Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it's getting warmer out, I am noticing a soft rattling sound coming from the center storage console. Sounds like a plastic on plastic sound. Holding the console lid down with my arm does not stop this noise, i believe it is coming from the two hinges inside, or possibly somewhere else inside that mechanism. This noise was not there when I bought the car two months ago, however, it was about 20 deg outside then. Has anyone else heard this noise, and if so, is there a fix? I did a search but no one seems to have reported this specific noise yet.

I've still got approx. 25K miles left on my warranty, so if there is no easy fix I'll have Lexus take it apart at the next maintenance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Have you taken everything out, including the coin holder? I have taken apart the console and I can't imagine what it might be. Try driving around with the console lid up. That should help you narrow it down.

Good luck, I hate noises like this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I have a pretty rough patch of road on my way home and so it gave me a good chance to do some troubleshooting of where the noise is coming from. For reference I turned the radio off, and I am driving about 45mph. I heard a soft plastic on plastic or maybe plastic on metal sound. I then opened the center console and left the top straight up. The noise got much louder. After getting home, I looked very closely at the design. I think the noise may be coming from the two metal hinges rubbing against the plastic underneath the lid of the center console. The only other thing that I saw was that the back portion of the center console is actually separate from the rest of the console for some reason. There is a small gap there, and maybe that back part is moving around on its own over bumps. For now I tightened the two screws that hold the latch in place, and that seemed to tighten up the entire lid of the console. I'll test again on the way home tomorrow.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The only thing rattle in my CT is the electronic device holder if my phone is not on it. I usually just turn it 90 degree and that would stop it. I don't remember anything that rattles inside the center console.

I would also have someone else drive and you sit on the passenger seat and listen. Sometime the sound echo funny inside a car and the sound may not be coming from the center console when you are on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had noticed a similar issue and tracked it to the device holder.
If you remove this holder, a phone actually fits quite nicely in the remaining receptacle.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By center console I don't mean the console where he radio or the device holder sits. I am talking about the center storage console where the arm rest is. Sorry for the confusion I didn't know what else to call it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok it's in the lid. Here's what I know:

1. It doesn't happen when it's cold. If the temp gets above about 45 deg outside, it starts the "rumble" sound over bumpy roads. I haven't had the car in the summer yet, so we'll see once it get hot outside.

2. When I open the lid part way, the noise is much louder. If I open the lid completely vertical, the noise goes away completely.

3. The noise happens with or without the coin holder in place.

4. There is absolutely nothing else stored in the console.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to close this thread out... When I went to the dealer for the 30K service I had them replace the center storage console latch. They also made some adjustments to the console lid, and now it opens smoother and no more rattles! Not sure what they did or what is adjustable, I'm guessing something with the spring mechanism itself. So if you develop this issue, just take it in and they should be able to make a simple adjustment that gets rid of the rattling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts