Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing my own oil. However, I've never had experience with an oil filter like the one in our CT's. Is it...like how it looks? Unscrew the filter casing(?), get rid of the filter inside and replace it with a new one, screw the case back on?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think you are right. That is the way it was on my RX.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I checked out a few DIY engine oil changes in the Club Lexus forums, and I'm guessing the CT is the same way.
Our cars are too new right now...I guess it'd be a while before someone posts something up again about this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, by the way...

Is the oil filter same in a CT200h as the Prius/Corolla/Matrix?
Toyota Genuine Part: 04152-YZZA6

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes... SAE-0W-20, but the manual did mention something about an alternative if this one isn't available. I should've wrote it down. What confused me a little is why the manual says "4.4 quarts with oil filter" and ___ quarts with no filter. Wish I had the manual with me...but, gosh, that thing is huge!:eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't done my oil change yet, but I believe these have the canister filters, not the usual type of filter I have been accustomed to. I have been told to be careful when reinstalling the filter, the threads are fairly fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going to pick up some Mobil 1 0w-20. I think I've seen this oil at Walmart before. It's the one with the green caps.

Anyways, our manual also states that we need to change our engine oil every 10k miles. I think I will change it every 5k since oil is not that expensive. What do you think?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is if the manual says every 10K miles, then it's perfectly fine.
I used Mobil1 on my previous vehicle (Jeep), and there was a time I went over a year with 15K miles without a change. I was expecting sludgy syrup to pour out, but surprisingly, it was still golden...and ran perfectly fine for the next 4 yrs. (until I sold it for the CT :D)
Plus, owner's manuals usually stay in the safe range. For example, on our older cars we've always been recommended 3,000 miles, but able to go much more. I'm thinking if it says 10K, we can probably make it up to 15K or more without any problems. I'm thought of making oil changes an annual thing, but...we'll see (I may change my mind):rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
10k is our oil change interval. Our gas engines aren't running all the time as they would in a normal gas powered car.

If the Prius engine oil change involves a canister filter refill, then the CT will too, since they have the same drivetrain. My RX had a canister. It's supposed to be more eco friendly. BMW and Mercedes have been doing that for a while. Instead of replacing the whole screw-on filter, only the inner element gets changed out, reducing a lot of waste. Supposedly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
10k is our oil change interval. Our gas engines aren't running all the time as they would in a normal gas powered car.

If the Prius engine oil change involves a canister filter refill, then the CT will too, since they have the same drivetrain. My RX had a canister. It's supposed to be more eco friendly. BMW and Mercedes have been doing that for a while. Instead of replacing the whole screw-on filter, only the inner element gets changed out, reducing a lot of waste. Supposedly.
So for our car, we do not need to change the oil filter? Just replace engine oil and oil inside the canister?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, by the way...

So, can anyone confirm this?

william said:
So for our car, we do not need to change the oil filter? Just replace engine oil and oil inside the canister?
I guess if someone answers my question, it'll answer yours?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think you're confusing "canister" for the oil filter element. there is still a filter element that needs to be replaced, but it is housed in a "canister" type of receptacle. as mentioned, mercedes & bmw have been doing this for a long time now.

in the picture below, the ct200h doesn't use the traditional black colored oil filter, but rather the orange filter element as seen towards the bottom of the picture:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted by YuDanJa
oh, by the way...

If anyone cares to know...

Confirmed...the same part no. works for our CT's.

I called several Lexus service depts. They were not willing to give up the info...some actually lied to me saying the car is so new they don't have the part info yet (but, if I come in to have it serviced, they'll magically have the part). Others tried to scare me on consequences of putting in the wrong part and why it is important to have it serviced by Lexus. I gave up on them.

So how did I get confirmation? Had a local authorized Toyota parts distributor call them for me. Instant "yes, it's the same part" from Lexus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, this is the oil filter I've bought from my Lexus dealer, and it's the same procedure as Gen III Prius. The plastic underbody shield is a tight fit to take down if you're using ramps to raise the vehicle at home. It wouldn't be an issue on a hoist.
You need a good quality oil filter housing socket, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG
I've been able to get it from PartSource in Canada.

Also: The Toyota 0W-20 oil available from the dealer is the best price out there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts