Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Changed Front Brake Pads

16K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BlueberryJam 
#1 ·
I just changed the front pads on my CT200h 2011. I took my time, it was about an hour including cleanup.
My old ones were almost gone at 117,000 miles. I brake hard.

Bought these pads "Bosch BC1184A QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Pad Set"
Came with all the clips needed. No squealing so far, nice and quiet. Also came with a packet of grease.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FXDG4S

Bought this brake piston tool, easier to use than a C-Clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCT1XMI

There are a lot of tutorials for this car, so I dont need to go into detail. Just look for Prius Gen 3 brake change tutorials.
Tools Needed:
12mm socket = for brake line bracket (torque is about 10 ft-lbs)
14mm socket = for QTY 2 screws holding on the caliper to the sliding pins (torque is about 25ft-lbs)
Needle Nose pliers = To remove the old clips on the brake pad frame and to install new ones on the frame and brake pads
13/16 socket = wheel lug nuts (76 ft-lbs)
Car Jack

**Make sure you pull the batteries out of the keys or move them far away; DO NOT open any doors while doing the brake change**
If the keys are near the car or you open the door then the brake system will energize. If you have the caliper off then the piston can pop out and it would be a pain to put back together along with having to reset the abs system.
Some people choose to disconnect the car battery, I did not do that and had no issues.

1. Remove brake bracket with 12mm socket.
2. Remove the two 14mm nuts on the side of the caliper.
3. Pull off caliper, use clamp to press in piston.
4. Pull off old pads and old support clips.
5. Install new pad support clips on the caliper frame. 2 per side of the caliper.
6. Ensure wear clips are installed on new pads and install the new pads. Easiest way is to put the bottom of the pad in first and tilt into place.
7. Pull out sliding pins, hold the rubber boot with two fingers and pull off the pin to ensure you dont tear the boots.
8. Clean and lube the pins and press back in until the boot snaps back in place. Slide the pins in an out to make sure they move freely.
9. Reinstall caliper.
10. Reinstall two 14mm bolts on the caliper, 25 ft-lbs.
11. Reinstall 12mm hose bracket bolt, 10 ft-lbs.
12. Reinstall the tires, 76 ft-lbs on the lugs.
13. Repeat on other side.
14. Pump brakes to ensure they work.

This is what came with the pads.

Text Font

See less See more
#5 ·
A couple of questions, took your suggestion and bought the Bosch parts. But there were a couple of differences in the brake parts supplied. My OEM brakes only had 1 of the smaller clips attached to each brake pad. Looking at the photo of the parts you received these are the smaller in size clips and would be the ones in the middle line. Also when I received the parts from Bosch, 4 of these smaller clips were packaged separately with a note about type 2 vs type 1. So did you install 1 or 2 of these clips on each brake pad? Also the OEM brake pads each had a thin metal shim between the brake pad and the piston or caliper. When I looked at them they didn't seem to fit with the Bosch pads, i.e. the built on clips holding them to the back of the OEM pads did not seem to fit the Bosch pads. Did you use them or just assume they didn't go with the Bosch pads?
thanks.
J.

#7 ·
Just an update to my own question. I did use two of the smaller clips per pad and have had no problem with that. Despite that the OEM brake pads only had one per pad. Not sure about the other shims which the original pads had other than to assume Bosch included everything they thought needed replacing. So far with only a few more miles on the car no problem yet.

#9 ·
I just changed the front pads on my CT200h 2011. I took my time, it was about an hour including cleanup.

Came with all the clips needed. No squealing so far, nice and quiet. Also came with a packet of grease.

There are a lot of tutorials for this car, so I dont need to go into detail. Just look for Prius Gen 3 brake change tutorials.
Tools Needed:
14mm socket = for QTY 2 screws holding on the caliper to the sliding pins (torque is about 25ft-lbs)
Needle Nose pliers = To remove the old clips on the brake pad frame and to install new ones on the frame and brake pads
Car Jack

Make sure you pull the batteries out of the keys or move them far away; DO NOT open any doors while doing the brake change
If the keys are near the car or you open the door then the brake system will energize. If you have the caliper off then the piston can pop out and it would be a pain to put back together along with having to reset the abs system.
Some people choose to disconnect the car battery, I did not do that and had no issues.

5. Install new pad support clips on the caliper frame. 2 per side of the caliper.
6. Ensure wear clips are installed on new pads and install the new pads. Easiest way is to put the bottom of the pad in first and tilt into place.
7. Pull out sliding pins, hold the rubber boot with two fingers and pull off the pin to ensure you dont tear the boots.
8. Clean and lube the pins and press back in until the boot snaps back in place. Slide the pins in an out to make sure they move freely.
9. Reinstall caliper.

View attachment 58241
Would you know if the 2014 be any different?

#10 ·

Tools Needed:
Car Jack

Make sure you pull the batteries out of the keys or move them far away; DO NOT open any doors while doing the brake change

9. Reinstall caliper.

View attachment 58241
You’re amazing. Im struggling w my piston rn and have a feeling its because i opened the door. Lol disconnecting the battery asap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.