries via inverter
Converter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts