Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one tried to change their rear indicator lamp?
According to the manual I should remove the two screws on the side of the lamp and then pull the lamp backwards...
I manage to get it moving a little but after that its stuck like hell. Have I missed something or should I use more violence?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any one tried to change their rear indicator lamp?
According to the manual I should remove the two screws on the side of the lamp and then pull the lamp backwards...
I manage to get it moving a little but after that its stuck like hell. Have I missed something or should I use more violence?
I also tried to remove the tail lights to no avail... kinda difficult to "pull" the lamp backwards when there is nothing to hold on to to actually pull it.

I did this once on my Cayenne (same instructions) and it was a pain to pull it because it is basically being held by some hooks. But at least the Cayenne lamps had something to hold on to while pulling, the CT ones are just too slick.

Has anyone been able to figure out the right technique to achieve this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to see, but it seems to be a clip in the end part of the taillight. Perhaps it slides sideways, but it almost looks like its in the wrong direction from pulling the lamp backwards?
nr 81496 in this picture:

Gonna try some more tomorrow, ill be back if I manage to do this... or if I brake the car :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to do this today. The lamp is basically fixed at the bottom, so if you lurk it out its quite easy. I did start by removing the two visible screws (those who it says to remove in the manual) and then I did stand on the side of the car and pushed straight backwards while winkle it back and forth.

Here is a picture of before and after (changed from the orange blinkers to some that light orange but have a chrome coating):

This is the only thing holding the lamp on the side, slides nicely so no need to focus on this one.

Here is all the points that holds the lamp (except the two screws ofc, you see the holes for those to the right but I didnt mark them up):

And here you see the holders on the bottom of the lamp, these are the critical once that need to be lurked (is that even the right word? Hope you understand what I mean) out to loose its grip:

Best regards
/Max

·
Registered
87 Posts
^^^ thanks for the write-up. Unfortunately I can't see the pics at work... argggh.

What exactly do you mean by lurk? So the technique was to stand on the side and try pushing it out (towards the rear of the car)? I guess that makes more sense... last time I was standing on the back trying to "pull" the damn thing LOL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I have been away for a long weekend.
Its irritating to miss those small words that are so useful, but ill try to describe it and then I made a picture of.
First of all you open the trunk and remove the two screws there (leave the trunk open).
Stand beside the car and push the lamp backwards (no he-man strength), when it stops you push a little to the left (still keeping the pressure backwards too), then you push a little to the right.. and you continue like that. Shouldn't take many "wiggles" back and forth to make the lamp pop out.
Be careful to not scratch anything! Remember, you do not need to push the hardest you can! Keep a steady but not aggressive pressure backwards while "wiggle".

And here is the picture:

Hope this explained the process a bit better!?
Best regards
/Max

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another great work Max, could you post pics when the lights are on, during night.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry, I have been away for a long weekend.
Its irritating to miss those small words that are so useful, but ill try to describe it and then I made a picture of.
First of all you open the trunk and remove the two screws there (leave the trunk open).
Stand beside the car and push the lamp backwards (no he-man strength), when it stops you push a little to the left (still keeping the pressure backwards too), then you push a little to the right.. and you continue like that. Shouldn't take many "wiggles" back and forth to make the lamp pop out.
Be careful to not scratch anything! Remember, you do not need to push the hardest you can! Keep a steady but not aggressive pressure backwards while "wiggle".

And here is the picture:

Hope this explained the process a bit better!?
Best regards
/Max

You too awesome... I will give it another try this weekend. Thanks again!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well changed mine today but to my horror I snapped the black plastic that has the 2 bolts in. Followed the instructions to the letter. You cannot just buy this bit, have looked on Sewell, so have glued it and hope it holds. Really annoyed, why do Lexus make these things user replaced but then make it really hard to change.

So, be careful when changing those fried eggs.......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well changed mine today but to my horror I snapped the black plastic that has the 2 bolts in. Followed the instructions to the letter. You cannot just buy this bit, have looked on Sewell, so have glued it and hope it holds. Really annoyed, why do Lexus make these things user replaced but then make it really hard to change.

So, be careful when changing those fried eggs.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Arg! Trying so hard to get these rear tail lights off. I have the chrome bulbs also and would love to put them in there.

I've tried wiggling the lights while pushing back on the lights from the side of the car, pulling on them and wiggling etc. Really had no success pulling them out of the clips. The advice above is detailed and great but I just can't seem to make it work. Anyone else have any comments since the last post? Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Arg! Trying so hard to get these rear tail lights off. I have the chrome bulbs also and would love to put them in there.

I've tried wiggling the lights while pushing back on the lights from the side of the car, pulling on them and wiggling etc. Really had no success pulling them out of the clips. The advice above is detailed and great but I just can't seem to make it work. Anyone else have any comments since the last post? Thanks!
Insert something into the slight gap between the tail light assembly and the body of the car (on the side nearest the rear wheel opening) and wiggle it. Find something that is plastic or wood so it won't mar the paint and take it slow. Once you get past the dirt or whatever is holding it together it works easily. It just sticks a little. If you are wearing nitrile gloves you might be able to just grasp the side and the cohesion might be enough to let you do it. It is just awkward. But it does come off and once you get the hang of it, the second one is much easier as you see the angle at which it comes out. There are some guides in there that make you have to pull it straight out toward the rear (I think).

·
Registered
30 Posts
It took me some time to get the tail light assembly out. I removed the screws and I did what Joe166 said about nitrile gloves. With the gloves on I was able to get some friction on the outside of the assembly and held the opposite side inside the car. I then yanked at it. It took about 4-5 yanks before the assembly came out. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Insert something into the slight gap between the tail light assembly and the body of the car (on the side nearest the rear wheel opening) and wiggle it. Find something that is plastic or wood so it won't mar the paint and take it slow. Once you get past the dirt or whatever is holding it together it works easily. It just sticks a little. If you are wearing nitrile gloves you might be able to just grasp the side and the cohesion might be enough to let you do it. It is just awkward. But it does come off and once you get the hang of it, the second one is much easier as you see the angle at which it comes out. There are some guides in there that make you have to pull it straight out toward the rear (I think).
Joe, coincidentally, I spent most of today trying to remove the tail light assembly (without success!) before I just came across your thread. I'll give it another try tomorrow following your advice. Questions...do you know if the rear directional bulb has a conventional socket vs. a CK, and would I need a load equalizer for the LED bulb (http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm) ?? Also, do you know if the CT has a "bulb out" warning system ?

Plenty of LED's to choose from on this site: http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

·
Registered
842 Posts
Joe, coincidentally, I spent most of today trying to remove the tail light assembly (without success!) before I just came across your thread. I'll give it another try tomorrow following your advice. Questions...do you know if the rear directional bulb has a conventional socket vs. a CK, and would I need a load equalizer for the LED bulb (LED Flashers Blinkers Resistors Load Equalizers for Turn Signal Replacement Bulbs Rapid Flashing Fix) ?? Also, do you know if the CT has a "bulb out" warning system ?

Plenty of LED's to choose from on this site: Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
I really don't know anything about LED bulbs. All I did was replace the turn signals with chrome bulbs to avoid the fried egg look. I also am not sure what exactly a conventional socket is. Most newer cars seem to have the same type of sockets, which are totally different from what I grew up seeing. I no longer know what normal is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really don't know anything about LED bulbs. All I did was replace the turn signals with chrome bulbs to avoid the fried egg look. I also am not sure what exactly a conventional socket is. Most newer cars seem to have the same type of sockets, which are totally different from what I grew up seeing. I no longer know what normal is.
Thanks.....and I agree ! The more we've improve on the norm...the more complicated its gotten !!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
i was able to remove the tail light by putting one hand on the outside, one on the inside (black part) squeezing together like i'm squeezing a football and pushing towards the back at the same time. the passenger side came out easily. the driver side was pretty difficult but it came out.

to the dork who said to use something to pry the housing, why would you even suggest such a thing? the paint is hard rounded surface where the light meets the body. it's easy as anything to scratch the paint there. there are some seriously stupid people on this forum. DO NOT put anything against the body to pry the housing. it wouldn't help anyway. any motion that pries the light away from the body in any direction except straight towards the rear would not help. straight back is the ONLY direction you need. prying perpendicular to that direction is not helpful and dangerous.

to the person who broke the black plastic part when doing this: i don't know how you did that if you followed these instructions. at no point do you put any pressure on the black plastic part where you bolt the housing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed chrome stealth bulbs in the front and rear last week. It really does help if you have nitrile or rubber gloves on, just use a slight wiggle motion like Maxa suggested and the housing will come out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i was able to remove the tail light by putting one hand on the outside, one on the inside (black part) squeezing together like i'm squeezing a football and pushing towards the back at the same time. the passenger side came out easily. the driver side was pretty difficult but it came out.

to the dork who said to use something to pry the housing, why would you even suggest such a thing? the paint is hard rounded surface where the light meets the body. it's easy as anything to scratch the paint there. there are some seriously stupid people on this forum. DO NOT put anything against the body to pry the housing. it wouldn't help anyway. any motion that pries the light away from the body in any direction except straight towards the rear would not help. straight back is the ONLY direction you need. prying perpendicular to that direction is not helpful and dangerous.

to the person who broke the black plastic part when doing this: i don't know how you did that if you followed these instructions. at no point do you put any pressure on the black plastic part where you bolt the housing.
Has it ever occurred to you that the "dork" who suggested using a plastic or wood pry tool might be slightly more coordinated than you must be? It worked for me and no paint chip anywhere.

Why the name calling? Basic insecurity? Manhood problems? Go work it out elsewhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
has it occurred to you that not everyone here is as coordinated as you?

pry tool against your paint = stupid

and in this case not only useless but puts pressure in a direction opposite to useful. there's a reason the manual tells you to pull to the rear of the car. it's because the clips release in that directly NOT when you pry 90 deg to that direction.

why don't you post something that's useful to most normal people. not super coordinated people like you.

if the name sticks friend. pry bar to paint is stupid.

sorry i called you a dork. i only meant to say the thing you said was stupid. my apologies.

Has it ever occurred to you that the "dork" who suggested using a plastic or wood pry tool might be slightly more coordinated than you must be? It worked for me and no paint chip anywhere.

Why the name calling? Basic insecurity? Manhood problems? Go work it out elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts